Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The 350Z Saved my Life...Literally

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmyCroft
My 2003 expired in 2004 when a young lady was test driving, accomanied by one of my Club members.
Does it mean those cool license plates are no longer amusing California drivers and making friends within the CHP? It's a shame!

OP, glad to know you made it our safely. Yes, the Z does prove its crash worthiness time and time again on these forums. I hope you buy another!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Phantom_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear and see this! Good thing you're ok and not seriously hurt... 370z maybe?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 PM
350z Guy

wow i am so happy to see your okay, a life weight so much more than a car

lol time for an upgrade? possibly a 370z?

i havent seen a 370z on the road at all
Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

At least you're alive and well.

There's been an incredible amount of threads like this popping up now...
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 AM
v0lc0m|350z

Im very glad to hear that your alive man, and im sorry about the loss.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 AM
daybluz

glad your ok OP...something about nissan's silver that blends it with most roads, espically the older light coloured asphalts
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Sorry to hear of the shunt and glad to hear you're OK. Your attitude towards the Z is commendable, it gave it's useful life to save yours and I don't see much appreciation for that these days. Most people simply shrug and walk away, not realizing what stellar engineering just saved their a$$. Kudos to your writeup, but I'd say we need stronger driving standards for every age group, not just the elderly.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Chief2884

wow glad your okay man
Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
ankore

+1 to the Elderly needing more frequent drivers tests after some determined age. My friend was driving my car and we were put head on with an old women driving on the wrong side of the road with a median dividing the two sides. Luckily the traffic was only doing about 45 so everyone could stop.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:46 PM
pro_350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also am glad that you are doing ok
Old 05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
zman600

hmmm looks like something i see everyday at the shop

good to see that ur alright
Attached Thumbnails The 350Z Saved my Life...Literally-0408091107a.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by seductiveSRT
...forced me to make a split second decision that ultimately saved me, my buddy's and this grandmother's lives.
Umm....you had 3 people in your Z?

Glad to hear everyone is okay.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 PM
RetchedOne

Originally Posted by SA Z-boi
old people stay at home!!!!
No ****...

I swear.. you hit 62.. you retake the driving test.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
Umm....you had 3 people in your Z?

Glad to hear everyone is okay.
I believe he was referring to the old lady he didn't T-bone.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RetchedOne
No ****...

I swear.. you hit 62.. you retake the driving test.
As stated before, be careful what you wish for. If you are lucky, you will be 62 one day and I'll bet you won't be wanting to take a driving test every so often. As for me, I just turned 65 and I can drive my Z and my Miata pretty well. Both are manuals and I don't do bad at all. The last time I had a collision that was my fault was in 1961 and that took $14.00 to repair the damage. Let's see if you can have a similar driving record when you have been driving for 49 years.

Les
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
ENS350z

good thing your ok bro . best of luck on your next Z
Old 05-12-2009, 08:32 AM
seductiveSRT

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
As stated before, be careful what you wish for. If you are lucky, you will be 62 one day and I'll bet you won't be wanting to take a driving test every so often. As for me, I just turned 65 and I can drive my Z and my Miata pretty well. Both are manuals and I don't do bad at all. The last time I had a collision that was my fault was in 1961 and that took $14.00 to repair the damage. Let's see if you can have a similar driving record when you have been driving for 49 years.

Les
Just because it has worked out well for you does not mean it should not be standardized. There have been many people that have lost their lives to elderly that should not be on the road. I am sure there are plenty of people that can drive well (I know my Grandpa can) and they should not worry as they should pass the test with flying colors. Sacrificing something like a couple hours every couple years to save many lives in something you should not have a problem with... and as for the younger on here, I am sure we will not have a problem submitting ourselves to the same judgment knowing what can happen to the others if we are irresponsible do not. Using the fact that you are 65 and can drive well should not have anything to do with the fact that overall there are many problems with elderly drivers and there must be a test. How can you be so ignorant after living for so long? Do you have any idea what you are arguing against?

Last edited by seductiveSRT; 05-12-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Arondos

In the last 6 months I have had three friends involved in accidents. In no accident has my friend been at fault. All have been hit by drivers under 25 and all three under 25 drivers were to busy talking on a cell phone or texting to actually pay attention to the road and driving. It isn't just old drivers that are dangerous. It is distracted drivers.

1. Accident one - buddy at a stop light on his bike. Dude behind him is on the cell drops it, goes to retrieve it and lifts foot off the brake. Rolls into the bike...

2. Accident two - Buddy stopped for a stop sign. Traffic backed up about 10 cars. 22 year old on his cell phone not paying attention doing about 45 never even touched the brakes

Accident three - 24 year old single mom with two kids in the mini van. Late for an appointment and on her cell. Hit a buddy stopped at a red light, shoved him into the intersection where he got t-boned by a pick up truck. He got lucky, there was a sheriff in the right lane next to him when it happened.

While I will agree age may play a factor it is far from the only thing that causes problems. People need to drive when they are driving and not try to do everything else.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
SOZ

Originally Posted by seductiveSRT
Just because it has worked out well for you does not mean it should not be standardized. There have been many people that have lost their lives to elderly that should not be on the road. I am sure there are plenty of people that can drive well (I know my Grandpa can) and they should not worry as they should pass the test with flying colors. Sacrificing something like a couple hours every couple years to save many lives in something you should not have a problem with... and as for the younger on here, I am sure we will not have a problem submitting ourselves to the same judgment knowing what can happen to the others if we are irresponsible do not. Using the fact that you are 65 and can drive well should not have anything to do with the fact that overall there are many problems with elderly drivers and there must be a test. How can you be so ignorant after living for so long? Do you have any idea what you are arguing against?
The problem is, you're targeting a whole group of people simply because a few get into an accident. I'll wager that far more accidents are caused by teens and drunk drivers, girls fixing their hair and makeup, soccer moms yelling at kids and other generally distracted drivers than by "elderly" people. At what age would you suggest that a person becomes elderly and what kind of test would you suggest they take? Driver licensing and testing is pretty much a joke no matter who is being tested. Answer a few questions and a quick drive around a couple of blocks and you're good to go. Oh, and throw in a parallel parking check since I guess if you can parallel park you can handle a major skid on a wet road. One other thing.... If we "elderly" people are such bad drivers, why are our insurance rates a third of what teens and twenty somethings pay?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
ZBigDog

Yeah I think those younger in age are as dangerous as those who are elderly as they seem to ALWAYS be on the phone....so annoying

Good to hear about the Z's safety, though it hurt to look at your pic, my car is the exact same model, it's good to know she's built to protect us.

Biggest factor I'm sure, was you WERE wearing your seat belt, side air bags or not, that's what saved your life.

Quick Reply: The 350Z Saved my Life...Literally