Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Damn Rain / Dealer Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 PM
TJGILROY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still think they just sprayed the old MAF sensor and pocketed the 491.....bastards!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Toasterflyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy the car at a Nissan dealer?

Originally Posted by nelson83099
Ok so i just bought my Z two weeks ago. I bought it used from a dealer and it came with the AEM CAI. well yesterday it was raining pretty good and i was driving my car down the highway and it started bogging down and then all of a sudden wouldn't go over 2500 rpm's. So i was able to get it to the dealer for service. They jsut called me and said that the airflow sensor went bad b/c water got sucked up in the intake. And it is not covered under the $1500 warranty i purchased with the car. They said being it is an aftermarket intake nissan will not cover it. I said that it was on the car when i bought it from them but they said it doesn't matter. So this fix is costing me about $600. Do i have any argument to get this covered under warranty?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Greddytwin350Z

I think you totally have a case to argue. You bought the car off of there lot as it sat and got thier biggest scam (extended warranty). They make more money off of this scam than selling cars themselves! Because everytime you take something they have a secret fine print of why its not covered and you need to pay for the problem! Anyways back to your situation. Like I stated you bought the car from them with it already on it. What stealership would sell a car with one installed and then say it voids the warranty!!!! They should have explained that to you! If your not into cars you would quickly tell them to remove it and install an OEM setup! I know a local dealership installs certain Nismo items to show them off on the showroom floor but they clearly tell you what the difference between R-tune and S-tune is and what voids warranties. They got you coming and going!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your *** still raw?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by mD2MHK
BRO, DO NOT LET THIS GO! you purchased a USED car with additional warranty rendered from the dealership, NOT NISSAN! The dealership sold you and agreed to warranty your vehicle with its existing parts whether it is oem or not. same goes for CAIs and even (for example) shotty sunroofs that they install themselves and MUST warranty. please go back and fight!
Originally Posted by TJGILROY
dude, what the hell is the use of the warranty if it doesn't even cover what parts they sold to you....if they sold you the car with the damn CAI on it, that should be under their warranty....
Originally Posted by daybluz
I do believe you have a case, you payed for an extended warranty, you are no mechanic, you do not know what a CAI is(what the hell do they think the average consumer should know?) If you bought a new 350z you could drive it in heavy rain, you didn't know a CAI was installed and hydro lock or bad sensors could occur on a car that supposedly has a damn warranty. This makes me angry and it doesn't even affect me. Go in there and tell them you reviewed this with your lawyer and are willing to go the distance. Did they tell you it was inspected and all was fine?(I would hope they did if they are selling an extended warranty) This just $h1ts on my d1(k and i cant stand crooked places trying to boost numbers of having quality service.
Originally Posted by Greddytwin350Z
I think you totally have a case to argue. You bought the car off of there lot as it sat and got thier biggest scam (extended warranty). They make more money off of this scam than selling cars themselves! Because everytime you take something they have a secret fine print of why its not covered and you need to pay for the problem! Anyways back to your situation. Like I stated you bought the car from them with it already on it. What stealership would sell a car with one installed and then say it voids the warranty!!!! They should have explained that to you! If your not into cars you would quickly tell them to remove it and install an OEM setup! I know a local dealership installs certain Nismo items to show them off on the showroom floor but they clearly tell you what the difference between R-tune and S-tune is and what voids warranties. They got you coming and going!
Wrong on all counts. Read the warranty, it only covers OEM parts. It doesn't matter if the aftermarket part was on it when they sold it to you or not. The OP took responsibility for it as he should have. Let's say that they sold you a 350Z with Rota wheels on it. If/when one of those wheels cracks, do you expect the warranty to buy you a new one?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 PM
daybluz

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Wrong on all counts. Read the warranty, it only covers OEM parts. It doesn't matter if the aftermarket part was on it when they sold it to you or not. The OP took responsibility for it as he should have. Let's say that they sold you a 350Z with Rota wheels on it. If/when one of those wheels cracks, do you expect the warranty to buy you a new one?
Yeah but if they didn't explain that was a non oem part then how is he supposed to know? I know he probably did know, but what if my great aunt rosemary bought that car, is she going to know what a cold air intake is and that its not oem?. It sounds like a used car dealer with a "dealer" warranty, should be totally covered because they sold you the car like that. Would defiantly be getting my money back on the warranty though.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:43 AM
nelson83099

Originally Posted by Toasterflyer
Did you buy the car at a Nissan dealer?
Yes I bought the car from a Nissan Dealer.

Yeah but if they didn't explain that was a non oem part then how is he supposed to know? I know he probably did know, but what if my great aunt rosemary bought that car, is she going to know what a cold air intake is and that its not oem?. It sounds like a used car dealer with a "dealer" warranty, should be totally covered because they sold you the car like that. Would defiantly be getting my money back on the warranty though.
I knew the car came with the CAI. It also came with a catback exhaust. Those were some of the selling points on the car for me.

How can i go about cancelling my warranty? They put it into my loan.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 AM
JEKL

I completely agree that is the way it should be. I'm just saying that it is not that way. It sucks that people buy something thinking they are protected when they are not. I bet the Nissan salesperson probably doesn't even know the car well enough to know if it was all OEM or not.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Legacy406
Premier Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by meatwad321
next time why dont you buy The AEM Air Bypass Valve
. they come with a 1 year warrenty thats what i have on mine and i have no problem yet...and it rains a lot in florida
ding ding...winner. I installed one with my AEM CAI and have NO problems
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Wheels are not the same thing! Who buys a car and thinks about driving it in the rain? Did they go over the cold air and exhaust and tell him that the engine is now not covered under warranty? I BET THEY DIDNT!!! If they would have im sure he would have either not bought the car or asked for them to put the oem filter back on it. The dealer probably told him how good the warranty was, and that everything was covered! They didnt have a clue about the cold air but they damn well knew that if the motor blew up they wouldnt cover nothing under that hood! Thats what they always do. If a rod would have came out the side of the motor they would have said that with the CAI on it, it voided the warranty on the motor! Damn stearlerships! I am a very spiteful person I would have made it very clear to the service manager and sales manager that every penny they took from me they would loose it in glass!!!!!!! Its amazing how nice it feels being able to sit in your ride a block away at 2 am and take a nice quite 22 and take as much glass out as you can in 5 min!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 AM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Greddytwin350Z
Wheels are not the same thing! Who buys a car and thinks about driving it in the rain? Did they go over the cold air and exhaust and tell him that the engine is now not covered under warranty? I BET THEY DIDNT!!! If they would have im sure he would have either not bought the car or asked for them to put the oem filter back on it. The dealer probably told him how good the warranty was, and that everything was covered! They didnt have a clue about the cold air but they damn well knew that if the motor blew up they wouldnt cover nothing under that hood! Thats what they always do. If a rod would have came out the side of the motor they would have said that with the CAI on it, it voided the warranty on the motor! Damn stearlerships! I am a very spiteful person I would have made it very clear to the service manager and sales manager that every penny they took from me they would loose it in glass!!!!!!! Its amazing how nice it feels being able to sit in your ride a block away at 2 am and take a nice quite 22 and take as much glass out as you can in 5 min!
That is the EXACT same thing I think about when a retail store screws me over!

Oh I am sure they didn't tell him anything. But the bottom line is, he is out the money and the dealership has the money from the warranty and the money from the MAF.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 AM
medic165

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meatwad321
next time why dont you buy The AEM Air Bypass Valve
. they come with a 1 year warrenty thats what i have on mine and i have no problem yet...and it rains a lot in florida
Had my CAI for years and have driven my Z on torrential downpours, but never through standing water....and thankfully never had any issues...lucky me I guess.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 AM
TJGILROY

last time i checked.....the MAF was OEM...the CAI may have caused it may have not..may have not....but the part replaced was the MAF sensor....so he does have a good argument jek!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by TJGILROY
last time i checked.....the MAF was OEM...the CAI may have caused it may have not..may have not....but the part replaced was the MAF sensor....so he does have a good argument jek!
I can't argue what caused the problem, so that is entirely debatable. If the CAI did not cause the problem then hell yes he has an arguement! Based on what has been said here, I did not take it that the dealership was wrong in their diagnosis.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 AM
TJGILROY

the only time i went to the dealership, they charged me 200 up front to check it and they were still wrong....i had a drain of power that my LEDs were sending a code on my 03 track and they tried to say it was the MAF sensor needed to be replaced for 360 more dollars....
they'll get you evertime and won't think twice...
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
daybluz

I knew the car came with the CAI. It also came with a catback exhaust. Those were some of the selling points on the car for me.

How can i go about cancelling my warranty? They put it into my loan.
oops...you just got count your losses and move on, maybe you should buy an oem air box and take it back into them and say it was like that when you bought it, maybe they won't remember that you already brought it with the cai.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

in regards to canceling the warranty - just walk in there and do it, or call them and have them prep the paper work.

they will cut you a check for the unused portion. you will have a check/cash for the unused amount. it would be wise to throw this money on to your auto loan so you don't just **** it away
Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
spdtckts

how much did you pay for this z? and what years and package is it...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you go to replace it right away, try cleaning your MAF sensor with some electronic parts cleaner.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
cspinner

Originally Posted by medic165
Had my CAI for years and have driven my Z on torrential downpours, but never through standing water....and thankfully never had any issues...lucky me I guess.
+1...

I've driven my car around in the pouring rain for hours at 60+mph with my Injen CAI. I've never had a problem. I just avoided the deep puddles. I can't imagine the AEM CAI's sit behind the bumper any differently than mine.

Quick Reply: Damn Rain / Dealer Help?!