2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Naz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman

You did NOT just say that...

But seriously, I'm in St Louis - not exactly snow like you have. So far I've had it for a grand total of two dustings. FWIW, I had an RX-7 back when I was about your age (guessing)... it SUCKED in the snow, but it was totally worth it the other 360 days a year.
Oh I did

I'm 18, been driving a 95 corolla for a year with no accidents/tickets or anything...and since I did so well in school they agreed to give me the down payment towards a new car and pay for part of the insurance. So sadly, they have some say over what I get.

And I apologize for making another daily driver post, I did search and saw a few similar threads but many of them either went off topic or didn't answer the questions I had. So, I figured I'd make a new one

With that said I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the car, thanks for the help everyone!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
QNman

Originally Posted by Naz
Oh I did

I'm 18, been driving a 95 corolla for a year with no accidents/tickets or anything...and since I did so well in school they agreed to give me the down payment towards a new car and pay for part of the insurance. So sadly, they have some say over what I get.

And I apologize for making another daily driver post, I did search and saw a few similar threads but many of them either went off topic or didn't answer the questions I had. So, I figured I'd make a new one

With that said I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the car, thanks for the help everyone!

If you're only 18, you better price insurance first... you may end up in one of those situations where your premium exceeds your payment... not a good place to be. I'm not picking on you, but insurance for under 21 single folks is outrageous on two-seater sports cars.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

With my 17" blizzaks the car drive fine in up to a few inches of snow. Unfortunately the Z is my only car so I have to put up with it getting the crap beaten out of it all winter. At this point I guess I'll just keep on doing it because the damage has been done....but I wish I could have had a second car from the start to avoid abusing this one with road salt, cinders, etc. Anyways, get a set of snow tires if you have to drive it in the snow and you will do fine.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
OUTsane

Remember to go through the car wash regularly, it'll help with the salt issue. Or if you can manage to get under the car yourself, just spray the salt off.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konaforever
Canadian Reggae Singer from the 90's!

http://www.myspace.com/snowtheartist
Informer... a leke boom boom down.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 AM
themyst

blizzaks and some careful driving, you'll be ok in the snow.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
MTB350z

I have an 04 350Z touring and i live in New Jersey also, Northern right by Paramaus and i use mine as an everyday driver, rain is fine with the occasional spin out and fish tail if you are being stupid and forget the ground is wet, as for snow, for the most part forget about it, you wont go anywhere, get a set of bridgestone blizzaks and hope for the best, just got them this winter and its a huge improvement but still it is a RWD car...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM
2boosted4u

yea the z is a great DD i hate to say i put almost 20k on my z last year from traveling to different jobs sites but i got there qucik and in style lol
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
350licious

Originally Posted by Entaille
I drive my z year round. I can handle light snow (2-3 inches tops). usually only a few snow days a year at my location but this year was a bit heavier then normal, the z was immobile for a few days but I used up some PTO and had a nice little break from work.

Can't justify the cost of a set of snow wheels/tires for a few days out of the year, and usually only needing them 1-2 days out of the year since the snow stays pretty light.
Agreed, I worked from home the few days we had snow here in SJ, (last week), and I cannot justify spending all the money for snow tires on that. I actually have the stock tires and they do fine in the rain.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
mrf350z

This is about as useful as that post in Florida asking if adding air conditioning was a good option to have for their house. There was that other post on the camping site about the need for bug spray in the woods..now that was an informative thread...Oh and the coast guard site where the guy was asking if it was a good idea to have a life jacket on a ocean fishing boat. Have you considered MOVING so you don't subject your Z to such crappy weather? Man, it's always about me, never about the car... Look around and observe...think to yourself -what if the car broke down -how would you get around -same as a snow day in the Z. I live in NC, it's snowed a few times, but I don't venture out just because I know the dolts driving are more dangerous than the roads themselves. A Z is a sled in the snow. just point the nose in the direction you want to go and ease on the gas...good luck - Oh BTW, try I Ching - that will give you a better answer than my banter
Old 06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you get a 350Z or RSX?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a g35 6mt. drove it year round for 2 years. Definitely keep the stock rims with all weather tires on them if you upgrade rims. Ultra performence tires suck in the snow.

Only times i didn't drive it in the winter when it was a foot deep of snow.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
phos

Default DD Z

I've only been driving it to work couple times/week since I got it 3/20/08; I teach and have more online than ground courses currently. But nothing wrong with Z as DD:

On 25 m. suburbia through 'city' this last Thursday, I avg'd 29.6 mpg over 40 some minutes w/ avg. 37 mph. Dozen + traffic lights, but a lot of 60 - 75 mph bursts in between; just had oil change & tire pressure touch up. Highway avg. down to 25 with a/c. If doing 100 for significant time, expect 21-22 mpg area.

If snow, you'd buy 'snow tires'; they have deeper threads for traction. There are snap-on grips for fresh fluff over hard pack, and of course chains for ice. Used to live in snow climates and countries where getting studded tires for winter was norm. You have to learn snow and ice driving technique though, for starting, braking etc.

As for paint; cheaper to get car repainted once or more times over lifespan of car than getting another car. That's simple arithmetic! Don't know why people would drive in sun only; sun is hot, and fades paint. I prefer dark rainy stufff, even wear tinted driving lenses at night, but that's another thread. But get car sealed, that'll make it easier to clean at least. Plastic film over lights and/or use lens protectent.

Z has the power to make MT easy in traffic, and you get to practice everything in slow mode, and sound orchestration easier to distinguish.
Just rainX the windshield and forget about rains.

The main objections to traffic is stop-n-go in hot weather where engine has less cooling; though as long as temp gauge ok that's not major problem. The other is distance; best to have about 10 miles /10 min of highway cruising to boil out water in oil from combustion process, 'blowby', and condensation from night/day cooling. You could always 'take the long way home' if you're nearby, or, if you're too close, take public transport, or ride a bike ..
Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
bigpow

still touching this subject,
how can one theft/vandal proof the car when parking in the city?

I heard car cover actually prevents vandal/theft.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:01 PM
ambientflier

I don't see what the big deal is about snow and rwd cars. I live in NY, and we have some bad winters here and hilly roads. I got my gf an '06 Mustang, and she drives it year round. A good set of snow tires on all 4 wheels works wonders. When I drive her car in the snow, it's actually about as hard to break traction using snow tires, as it is using regular tires on dry roads. Braking and handling is also immediate. It just sticks. I can slam on the brakes and dip the nose pretty hard before it starts to skid on the snow. I don't see how it can be any different with a 350Z.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Petey

Originally Posted by ambientflier
I don't see what the big deal is about snow and rwd cars. I live in NY, and we have some bad winters here and hilly roads. I got my gf an '06 Mustang, and she drives it year round. A good set of snow tires on all 4 wheels works wonders. When I drive her car in the snow, it's actually about as hard to break traction using snow tires, as it is using regular tires on dry roads. Braking and handling is also immediate. It just sticks. I can slam on the brakes and dip the nose pretty hard before it starts to skid on the snow. I don't see how it can be any different with a 350Z.
sigh
Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I DD mine, no probs driven in snow on Toyo T1Rs
Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 PM
ambientflier

Originally Posted by Petey
sigh
sign
Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

We have a pair of Z's and they're both DD's.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
medic165

The Z's are pretty reliable cars as long as you do all maintenance necessary. But in NJ, you get the same if not more snow than here in Chicago.....you MUST get snow tires fo' sure.

Quick Reply: Z as a daily driver?