Turn your VDC off?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Sor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh boy..
Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Tommy100

Thanks for the help (this of course is aimed at the helpful posts).

Maybe my first post was misleading.. me and the VW weren't racing. We were simply both in a hurry to get to work. I'm sure I didn't even break 5k rpm taking off... but my car just seems sluggish. I think "fast" is the wrong word actually. The car is not quick. When I was younger I had a mustang GT. That thing would walk away from other vehicles without even trying.. and it was a P.O.S.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no Dale Earnhardt but I can pull the shifter and hit the gas as well as the next guy. It seems like this car should effortlessly walk away from the average v6.... like without having special driving skills.

I do keep the VDC on all the time, the car has NOT been tuned so it could be running like poop and I don't even know it, and no I didn't double clutch to shift from first to second.. that would be retarded.

I would love to sit in my garage all day and work on my own car but my job requires some crazy hours (I'm typing this from work right now). What I do have is enough money to through at a problem (nothing crazy, but enough).

I think I'll hit a tune shop and see if there's an issue with the car and get it optimized for my type of granny driving.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:19 PM
alex23

hey good luck bud i feel the same way sometimes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 PM
GMZ

If youre in LA hit up Technosquare
Old 08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy100

Maybe my first post was misleading.. me and the VW weren't racing. We were simply both in a hurry to get to work. I'm sure I didn't even break 5k rpm taking off... but my car just seems sluggish. I think "fast" is the wrong word actually. The car is not quick. When I was younger I had a mustang GT. That thing would walk away from other vehicles without even trying.. and it was a P.O.S.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no Dale Earnhardt but I can pull the shifter and hit the gas as well as the next guy. It seems like this car should effortlessly walk away from the average v6.... like without having special driving skills.

I do keep the VDC on all the time, the car has NOT been tuned so it could be running like poop and I don't even know it, and no I didn't double clutch to shift from first to second.. that would be retarded.

I would love to sit in my garage all day and work on my own car but my job requires some crazy hours (I'm typing this from work right now). What I do have is enough money to through at a problem (nothing crazy, but enough).

I think I'll hit a tune shop and see if there's an issue with the car and get it optimized for my type of granny driving.
You have been a good sport.

Welcome to the ambiguous world of feelings (ie My car feels this way and My car feels that way). 180 degrees from drag racing where the timer tells all and feelings are worth spit.

It would seem that a 350Z with 240 horsepower would be twice as fast as a similar car with 120 horsepower. And one with 480 is twice as fast as a 350Z. Unfortunately power does not work that way. You are fighting the Law of diminishing marginal returns.

I did not realise the full potential of the 350Z until after years of drag racing.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Zolid

I do keep the VDC on all the time, .
Thats one of your problems right there, turn off the VDC and there should be a bit of a difference.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:46 PM
kingklay

Originally Posted by kham25
1. Aftermarket exhaust kills low end torque.. (Had 2 aftermarket exhausts i know, now back to stock )

2. Aftermarket intakes another waste, sounds great but u'll loose a couple ponies because of it..

Is this true? you actually lose a couple pones from cold air? Have you dynod it before and aft?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
ShadowHunter66

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingklay
Is this true? you actually lose a couple pones from cold air? Have you dynod it before and aft?
This is actually true with a few exhausts and intakes, just depends which you go for... YOU CAN LOSE MANY PONES.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

here's my two cents:

The Z is slow..... always thought this from the day I first test drove one. That said, being drive-by-wire changes the feel of the car. The pedal modulation is different in the Z vs a traditional cable driven car. this takes some getting used to. If you want the car to go, the Z needs to have the gas to the floor.

Secondly, all the N/A route is nothing more than a run down dissapointment trail. You want go, boost it. If you don't have the means to boost it, get used to driving your slow Z.... simple as that.

the Z is a jack of all trades and the master of none type of car
Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Instead of criticism, allow me to offer possibilities against your frustration: !. Computer failure? Take her to a Diagnostics Shop & hook it up; there might be a glitch in the electronic data processing (i.e. the programmed processing of your beaZt's electronic input). 2. Gas' contamination? Do you always go to the same gas' station? Go to a dif-
ferent one (my brand is Texaco, 'cause of its Techron chemical content), you might notice an improvement in performance. I'm sure there are guys with much more savvy than me---all I "know" 'bout mechanics is from magazines & searches I do on the Net,
actually. HELP THIS DUDE OUT, GUYS, instead of making fun of him/criticizing! Finally,
you never know what's in the other guy's car! That Jetta may have had some major mods, therefore, taking you by surprise. German vehicles DO accept mods, you know!
Good luck.
OP listen to this guy, theres either something wrong with your car or the jetta had some major work done to it.....or u just cant drive. Have your car diagnosed
Old 08-15-2009, 07:38 PM
neox

Originally Posted by Zolid
Thats one of your problems right there, turn off the VDC and there should be a bit of a difference.
If his SLIP light isn't going wild than having VDC/TCS on doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:33 PM
black06z

Either get it tuned or put back the stock parts.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM
BigRez
Banned

keeping your car stock is fastest, everything else you do will make it slower
Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by neox
stop starting out in 6th

Originally Posted by kham25
1. Aftermarket exhaust kills low end torque.. (Had 2 aftermarket exhausts i know, now back to stock )

2. Aftermarket intakes another waste, sounds great but u'll loose a couple ponies because of it..
correct on the exhuast (unless it maintains a Y pipe, right? but of course most have Xs or straight pipes) but how can an intake lose HP. is K&N just a giant scam company?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM
SatchScream

Why is my 350Z slow?
Check your internet connection.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM
joe645733

first of all, the reason why you get crappy responses is because this forum is trashed. 2nd, the 350z isnt a very fast car. thats why i sold mine and bought a real z.

Quick Reply: Why is my 350Z slow?