Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble shifting/slow getting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Shake
I wouldn't say it will fix a transmission, but switching to Redline synthetic made my 2nd gear issues (slight grinding and difficult shifting when cold) go away!

So I can understand why someone might try this method first.
it's interesting how you said redline helped your shifting. redline MT-90 was a nightmare for me when temps dropped into the 30s. but you're also from the westcoast where the temps reach extreme highs. to the OP good luck. i think he has a good case, especially since he bought the car from them like that. i still wouldn't downshift from 2nd to 1st without double clutch/matchrev. i still say nissan MTL ftw.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Slickdvl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VQdriver
what kind of fluid did they change it to? i'm just curious especiallly since it was so EXPENSIVE and that didn't smooth out your downshift?

i'm telling ya, these transmissions are a bit sensitive to fluid changes and by design they're tempermental. try helping it out by just slightly tapping the gas pedal when the trans is still in neutral. at that same moment the trans will shift effortless. don't let the rpm drop (maybe 1,200rpm depending on speed). i wouldn't even drive a new car the conventional way. most people would agree that a 2-1 moving downshift is stressful on the trans. if you're doing it everyday, your trans is gonna be toast.

if you're not grinding, then your synchros are probably ok.
You're basically recommending heel toe shifting (think about it - on approach to stop sign w/o full stop). Which should not be necessary, wether it works or not, this isn't a race car but a daily driver.

By the way synthetic 75w14 is what was put in.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slickdvl
You're basically recommending heel toe shifting (think about it - on approach to stop sign w/o full stop). Which should not be necessary, wether it works or not, this isn't a race car but a daily driver.

By the way synthetic 75w14 is what was put in.
hmm...75w-140 is way off from oem 75w-85. do you know what brand they used? i would be weary about that. my trans threw a BF at me for putting in redline 75w-90. i switched back to new OEM fluid. make sure you keep all your paperwork from nissan especially since they were the ones who recommended and did the fluid change and now it's worse. is there even a bulletin about using that weight in our trans?

you're right about the heel/toe double clutch (which i do on every downshift lol but that's me). but it definately helps as my transmission also does not like the 2-1 shift. i know how it is about that awkward crawling speed. i definately try to avoid it and either stop completely or roll through stops in 2nd. the electronic throttle isn't as dead on as a cable throttle either. but once you slightly blip the throttle maybe 200rpm or so the shifter "pops" into 1st gear with little drama. i would rather slip the clutch a little in 2nd (as long as you're rolling) than force the shifter into 1st gear which is not good imo.

Last edited by VQdriver; 04-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Slickdvl

no clue on the fluid - FP-Number is 999MP-DF100P (Synthetic 75W14) directly off the invoice. All it says.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
jasabeast

lol it wont let you put it into 1st until your going like 5mph its there so you dont over rev like going from 2nd to 1st. With my 06 i have to barley be rolling to get back into 1st gear when coming to a stop sign or as you stated your driveway.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Future Z owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn I am having the same problem but with random gears when I shift from 1st to 2nd its retarded then from 5th to 6th when I am on the freeway and I press the clutch all the way down and the only way it stops is if I rev up before I shift and I am driving a 07 Z
Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by jasabeast
lol it wont let you put it into 1st until your going like 5mph its there so you dont over rev like going from 2nd to 1st. With my 06 i have to barley be rolling to get back into 1st gear when coming to a stop sign or as you stated your driveway.
agreed and if hes slowing way down to go over a dip then why does he need 1st gear at 15mph? doesnt make sense to me.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Slickdvl

I'm simply putting the gear in w/o releasing the clutch pedal at 15mph. It's kinda of like keeping your foot on the clutch pedal at a stop sign without double clutching. It's just easier. No one said I was actually engaging at that speed. Let's not make this into a you don't know how to drive manual argument, because this has been driven and evaluated by a licensed and experienced certified class A tech.

Secondly today, at a crawl (approx 2-3mph) while going over the speed bump in the parking lot, I was not able to get into first at all.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
foreveryoung

You do not have a transmission problem.You have a problem with the clutch not releasing properly.The input shaft and clutch disc are still turning somewhat when the pedal is depressed.Not going into gear or feeling resistance is an indication the syncros are ok.Otherwise you would get a grind with little effort.Could be as simple as a binding or dry pilot bearing.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Future Z owner

Originally Posted by foreveryoung
You do not have a transmission problem.You have a problem with the clutch not releasing properly.The input shaft and clutch disc are still turning somewhat when the pedal is depressed.Not going into gear or feeling resistance is an indication the syncros are ok.Otherwise you would get a grind with little effort.Could be as simple as a binding or dry pilot bearing.
That makes sense another question does anyone's Z sound different when they push the clutch down when you are just sitting there not moving but just sitting in one spot and there is this noise that goes away when I step on the clutch I am having it checked out tomorrow
Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Slickdvl

Originally Posted by foreveryoung
I will pass that info along to my friend see what he thinks of that. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 PM
kyx4n

Originally Posted by Future Z owner
That makes sense another question does anyone's Z sound different when they push the clutch down when you are just sitting there not moving but just sitting in one spot and there is this noise that goes away when I step on the clutch I am having it checked out tomorrow
its perfectly normal..
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Slickdvl

Originally Posted by Future Z owner
Ya mine is more clunky when barely moving or stopped, but I think that's normal.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Future Z owner

Ok thanks for the feedback I am still gonna have it checked out about the shifting and see why my airbag light stays on for 5 seconds then disappears but I still love my car regardless it still gets me hard when I drive in her all day
Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Future Z owner

Yah I called the stealership and they were booked so I have an appointment early monday morning
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
zfokaiz

I had the same problem with my '06. at the same time i had a "whining" noise. took it to nissan and they replaced the release bearing and said it was fixed but withen a week it was right back to where it was before the service. but this is the same dealership that took 3 techs to confirm it was my hub assembly that needed replacing... :/
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
batousai

Wait a second,...why would you downshift from 2 to 1 in the first place at 15 mph. I think most stick drivers will agree that you only need 1 to get the car moving from a stop. Once it's rolling, all you need is two. I would think the car is built to prevent quick shifts into 1 to avoid over rev-ing the engine.

If you have trouble going from 1-2-3, I would think that there's a real problem. Again, I don't know how it feels because I haven't driven your car.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
batousai

Originally Posted by Slickdvl
I'm simply putting the gear in w/o releasing the clutch pedal at 15mph. It's kinda of like keeping your foot on the clutch pedal at a stop sign without double clutching. It's just easier. No one said I was actually engaging at that speed. Let's not make this into a you don't know how to drive manual argument, because this has been driven and evaluated by a licensed and experienced certified class A tech.

Secondly today, at a crawl (approx 2-3mph) while going over the speed bump in the parking lot, I was not able to get into first at all.
Ignore my previous post.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Slickdvl

Originally Posted by zfokaiz
I had the same problem with my '06. at the same time i had a "whining" noise. took it to nissan and they replaced the release bearing and said it was fixed but withen a week it was right back to where it was before the service. but this is the same dealership that took 3 techs to confirm it was my hub assembly that needed replacing... :/
So was this fixed or not?

By the way, I welcome anyone in Nassau Long Island to come by and try it out. Just bring your stock 2006 that doesn't do this so that I can show the dealership it's not up to spec.

Last edited by Slickdvl; 04-09-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
sir captian

There is definatley a problem,I have a stock 06 that shifts like buttah.I've never encountered any of the problems you are experiencing.

Quick Reply: trouble shifting/slow getting into gear