Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Potential Owner Here...i got some ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
E-licious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They may ask 20k but they aren't getting that much. Have an '07 shipped to you and it's still less than that. 17k is just way too much to pay for an '03-'04.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
LuciaPwNs

I know i cant get them for around 15k i looked at a few around that price that were nice.

But other than the tire thing the 350z seems pretty reliable right?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
ambientflier

If you are used to high revving engines, DEFINITELY look around. You can get an HR for that with no problems from somebody who's desperate to sell. 7500 rpm with some actual low-end torque? How could you pass that up?

Btw, everybody else is just dicking around about the rsx.

And yes, the 350 is generally pretty reliable. Just a few small annoying things, but nothing major. Just make sure the transmission doesn't grind on the test-drive.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LuciaPwNs
I dont know where you live but not in PA...there are still 2005's that want over 20k for with 40K miles on them...17k is really my limit, im 19 and in college, its hard for me to get that money. Im not worried about getting an "HR" id rather save some money and get the older ones if there is not any huge problems with them.
sweet child of mine lucas, so young and innocent, the 03/04 have so many problems with them that i had two 350Zs in the past, both 2003s, and sold them because i couldnt stand it anymore. 3rd and/or 5th gear grinds, the tire feathering and the immense roar that come from it, thats really about it, but then again those are extreme problems.

Originally Posted by Hokie Z
when we all kicking it again? i miss mai 350z peeps. im selling my CTSV and getting another Z again so i wont be a misfit anymore

Originally Posted by ambientflier
im not
Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
RedSled

Originally Posted by mikemjohnson
sweet child of mine lucas, so young and innocent, the 03/04 have so many problems with them that i had two 350Zs in the past, both 2003s, and sold them because i couldnt stand it anymore. 3rd and/or 5th gear grinds, the tire feathering and the immense roar that come from it, thats really about it, but then again those are extreme problems.
I've never had any of these problems with my '03. It's been as solid as a rock minus the minor window streaking issue, but it's all about luck of the draw when you're dealing with first year model cars I suppose.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RedSled
I've never had any of these problems with my '03. It's been as solid as a rock minus the minor window streaking issue, but it's all about luck of the draw when you're dealing with first year model cars I suppose.
pardon me, i forgot to mention that i had to replace the window motors twice on one of them, and they both streaked after replacing and the other Z always did. but yeah some people got lucky on them. in retrospect my Zs were PITA

lucas if you go into the test drive knowing what to look for, you can avoid the problems all-together. the only thing i wouldnt let be a deal breaker is the window streaking, but grinds in the tranny and tire feather are no-no
Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

blah blah blah I SELL CARS RATHER THEN FIX THE PROBLEM blah blah blah

04.5 5AT here - no issues. oh nos an auto run for the hills
Old 04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

noooo thats the problem i fixed them and then something else would start so i decided not to sink even more money into them. i have a bad habit of selling cars anyways, the one in my sig im selling ive had for 1.5 months haha. i cant help it!

good call on the auto though, my auto Z was the most reliable, only had the tire feather issue, but when the dealership refused to take care of it i sold it haha.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
LuciaPwNs

Originally Posted by ambientflier
If you are used to high revving engines, DEFINITELY look around. You can get an HR for that with no problems from somebody who's desperate to sell. 7500 rpm with some actual low-end torque? How could you pass that up?

And yes, the 350 is generally pretty reliable. Just a few small annoying things, but nothing major. Just make sure the transmission doesn't grind on the test-drive.
whats with the rsx joke but whats the big difference between the HR and well i for get the other one but...the other 350z engine?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Kiriller

Driving a little 1.8 around isnt exactly exhilarating..while it does turn heads i like having something under the hood to have a little fun with...i think everyone does...
Wait... Celicas turn heads? maybe like so..
Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

whats with the rsx joke
i quote Spork's signature for reference, he is one of our more famous ethugs haha:
Originally Posted by Spork's Signature
idk it just started here with people like michaeljr6 fueling the fire, and now its just hilarious all the time

The HR motor is just all around better. responds to mods better, faster, higher redline, but they had oil consumption problems in 06 i believe. but a better version of the VQ motor for sure
Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
LuciaPwNs

Dude Celicas are chick magnets that's all there is too it...
Old 04-09-2009, 04:10 PM
LuciaPwNs

Thanks mike for filling me in...i guess you would have to be there...huh? I guess ill try to look for and HR but im really not going to be heavily modding it (atleast i think =D i will probably get the mod-bug again.)
Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Came from a 2000 Celica GTS as well.

The earlier transmission were known to grind gears early, due to bad synchros IIRC. Also, the rear axle-clicking, window motors, and tire feathering. All of these can be fixed easily.

It's not hard to get a small amount of gains out of the Z, but it costs a good amount to get there. Probably not the car you're looking for if you want something responsive to mods.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:33 PM
G4L-MEL

I'm not sure what part of PA you're from, but I'm in Norhteast Philly and I bought my '04 last year for $18K with 46,000 mi. Best car I ever bought!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
LuciaPwNs

Originally Posted by G4L-MEL
I'm not sure what part of PA you're from, but I'm in Norhteast Philly and I bought my '04 last year for $18K with 46,000 mi. Best car I ever bought!
Im from near pittsburgh...but 18K is about out of my range...they didnt put in the HR engine till like the 07 right?

Originally Posted by Spork
Came from a 2000 Celica GTS as well.

The earlier transmission were known to grind gears early, due to bad synchros IIRC. Also, the rear axle-clicking, window motors, and tire feathering. All of these can be fixed easily.

It's not hard to get a small amount of gains out of the Z, but it costs a good amount to get there. Probably not the car you're looking for if you want something responsive to mods.
Thats a pretty clean GT-S...i know ill put an exhaust and CAI on it but that is probably it, and that is just to make it sound better(not that it doesn't sound like a dream already) but i think id be pretty much content with 270hp...probably would put it on the bottle too but that would come later. Im familiar with cars that dont give you much of a gain(like the celica) i know there will always be someone faster...im 19 i still got time to build a high hp car.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

2006 was the first HR. 2005 had the rev up DE right guys?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 PM
E-licious

Originally Posted by mikemjohnson
2006 was the first HR. 2005 had the rev up DE right guys?
2006 was rev up, 2007 started HR.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
ZBay

Hr ftw
Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Slacker286

I came from a 2000 celica gts in the past too. Drove the hell out of that thing and never encountered a single problem.

A year ago I got an '03 350 with 40k miles on it for $16k to give you an idea. I would expect to pay less than that though; especially now with the economy, 370z, and another year of depreciation.

The '03 was an upgrade from the celica for sure, but I will say the 8000 rpm redline was missed in the celica.

A few months ago my car was totalled by a red light runner and I ended up getting a brand new base '08 Z for 24k otd. I may have been able to get lower but I really needed a car.

Now, if you can afford to pay for an 07+ then I would say for sure do that, and this is coming from driving all the cars you listed. It just pulls harder and enjoys a higher redline.

If not though, settle for an 03-05. I never had the tire feathering or grinding issue but you should watch out for that. I did have a $500 motor fix as well as streaking though...

Quick Reply: Potential Owner Here...i got some ?