2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How Hard do you drive your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 04:09 PM
StandAloneZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hard do you drive your Z?

Hi guys,
I have a 6MT Z and it's hard not to press on this car because its soo much faster than what i used to drive. I wanted to know how hard you guys drive your cars every day. How often do you shift to the max in every gear and how often do you hit over 100 mph?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Dissolved

I hit over 100 once a week at least. I dont get on it from a stop unless I'm doing a 0-60 run. But I do hit it in 3rd and 4th til about 5k.

I'll be watching this thread

Last edited by Dissolved; 10-01-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Blue_350Z_Track

I beat on my car any chance that I get, thats what I bought for. I also let anyone that wants to drive it, drive it. It's just a car, they'll make more. I regularly take it past 100mph and stand on the brakes as hard as I can. I love this car, it's awesome. When I get rid of this car it will be WELL used!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:44 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by Blue_350Z_Track
I beat on my car any chance that I get, thats what I bought for. I also let anyone that wants to drive it, drive it. It's just a car, they'll make more. I regularly take it past 100mph and stand on the brakes as hard as I can. I love this car, it's awesome. When I get rid of this car it will be WELL used!
Remind me to never buy a car from you. Just kidding but I couldn't resist.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Blue_350Z_Track
I regularly take it past 100mph and stand on the brakes as hard as I can.
You're my hero
Old 10-02-2003, 09:20 AM
gooters

I fly. But I really take care of the mechanical aspects of my vehicle (Only run Mobil1 also).
Old 10-02-2003, 09:40 AM
zstricklen

I don't usually drive my car hard, but I do drive fast and I don't like to shift until the little rev needle has gone up and is well on its way back down. My cars don't think hi revs and fast speeds are hard; they love it. And they trust me bacause I rarely mistreat them or break them. The Z has asked me to keep the damn dogs off the seats, though.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
sage

I drive my Z hard, far harder then any other car I have owned.

But it really wasn't until I was around 4K miles when I started to really push her. Before that point, I was always too aware I was driving a "Z". But over time, as me and the Z became one, I found I was Really starting to push her.

There are some great back roads near where I work, and I have a couple of routes I take at least 2 times a week on my lunch. This is where I really push her. Keep in mind, I have now taken some of these roads over 70 times each way, so I know every curve, hill, and bump. I usually take these roads between 70 and 85 mph and occasionally go over 90. I have hit triple digits a few times.

But in "normal" driving, I drive hard. I usually shift around 500 - 5500 rpm, and find myself going too fast (85 - 90 mph in a 5 zone) on many a morning commute. Although I pride myself on never impinging on another driver, the Z allows me to take advantage of small openings ;->

I'm at 7 months and 13500 miles now, and feel as if the Z just anticipates what I want to do. There is no thinking anymore, just execution. It is a true pleasure to drive.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by sage
I drive my Z hard, far harder then any other car I have owned.

But it really wasn't until I was around 4K miles when I started to really push her. Before that point, I was always too aware I was driving a "Z". But over time, as me and the Z became one, I found I was Really starting to push her.

There are some great back roads near where I work, and I have a couple of routes I take at least 2 times a week on my lunch. This is where I really push her. Keep in mind, I have now taken some of these roads over 70 times each way, so I know every curve, hill, and bump. I usually take these roads between 70 and 85 mph and occasionally go over 90. I have hit triple digits a few times.

But in "normal" driving, I drive hard. I usually shift around 500 - 5500 rpm, and find myself going too fast (85 - 90 mph in a 5 zone) on many a morning commute. Although I pride myself on never impinging on another driver, the Z allows me to take advantage of small openings ;->

I'm at 7 months and 13500 miles now, and feel as if the Z just anticipates what I want to do. There is no thinking anymore, just execution. It is a true pleasure to drive.
Rock on brother!
Old 10-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Fast281

I drive my stang hard. I love the sound at high RPM's. My car literally SCREAMS above 4500 RPM's. I have flown by people with my car at about 5k and they literally cover there ears. When I drive my stang I drive it hard. When I get on the freeway and the traffic allows I get well over 150mph. Max I have taken her was 182. Confirmed by a hand help German GPS.

The Speedo says 200 but as you all know speedos are not accurate over 120. I got some nice videos with me doing speed runs. Shows me at about 50 then going all the way up to 150+. Ill post them if you want. Nice to watch...
Old 10-06-2003, 04:35 AM
BigBadBuford

I don't think I drive my Z that hard. It was my daily driver for a while and I was pretty easy on it, mostly shifting at 2500 or 3000 rpm, but I would get on it every once in a while. Now that I only drive it for fun I have been getting on it more often, but most of the time I still shift around 3000 rpm. I guess some people would think that I beat it though since I have raced it quite a few times.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:58 AM
vancitydude

i rarely put mine to the mat... 3/4 throttle through the first three gears sounds nice, and feels good... i shift at about 4 grand... don't see any reason to drive like a maniac in town... bystanders admire this car, and people just end up thinking your a clown if you drive like one...

'04 silverstone roadster
Old 10-06-2003, 03:36 PM
grayfox

My boyfriend and I just did a great mountain drive this past weekend here in SoCal in my Z ("Rim of the World Highway" drive....) Oh mommy...pushing it 70, 80, 90 miles a hour in tight curves over mountain cliffs...

*loved* it =)

But, we hadn't done that sort of driving on my Z yet - odometer just ticked over 5k...
Old 10-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Montez

Goose it everyday, I am a "jack rabitt" starter I take off fast to 50-60 adn tapper off and drive normal speeds. So is my wife thast why are gas bill is so high on the 350 and 03 Max the 3.5 makes you want to JacK Rabbitt start!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:26 PM
ml2316

does anybody ever accidentally rev a little too hard (usually in first) when going into a hard turn because you forget to shift b/c you're trying to control the car. i've done that a couple times in my car (wrx, not z) and i always feel like i revved a couple of months off my car's life afterward.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:08 PM
breakerboy

I Drive My stang hard, I usually do around 200+ on the freeway .

O Wait, I drive my Z pretty hard, I usually stay around 3k rpms, but sometimes you gotta get on it. Every day on the way to college I take a backroad thats about 5miles of pure twisties on the edge of a mountain, there the rpms stay pretty high cause i need to stay in the power band through the turns.

One of these days I'm gonna start a thread about our drives to work and/or school to see who's is the most exciting..i gotta get a vid of my route so I can show you guys..
Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 PM
raceboy
Banned

I drive real slow.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:33 AM
Ryde

Just finished with the 'break-in' period...in time to store her for the winter. Next year tho, I plan on opening her up a little more.

For average driving tho. I normally shift around 3500-4000rpm. Only push fullthrott to impress friends or if theres a large group of people starin.

Tho I may not be like some of you...I plan on keepin this car for a lonng time. My step-dad owns a 75 Trans-AM thats in pretty good shape (swapped to 455, custom exhaust, headers, cams, custom gearing)...going to try to keep a car that will become a classic...and say 'hey, I've owned that its entire existance...and took care of it' ...

Old 10-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Ryde

Tho I may not be like some of you...I plan on keepin this car for a lonng time. My step-dad owns a 75 Trans-AM thats in pretty good shape (swapped to 455, custom exhaust, headers, cams, custom gearing)...going to try to keep a car that will become a classic...and say 'hey, I've owned that its entire existance...and took care of it' ...

And drove it like a pu$$y
Go out and floor the damn thing. If you want something to sit at and look pretty in your driveway in 20 years, buy a vette

Of course, just my opinion
Old 10-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Ryde

Oh, don't get me wrong. Soon as the warranty is up, I'll start modifying the engine and taking it to the track. But like I said, I wanted something I'll have for awhile...so for now, I'm taking it easy.

Quick Reply: How Hard do you drive your Z?