Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 08:32 AM
RedHerring2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever see "Ferris Beulers Day Off"?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:47 AM
DamonH

In short, yes it was a dick move. If you don't trust the valets, don't valet your car. I hope you at least tiped the guy well since you asked him to go above and beyond what his job calls for. I rarely valet, but it's necessary at times. I don't worry much about the Lightning, but I'd never let anyone valet the 300.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:48 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by RedHerring2
Ever see "Ferris Beulers Day Off"?
Or how about "XXX" with Vin Diesel? The very beginning and a Corvette....
Old 10-07-2003, 08:55 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by 350zroadster
1. I meant it's as a deterence, I don't want to go to court with evidence and sue them and all that mess

2. Is that an actual product? Allows you to surf web, find your car, setup virtual fence?

3. How are you going to surf the web while dining?
They have that product here in my city? Very pricey at like $800 and you have to pay a yearly fee, the first year is free I believe, and the install is extra also. Car Toys quoted me $1100. I just laughed and left.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:01 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
Unless someone is really familiar with our cars, they probably wouldn't realize that there are 3 seperate trip odometers, so I am sure you could set at least one that they would not know about. If you wanted to do a rev-limiter the easiest way would probably be to get an MSD ignition (Digital-6 I think) and put in a 2000 RPM chip or something like that.. I think they also sell stand alone rev-limiter units that are pretty cheap. That still wouldn't stop them from dinging your car, but at least it would save your engine. I still wouldn't valet a car, I wouldn't pay anyone for that "service", I'd just park it myself and get a little exercise walking.

THREE, LOL, am I missing something here, where's the third one?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:51 AM
My_Tampa_Z

ZU L8R

Since you work at a hotel, I was wondering what MOST customers do with tipping. At a restuarant, you park for a few hours max, and tip when you get the car returned. At a hotel, the guy who parks your car is almost always not the person who or even shift who returns it. Everytime I go to Vegas, the guy who takes my keys is looking for tip....as is the guy that returns the car. What's the rule?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 AM
350zroadster

Originally posted by DamonH
In short, yes it was a dick move. If you don't trust the valets, don't valet your car. I hope you at least tiped the guy well since you asked him to go above and beyond what his job calls for. I rarely valet, but it's necessary at times. I don't worry much about the Lightning, but I'd never let anyone valet the 300.
Well I guess some places only have valet parking. I usually tip $5 before and $5 after.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:10 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Is it considered a dick move to visually inspect your car (do the slow walk around upon return) in front of the valet before tipping? I've always avoided valets, so I am not quite up to par with valet etiquette.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:10 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

the one time i use a valet they lost my keys. Jumped in another car and the keys fell out of their pocket. Luckily the found them and returned them. I had the fun of getting the managers LX 470 for 3 days while they tried to find my keys. (he let me take his car home because we didn't have extra keys on us for the MDX.) then they towed my car back to town.

i too used to work at a chevy/pontiac/caddy/subaru dealership back in highschool. yea, we beat the hell out of those cars. 3 miles on the odometer? eh who cares....... we were bad. the best part was playing bumper cars with the shitty used cars that were coming in to be sent to wholesale. (old crappy celebrities and stuff).

i would say it isn't a dick move to ask for your keys back. after my experience, i would do the same thing if i ever had to valet again.

when i took my mr2's places and somone else might drive them (even the dealer once) i would set up my standalone (power FC on the first one, Autronic on the second one) to a 2500 rpm redline., leave a note in the car saying that the milage, gas level, and digital pictures of all sides of the car have been taken,and then leave that note on the dash.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

I vallet all the time when I go down town... no problems....
Old 10-07-2003, 03:07 PM
ChadO

I used to have valet parking outside my office, and one day they brought down my car (not my Z) with the tires flat!

Not exactly a horrible experience, but I don't believe I'll ever pay someone to take my car out of my possession to have it parked.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:51 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by My_Tampa_Z
ZU L8R

Since you work at a hotel, I was wondering what MOST customers do with tipping. At a restuarant, you park for a few hours max, and tip when you get the car returned. At a hotel, the guy who parks your car is almost always not the person who or even shift who returns it. Everytime I go to Vegas, the guy who takes my keys is looking for tip....as is the guy that returns the car. What's the rule?
More then likely the guy that takes your keys and hands you your ticket is NOT the person that's going to park your car. Unless you used the above metioned technique of tipping well or paying for a spot up front. Some places will take your keys even if they let you park up top, they'll usually let you park if you want to though. They have to take your keys for insurance reasons. If we don't have the keys to a car were NOT responsible for it. PERIOD. Most places are like that. Doesn't matter what happens to the car, so I do suggest you a least give up the keys after you park it yourself, just to cover your own ***. Getting back to the subject, the guy handing you your ticket is more than likely a supervisor/manager (like myself) so he's the person you wanna talk to, he can have someone he trusts park it or maybe even do it himself if your cool about it. I do it all the time. This is how I make my $$$. I never bring up a car nor do I park a car unless specifically asked to by a guest. I also get 10% of what each one of my guys make. When it's busy(always is) the runners will be bringing up cars like crazy I hold all their keys once there up to the front. Why, so they can go get another car and make more $$. I give the keys to the guest and they give me the runners $$. I give it to them when they bring up the next car. There is a lot of trust going on here but I have never once cheated one of my guys. I handed one of them $126 for a tip once. I could have easily given the $50 and they would have been happy as hell. Were all really good friends so nobody ever gets stupid.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Z ULAYDA

And you, WashUJon can park my Baby anytime!! You I trust!

How can you trust anyone you don't know, is the whole thing!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:10 AM
bluesy

What does the red "valet key" do that I received with the Z?
Old 10-08-2003, 05:30 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me what the purpose of a valet is?

Why would you pay some punk kid money to park a 30,000+ machine?

Valets are a waste and all they do is occupy space. They are only good for one thing. For fat lazy old people who pull up in their Benz's and Bimmer's!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 05:36 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually a valet key will not open the trunk or a glovebox if they are locked by one or the main keys.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:18 PM
endgamez

Originally posted by zand02max
THREE, LOL, am I missing something here, where's the third one?
The 350 has two trip meters (A & B) next to the main odometer and the timer/trip meter on the dash gauge.

Three total.

On a trip for work where I had no choice but to have my car parked at the hotel (I needed help getting equipment out. I had about $50k worth of stuff that I needed to keep my eyes on, and it wasn't the Z) I did however let my paranoia get the better of me. I set the "B" trip odometer to zero, switched it back to the "A" meter (which had miles on it) then set the dash timer/odometer to zero). When I checked the car during my departure everything looked kosher. The "B" meter matched the dash meter to a tee. The guy that brought me my car asked me a lot of questions about the car. It was a memorable conversation. One thing that eased my nerves was seeing a Benz AMG waiting in front of me before I left my keys with them. I figured they would choose that over mine.

Last edited by endgamez; 10-08-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:26 PM
z0ner

I've recently started getting into the habit of valeting my own car, parking and retrieving it myself, taking the keys with me (depending on the policy). It's worked out really well, and gives me much more peace of mind.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:15 PM
nigevellie

Originally posted by mdelia
I don't think it was a dick move at all.

Couple things else you could do if you are worried.

1. Remember the milage. Write it down on your coat check or some other item.

2. Set the REV limiter to something low so they can't take it joyriding.
what would setting the rev limiter do?

valet guy: "ooh, a blinking light! i better slo..... nah F*** it."
Old 10-24-2003, 02:27 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by travis9_350z
...It's Kind of funny, I’m in college, and I valet every now and then..

Its like this with me, I ALWAYS, no matter what urban legend says, respect others vehicles as if they were my own...

However, I can attest to the fact that others may not (...I've seen some ****...)

The fact is valet is safe *if* you play the game, Hand the keys to the valet, and hand him a $10 or $20 (going rate around here) and simply say "Take care of her, and there will be more where that came from"

Valet's are usually pretty slick guys, and will go WAY (I can attest to this as well), and I mean, WAY out of there way to protect and take care of your car

At a local country club I worked at, A Young gentlemen handed my the keys to his M5, and a $100, because he had no choice but to let us valet his car, and was very polite in asking me to please be extremely carefull with his baby.

I took the liberty of making damn sure NOTHING happened to his car, we moved another car, parked this one in the closest spot, and actually ended up having two of the valets "stand guard" all night, and, as per his request, he got his car back without even .1 Miles on it, he attempted to hand me another $20, But I told him it wasn’t necessary, and assured him that on my word his car was exactly as it was when he arrived.

Number one rule for a valet:

Money talks.
Umm... reading your last sentence... of how you had to assure him and give him your word... makes me think that you ****ed around with alot of other cars.

Valet sucks. I always park up front and pay money for it.