Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How much faster is a Non-Base Z over a Base?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003 | 06:09 PM
Conceyted

I have seen a 13.8 and I think a 13.7 pulled on performance models, too.
Old 09-21-2003 | 06:56 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by Conceyted
I have seen a 13.8 and I think a 13.7 pulled on performance models, too.
I would venture to say that they are equal. I bet other models could also put down the time. In fact, I'd venture to say that they're all equal (except maybe touring) in a strait line.
Old 09-21-2003 | 07:11 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by TJZ
I would venture to say that they are equal. I bet other models could also put down the time. In fact, I'd venture to say that they're all equal (except maybe touring) in a strait line.
I think even touring is just as fast. Just my .02
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:21 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

its got like 20lbs on the performance model according to nissan, I bet me at 160 could easily come in 20lbs lighter than some others. the weights are all so close.
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:51 PM
TJZ

I think even touring is just as fast. Just my .02
That's why i said 'maybe'.
Old 09-22-2003 | 12:38 PM
uklooney

The LSD is only benificial when cornering!
Old 09-22-2003 | 02:08 PM
PropaGanda

The base model is the best model to get. Here are my reasons why:

1. Who needs leather in a two seat sports car? Why would you pay that extra money for two leather seats? Most people upgrade their seats anyways so this is really a waste. I personally hate leather.

2. The base model is the lightest of the bunch. The weight of the Z is what really holds it back. The lighter the weight the faster it goes.

3. Who needs VDC and Traction Control? LOL, I still haven't figured out why people list this as a negative point against the base. If you know how to drive you can dynamically control your own car and if you lose traction then take your foot off the gas.

4. HID's are easy to come by fairly cheaply. I personally don't want them. They draw too much negative attention from pokeys. The HIDs are so bright and so white that they are the first thing you notice. I like to blend in. hehehe...

5. Why would you spend the extra money to get an LSD? Just order one aftermarket and get a much better unit. This is if you think you need it. I haven't found that I need it although I might in the future.

Now, the negative aspect of having the base is the lack of cruise control. This pretty much sucks. I recently went on an 8 hour drive. It wasn't as bad as I imagined but it was tiring. I don't see why people fork the extra cash over for the track model? There are better looking and just as lightweight wheels out there. The brembos are being easily eclipsed by some of the big brake kits coming out. So, if you are in the market for a track just get a base and spend the extra cash on better aftermarket parts. My .02.
Old 09-22-2003 | 04:22 PM
Conceyted

So, your telling me spending an extra grand for hid's, trac control, cruise control, diming mirrors, an lsd, and some other bells and whistles is a bad idea? Maybe for you, but the enthusiast is definatly known as the best value all around.
Old 09-22-2003 | 09:58 PM
PropaGanda

An extra grand? I got my base for 26,000. I have yet to see an enthusiast model for 27,000. It all breaks down to personal preference. If you think you need traction control, then by all means get the enthusiast model. To me it is extra weight for a worthless piece of equipment. HID's aren't worth the extra money when you can get better kits for much cheaper. The dimming rearview is gaudy looking and quite pointless when you have tinted windows. The factory LSD isn't that great. I am not sure what extra bells and whistles you are referring to. Maybe you think spending extra money on pointless and inferior items is the "best value" approach. I, however, do not. I don't see the point in financing the extra money it takes to get these items. With financing charges on that extra money you are really spending a lot more than you would by getting the stuff yourself.

Last edited by PropaGanda; 09-22-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2003 | 04:59 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by PropaGanda
An extra grand? I got my base for 26,000. I have yet to see an enthusiast model for 27,000. It all breaks down to personal preference. If you think you need traction control, then by all means get the enthusiast model. To me it is extra weight for a worthless piece of equipment. HID's aren't worth the extra money when you can get better kits for much cheaper. The dimming rearview is gaudy looking and quite pointless when you have tinted windows. The factory LSD isn't that great. I am not sure what extra bells and whistles you are referring to. Maybe you think spending extra money on pointless and inferior items is the "best value" approach. I, however, do not. I don't see the point in financing the extra money it takes to get these items. With financing charges on that extra money you are really spending a lot more than you would by getting the stuff yourself.
I got my 2004 enthusiast with ALL options except side air bags for 27,000 and lowered TTL with a used car in and out. Total came to 29,200
Maybe you think spending extra money on pointless and inferior items is the "best value" approach.
I use everything that I have in the enthusiast, if I didn't need any of it I wouldnt have gotten it. HID's and cruise control was the main reason.
BTW: An aftermarket HID set is about a grand. An aftermarket LSD is $400+ Keep going, it all adds up.

Last edited by Conceyted; 09-23-2003 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2003 | 06:59 AM
lascala26

...and don't forget about those cool cross-drilled pedals. They allow your foot to stick to the pedal which allows for a .0008 of a second advantage from the starting position.
Old 09-23-2003 | 07:02 AM
yooda

I think you guys are splitting hairs. 50 lbs difference? thats really not going to give you that much. If you're that dedicated, maybe you should go on a diet, take out all the windows and the spare, use cellophane in place of the glass. Take out the passenger seat and only drive around with 1/2 a tank of gas. 10 gallons of liquid gasoline makes more of a difference than the differences in model weight. A touring with a 1/4 full gas tank will theoretically beat a track w/a full tank because of the weight differential

The driver will make the diff. 14.0 vs 14.1? It only matters when you're magazine racing (stats off mags).

LSD is a nice to have. If you love driving around with the VDC off, kicking out the tail and such, LSD is awesome.

I'd say go for the lowest model with the LSD. Getting an aftermarket voids your warranty and is pain in the *** to install.
Old 09-23-2003 | 08:13 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

3. Who needs VDC and Traction Control? LOL, I still haven't figured out why people list this as a negative point against the base. If you know how to drive you can dynamically control your own car and if you lose traction then take your foot off the gas.
most points are correct except this one, VDC and TCS isnt for the track or performance(theyll slow you down) but for regular driving, things can get out of control. and in many cases taking your foot off the gas is the worst thing you can do(same applies in performance driving when taking a turn)

you never use it till you need it. and when you need it youll be glad you have it.

it also adds marginal weight since its electronic, couldnt add more than a lb.

and LSD is more important for launched than cornering... or thats what I was told anyway.
Old 09-23-2003 | 08:20 AM
TJZ

Originally posted by ares

and LSD is more important for launched than cornering... or thats what I was told anyway.
LSDs are for cornering. They can also help in launching (but the vlsds don't help that much b/c of their locking rate), but they're still for cornering.

BTW, this post seemed to change from speed to value. A little OT, aren't we?
Old 09-23-2003 | 08:45 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by TJZ
LSDs are for cornering. They can also help in launching (but the vlsds don't help that much b/c of their locking rate), but they're still for cornering.

BTW, this post seemed to change from speed to value. A little OT, aren't we?
you like calling everyone else out, but when people call you out you ignore it. Why dont you read my previous post and answer?
Old 09-23-2003 | 11:36 AM
PropaGanda

Originally posted by yooda
I think you guys are splitting hairs. 50 lbs difference? thats really not going to give you that much. If you're that dedicated, maybe you should go on a diet, take out all the windows and the spare, use cellophane in place of the glass. Take out the passenger seat and only drive around with 1/2 a tank of gas. 10 gallons of liquid gasoline makes more of a difference than the differences in model weight. A touring with a 1/4 full gas tank will theoretically beat a track w/a full tank because of the weight differential

The driver will make the diff. 14.0 vs 14.1? It only matters when you're magazine racing (stats off mags).

LSD is a nice to have. If you love driving around with the VDC off, kicking out the tail and such, LSD is awesome.

I'd say go for the lowest model with the LSD. Getting an aftermarket voids your warranty and is pain in the *** to install.
I am on a diet. The spare is outta the car along with the jack. I am getting racing seats for both sides. I usually do only drive around with a half tank. lol...
My last car only had one seat and the dash board. I am trying to refrain from butchering this one up too terribly bad but the thing is heavy.
Old 09-23-2003 | 12:23 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by PropaGanda
I am on a diet. The spare is outta the car along with the jack. I am getting racing seats for both sides. I usually do only drive around with a half tank. lol...
My last car only had one seat and the dash board. I am trying to refrain from butchering this one up too terribly bad but the thing is heavy.
Please tell me this isnt your daily driver, if so thats completely rediculous. Why would you do this? for a little more speed on the highway? I understand stripping the car if its a track car but he rest is kinda rediculous.
Old 10-06-2003 | 12:07 PM
03redlineZ

I got a base for 25,600 brand new the enthusiest over here in northeast are ridiculously priced at 29.000 I have a stock lsd being installed that i picked up for 150$ from a good friend and its brand new like 1000 miles on it and i got the track wheels for $900 i will be doing a wilwood big brake kit in a month or so so grand total so far 27,550 with lsd install injen intake install and track rims and a few other minor mods
what do you guys think good deal?
Old 10-06-2003 | 12:30 PM
Jason Bourne

Enthusiast has 17" runs which allows for a little less wheel base.
Please enlighten us as to how wheel size has *ANYTHING WHATSOEVER* to do with wheelbase.

I'm curious...

Jason
Old 10-06-2003 | 01:01 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by Jason Bourne
Please enlighten us as to how wheel size has *ANYTHING WHATSOEVER* to do with wheelbase.

I'm curious...

Jason
used wrong terminology, I wish I could remember that post, I would tell you what I was thinking of. Still curous? Invent something to travel back in time, then we can both find out.

Quick Reply: How much faster is a Non-Base Z over a Base?