Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Loudness of other cars...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
King350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming, the location of the OP is LA(Los Angeles) Not Louisiana. If so, drive down to whittier, and listen to my car. Loud as hell. And yes the subaru's engine has a VERY distinct sound to it. And yes our V6 won't have the rumble those cars have. If you've noticed, our cars kinda have a purrr to them. I don't know how to explain it. I love my loud z =) unfortunately the cops don't
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
epme

Originally Posted by o2sys
BOXER motor, though boxster's have the same engine platform...though the subaru rumble noice is mainly from the un-equal length header design...

Porsches's have the same layout and you don't hear them rumble..all in the headers.

I owned two subies for a while and was never a fan of the rumble, sound like it was low in compression or something like a tug boat...EL headers solved the issue!
You are exactly right, although I hate the way they sound with EL headers, it makes them sound like every other 4cyl on the road.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zian
Its the boxer engine in the subys that makes that burble. Its a hit or miss sound. I like it, others hate it, but I'd prefer the Z's sweet, clean sound any day. Also be aware that loud exhausts at low rpms SERIOUSLY get annoying. If its a DD, i'd say its a make it or break it thing.
QFT.. my 3" magnaflow system was a bit too much for DD tolerance. sold it.. picked up a bassani not too long ago, much happier with it. still quiet when I cruise, I can actually talk to my passengers, very enjoyable when you get on it.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a V8 if you want rumble. The vq is sexy in its own way. Most motors/cars have distinct sounds to them. Ive always liked the scoobies sound. Supras, Skylines, Carrera GT, Ferarri's. Prob get my blood going because i know what car they are associated with and id like any one of them. Seriously though if you want rumble, buy a HC cammed V8 and throw it in your z.
p.s. thanks for the info on the UL headers on the scoobies. Never new that was the primary reason for their sound, thought it was the boxer 4.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 PM
2k6-z33

LOL you want loud get the JIC full ti single...
Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Blck350z

get some aggresive cams, headers test pipes and AAM dual exhaust w/ no Res. and raise your idle to 900 or 1000 rpm .......have fun!!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Z sounded like an STI, I'd probably not have gotten one. It has a very subtle sound to it and doesn't **** off everyone who lives within a mile of the road.

Personally, the sound is my least favorite thing about the Subaru. As if the road noise in the Z isn't bad enough, the last thing I want is that god awful demon-farting ripping from my exhaust as I try to enjoy my cruise along the beach.

But hey, what do I know.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
TJGILROY

hkis hi power exhaust will fix your problem
Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 AM
TJGILROY

heres mine...it pretty much sounded like this before the test pipes, the test pipes just make it louder at high rpms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oThl2glBqyE
Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 PM
DFW 350G

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
In the apartment complex that I live, one of the maintenance workers drives an sti. I asked him what mods he mad done, and he only installed an aftermarket exhaust. However, his car "rumbles" and growls when he drives it, even when going slow. My z however, even with a dual exhaust, does not rumble or growl when I drive. I have seen many sti's and wrx's, and they all rumble for some reason. Is this just the subaru's that do this? I hope you guys know what im saying. You can hear the rumble of the car from a mile away, while you can only hear my exhaust when I accelerate to higher rpm. Why is that? Maybe because its all single exhausts?

Uhh...I think we are missing something here...He is driving an STi? What apartment complex does this guy live in???
Old 08-24-2009, 04:34 AM
ttheisen93

The NISMO exhaust on my new (to me) 2005 350Z sounded awesome, quiet until I stomped on it, then ROOOOOOOAR and it took off like a raped ape! Then I started noticing a rattling noise as I was taking off from a start so I brought it in to the dealer. They saw that the pipe had fallen off of one of the hangars and it had flexed enough to blow out a seal between pipes. They fixed the hangar and the seal and now the rattle is fixed and so is the roar and the high RPM surge of thrust it would do. Damn.

Thinking about putting on the NISMO headers to see if I can get some of that sound and extra throughput back.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 AM
xNeo

Get a single exhaust...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkPiOalSxU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr7lPPUQq88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuN4W...eature=related
there's tons more if you look, they def rumble.

Last edited by xNeo; 08-24-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Z33_kid

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
In the apartment complex that I live, one of the maintenance workers drives an sti. I asked him what mods he mad done, and he only installed an aftermarket exhaust. However, his car "rumbles" and growls when he drives it, even when going slow. My z however, even with a dual exhaust, does not rumble or growl when I drive. I have seen many sti's and wrx's, and they all rumble for some reason. Is this just the subaru's that do this? I hope you guys know what im saying. You can hear the rumble of the car from a mile away, while you can only hear my exhaust when I accelerate to higher rpm. Why is that? Maybe because its all single exhausts?
they have a boxer flat 4 engine with a turbo i love the sound of a subie
Old 08-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Mikie13

I came from an 07 STI before getting my Z. The rumble is distinct to the Subaru boxer engines, but mostly because of the configuration of the headers. Then engine does run more like a 2-stroke Harley V-Twin...but the headers are unequal length, so the exhaust pulses are different than a standard 4cyl (or 6cyl for that matter). However, a common mod, especially when going for higher HP/TQ and upgrading to larger turbos, is to get EL (equal length) headers. With these on...it turns the Subaru sound to your basic Honda, just louder. Also with STIs, they are 2.5L, so it will be a little deeper than your basic Civic with a 1.6 or 1.8L engine. However, we usually use 3inch + exhausts, so they are just loud as hell to begin with

Though I love my Z, I do miss my STI and its 310whp and 330wtq with a passion...and that boxer rumble is something that EVERYONE I talked to, used to compliment me on it. My own dad loved hearing me leave for work every morning cause it sounded great
Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
O_SO_ICY_Z

mmm I think the boxer motor is the sexiest sounding engine ever built...I'm a bit biased becaused because I used to drive a mildly(depending on what you call mild) modded wrx. I have true duals with resonators on the Z with HFC's and mine rumbles and spits like crazy if thats the sound your looking for
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Though I definitely respect the Suby's performance, the engine sound/exhaust, to me at least, is annoying. To...ricer. Great rally car though. The Z, that literal purring, c'mon, most distinctive and sexy 6 out there. IMHO.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm actually thinking about picking up a used wrx as a DD / winter car so I don't have to drive the Z in the salt and snow anymore - so maybe I'll have the best of both worlds!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
NateZ08

If you ever watch Back to the Future, the Delorean makes that sound when Doc throws it in reverse right after the "I need fuel" line. When he grabs Marty and says "its about your kids!"

how sweet the sound