Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the Z a good daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 08:59 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is my daily driver and like someone else said, i wish my drive to work was longer too. round trip to and from work is just 4 miles. i ALMOST look forward to going to work just so that i can drive the z. i also look forward to leaving work, but that is for a combination of reasons.

the ride is really nice for a sports car and there is no tire noise at all, except on bumpy or grainy roads... the cabin is really quiet. no creaks or groans coming from anywhere.

there is the issue with the blind spots that i have lessened with the convex mirrors... no blind spots at all when i drop the top though. by the way, the wind buffeting is really mild.

we also have a 2004 lexus rx 330 for those times that we need to carry more people or stuff around. which if we only had one car, i would say i would have to keep the lexus... just for its practicality... although it cant even come close to the fun i have in my roadster, obviously.

gary
Old 09-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Mikestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mb27
My Z has been my daily driver since Feb and I've put alomst 16,000 miles on it. The only issue I have is the paint. Because of the low profile of the z, everything on the highway hits it, nicks it. I have the clear bra, and that has white nicks in it, though the paint underneath is protected. I wash my car ~ 3 times a week and it never looks clean. One trip to work and back and it is filthy.

Mechanically it is great! The ride is not bumpy, at least to me. I had the pulling to the right issue, but the dealer did the TSB about 10,000 miles ago and it has been fine since.
Just curious, how long is your commute and what color is your Z? Looking dirty after one day makes it sound like you have black or some other dark color.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:49 AM
DavidD

Default Yes, good daily driver.

I drive everyday to work. The only advice I have is to definitely get a clear bra. The front end of this car takes a beating, rocks, etc. After about 5,000 miles the front bumper and front hood will have scratches, chips, chunks, etc. People blame the Nissan paint. A clear bra is a must. My mpg if my right foot is kind 20/29 (6 sp MT). The part of the car that gets unbearably dirty are the wheels, the brake dust is unbelievable especially on the track Rays wheels. I have to clean them each week or they look like s***. When I mean clean I mean degrease, wash, wipe, the whole 9 yards to keep them clean. As far as the paint. I have Silverstone and that stays clean. I don’t know about the other colors.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:21 PM
mb27

Yeah, I have a black Z, and have probably the worst possible conditions for a black car. I drive ~100 miles a day during the week. On the way I drive past a sand and stone supply company, which has big dump trucks entering and leaving. On the highway I dive through about 5 miles of construction, which has been going on for a year and isn't scheduled to be finished untill 2005. In this zone there is sand, mud and fresh tar all waiting to be slung up my car. Also I have no garage and a ton of pine trees around my driveway. It's a battle that's for sure.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:00 AM
cobf32

Angry

I have put 18000 miles on my Z as a daily driver (its is the only car I have). With the exception of tire feathering, it has been a pure joy.

Yesterday, the ECU decided to take a dump and go into limp mode leaving me no way to get to work...GREAT, now I have to get it towed to the dealer and rent a car etc. I understand that **** happens sometimes, but my Z left me stranded with all of its computerized BS so I don't think I will ever trust it again.

I guess it is time to buy a beater... something with a real distributor and a carburator that I can count on to get to work when the marvels of modern electronics (j/k) decides to leave me up **** creek again.

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 09-07-2003, 12:48 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it as a daily driver for one year and a little over 20K miles. It is way too expensive as a daily driver for me. I average 16-17 mpg in all city driving and burned through a set of S-03s every 5K miles. I do track the car so that didn't help the tire wear.

My operational cost in gas and tires was an astonishing $550 a month. That's $550 a month above and beyond the car payment. I bought an '03 Civic Si Hatch as my daily driver and couldn't be happier. The Z will be a weekender/track queen.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:54 PM
cincyspider

My Z(s) have(has) been my daily driver for the last 30 years bud!

nuff said......