Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I bought my Z NEW with 200 miles from the dealer, should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 07:20 PM
devildoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I bought my Z NEW with 200 miles from the dealer, should I be worried?

As the title says. The reason I'm asking , do you guys think that the whole break in period is out of the window?

The day that I bought it from the dealer as a new car it had 205 miles , 2003 6MT. The next day I asked the dealer if it was a demo model, and he said"no, the demos usually have a couple of thousand miles on them. They are the ones that the Sales Manager drives around."

I'm gettting to thinking that this was the car that everyone was test driving so I sure that it was probably redlined on numerous occasions. So, would the whole break in period already have been abused?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.Thanks

Ian
Old 09-21-2003, 08:00 PM
crayons

Hmm.. I think you should probably still go easy on the car until the break in period (1200 miles right?). There's a whole debate on whether or not your car should be redlined during break-in, and I'm part of the party that believes that a few redlines does the car good, but... I always figured the first redlines would come after 500 miles or so after the engine kinda gets grooved in.

In my opinion, you should still break in the car like you normally would. With 205 miles though, you should probably just keep in mind that the car might have been used.. but if you're okay with that then it shouldn't matter too much. After you've had the car for a few thousand miles or so, you'll wonder about why you worried about all this in the first place .
Old 09-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Enron Exec

I always thought it would be nice to break in a brand new car with like 5 miles on it but there are 2 trains of thought. One, follow the owners manual. Two, break it in hard. Either way, I think if you switch to synthetic oils after you reach ~10k miles, the engine should be in great shape for years.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:19 PM
SweatyPalm

Demo cars usually have couple of THOUSAND miles on them? What now they let people drive demo cars out of MD and back? That's just plain BS. If you go to eBay, most if not all of those demo cars have HUNDREDs miles only.

BTW, Isn't this is a little too late to worry about how people drove it b4 u? Just follow thru the break-in rules and you should be fine.

Last edited by SweatyPalm; 09-21-2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:29 PM
crayons

Originally posted by SweatyPalm
Demo cars usually have couple of THOUSAND miles on them? What now they let people drive demo cars out of MD and back? That's just plain BS. If you go to eBay, most if not all of those demo cars have HUNDREDs miles only.

BTW, Isn't this is a little too late to worry about how people drove it b4 u? Just follow thru the break-in rules and you should be fine.
Actually, the Silverstone Touring 6MT that I test drove up at Boardwalk Nissan had 4,6xx miles on it. The dealerships probably just keep them until a situation comes up when they can sell it.. and you gotta reach 205 miles before you reach 4,600 miles so your car probably was a demo car, devildoc.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Sanderman

Default Re: I bought my Z NEW with 200 miles from the dealer, should I be worried?

Originally posted by devildoc
As the title says. The reason I'm asking , do you guys think that the whole break in period is out of the window?

The day that I bought it from the dealer as a new car it had 205 miles , 2003 6MT. The next day I asked the dealer if it was a demo model, and he said"no, the demos usually have a couple of thousand miles on them. They are the ones that the Sales Manager drives around."

I'm gettting to thinking that this was the car that everyone was test driving so I sure that it was probably redlined on numerous occasions. So, would the whole break in period already have been abused?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.Thanks

Ian
This is total bullsh*t. New zs (new anycar) has 5 to 15 miles on them at most. Your car was obviously driven for demo purposes and on numerous occaisions. Why did you take it?

joe
Old 09-21-2003, 08:40 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

200 miles is over the top but I doubt you can do much since you have taken delivery. You might try talking to dealer GM or owner to get a straight answer. If the car is running fine I would not worry about it. Mine had 8 miles BUT dealer staff drove it 300 miles to deliver to me & my Brick runs like a fine watch.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:44 PM
crayons

Originally posted by The Rat's Z
200 miles is over the top but I doubt you can do much since you have taken delivery. You might try talking to dealer GM or owner to get a straight answer. If the car is running fine I would not worry about it. Mine had 8 miles BUT dealer staff drove it 300 miles to deliver to me & my Brick runs like a fine watch.
They drove it 300 miles to you? That's service
Old 09-21-2003, 08:55 PM
NTRIGUE

Delivered to me with 160 miles I was pissed!

Staff treated me like I was overreacting - they seem shocked at my reaction?

When I discovered they had sourced the 350Z I expressed concern about mileage at which point the GM tells me new cars often have up to 90 miles... mine had 160 miles... anyone?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:01 PM
fuzion

if your car came from my dealer....then YES I would be worried.

went for a test "joyride" - i couldnt drive because at the time I didnt have my license, so the sales dude was driving.

Stated he was an ex-pro rally racer...blah blah.

Took me out the highway and hit 130 - pushed that car like crazy.

Feel bad for the guy who bought it, daytona blue one - just like im aiming to get, enthusiast 6spd MT......

So yeah, remember, the ******** meter is high with these ones....
If I were you, I would have demanded a BRAND new one with under 10 miles, stickers on, no holes in the bumper ect.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:38 PM
RedHerring

If the car runs fine then I wouldn't worry about it. I break my engines in hard and I bet that my Z will outrun your Z stock to stock. I have *never* had a single problem related to break in and I have driven 12 new cars off the lot. If something goes wrong, then you have your warrantee to back you up. I would be more worried that my dealer was lying to me.

IMO engines don't need breakin anymore.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:03 PM
SweatyPalm

Originally posted by crayons
Actually, the Silverstone Touring 6MT that I test drove up at Boardwalk Nissan had 4,6xx miles on it. The dealerships probably just keep them until a situation comes up when they can sell it.. and you gotta reach 205 miles before you reach 4,600 miles so your car probably was a demo car, devildoc.
Before I got my 04 performance, i searched around quite a bit and found NO DEMO Cars at dealers near me (I did not try Boardwalk Nissan though). All cars displayed were under 20 miles. May be not many ppl buy Zs up there so they had to sacrifice a Z to attact customers. 4600 miles is a lot of miles...I wouldn't want to spend over 20K for a demo car that has thousands of miles on it.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Dissolved

My Z had 600 something miles on it when I bought it. If it runs fine don't worry. I don't regret my purchase. If you search on the forum, some of the guys who bought demos are putting out very good HP numbers. Some higher than average.

You have a warranty on your Z. Go drive it and enjoy it. Stop worrying! Do the break it until 1198. At 1199 change the oil.

At 1200 don't look back

Last edited by Dissolved; 09-21-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:53 PM
crayons

Originally posted by SweatyPalm
Before I got my 04 performance, i searched around quite a bit and found NO DEMO Cars at dealers near me (I did not try Boardwalk Nissan though). All cars displayed were under 20 miles. May be not many ppl buy Zs up there so they had to sacrifice a Z to attact customers. 4600 miles is a lot of miles...I wouldn't want to spend over 20K for a demo car that has thousands of miles on it.
Me neither, that's why I ordered mine instead (they didn't have the color/model I wanted). For me, peace of mind is priceless.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:16 AM
KONVERTER

i had 65 miles on mine when i bought it.. 8 of which i put on during my test drive...

i ripped out of the dealership after i bought the car haha
Old 09-22-2003, 04:05 AM
jckolnturn

My car had 11 miles on it, but it came from another dealer that was about 600 miles away. They talked about driving it down to my dealer but i wasn't comfortable with that so they sent a trailer up there and took it back inside of the trailer. Thanks Smithtown Nissan! It's nice to have the real low miles to start but do you think in a year, you'll even think about it? Enjoy the car!
Old 09-22-2003, 04:27 AM
devildoc

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I really appreciate it. I didn't really think twice about the 200 miles at the time of purchase.

1. I was so shocked that I was getting a Z.

2. For what I could afford to buy the car for, I really couldn't complain.

Even though it's all said and done , I think that I'll be alright. I took the extended warranty so I'm sure that I'll be more than covered.

Thanks again.

Ian
Old 09-22-2003, 05:37 AM
350zroadster

don't worry about things you can't do anything about. Your car would be much more damaged if you don't take care or rev to redline everyday. Plus it's a car, not a piece of tofu, that 200 mile wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

It's not worth getting upset or feel your car is less than it is.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:17 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

devildoc,

Its too late to do anything about it, but what you should have done, is not accept the vehicle, and demanded a new one, or ask for free oil changes or something else to compensate the 200 miles.

In my opinion, this car was test driven by over 30 different people or the sales manager let the sales personnel take it for errands.

Who knows, you will never know, but I would have not accepted the car.

They should have given you something in return for those 200 miles.

My dealer tried to sell me a demo, it had 155 miles. There was curb damage, ect. I was like, no way. BTW, that car was driven hard, this was coming from the salesman.

I would nicely call the sales manager back and see about free oil changes, getting aftermarket parts at cost, ect.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:22 PM
archman350z

I wouldn't sweat the 200 miles too much. I got mine with 120 miles on it. Funny thing is that I didn't have to to worry as much about the previous people driving it as I did the $#*&*! trucking company that brought it out from Minnesota. I swear, if I EVER find that trucker I will make him sorry. Apparently, he decided to really crank down on the front suspension arms and BENT THEM!!!! I really made the dealership's life hell for a week...anyway, a week later I drove home in a shiny Z with a bunch of free crap (like a car cover, oil changes, alignments, etc.). She's been a queen ever since...

I am almost 100% positive that the Nissan ECU limits the power output of the engine for the first 500 miles (I have to talk to one of the guys at Nissan to be sure). It was a dog (I was worried that I just bought a P.O.S slower than my Cavalier) until I ripped into the first three gears at 1000 miles! It had nice pucker-factor then! This should pretty much make them resistant to being "driven hard and put away wet" at the dealership.

Now get out there and enjoy the stinkin' car, already!!!

Quick Reply: I bought my Z NEW with 200 miles from the dealer, should I be worried?