Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

college + 350z = bad idea ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
350pandaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend had a s2k parked at ohio state campus, he was in class and the car got side swiped and the driver drove off. had about $6000 in body damage that his own insurance had to cover. i personally had a car that parked at a campus garage, got my window smashed and **** stolen. luckily i didnt have the Z than.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
boostinger

i have had my z at college for 3 yrs and not a door ding yet (knock on wood)
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bag college so the Z gets no unwanted damage.The blue collar working man is the backbone of America.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ roffles

As everyone has said anywhere you park is a gamble. A college campus has some added risk just because of the type of people found there, but just be smart, park far and use your common sense. Car cover IMHO is just as bad as taking up two spots... Try to find a parking garage or a remote parking lot and just take the bus/shuttle around campus. Good luck
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
HawaiianBBQ

Don't do it! If you're living on campus, put your ride in storage, get a bike and only pull it out on date night.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 PM
quiksilverx181

Ummm.... car cover on campus? You would get a ticket at UC Irvine sooooo fast if that was the case. At our school we are required to display a parking permit, and if you dont have one, thats an easy $58 ticket.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are even asking this question then yes, it is a bad idea
Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy a beater! I parked my nice car on campus on and off but that's because I walked 15 minutes to get to the class. I was willing to park in the furthest lots, etc. If your campus has crappy parking or if you're parking over night, then leave the Z at home and get a honda for daily!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 AM
audisyr

NO NO NO DONT DO IT. Why on earth would you park your car in a location completely comprised of young idiots...And for the guy who goes to miami, having rich kids with expensive cars makes it worse! I went to a school filled with the richest kids in the northeast. These kids could give a sh*t about there cars or the damage they might encounter.. Theyve been handed things to them all their lives... its the range rovers u gota look out for.. Theres so many cons to this idea I won't get into them.. I would suggest looking for a friend or family friend that lives close by and asking them if u can leave ur car at their house each semester. Then you can use it when you need to go home..
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 AM
andy_meng1024

Here in Wisconsin it's fine. I know a few people driving R35 GTR, Cayenne Turbos S, M6, M3, CLS55 AMG to school. My c class, 350z and my roommate's Audi A5 are fine so far, too.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 AM
RaeZ

The FIRST day I had my Z on campus someone door dinged it...i think it was on purpose.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 AM
duro78

dude its a z not a 50k plus car
Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 AM
plumpzz

4 years parking on RU, 3 door dings. Not bad if you ask me. Its alll about where you park.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM
PinkHippo350

Been at Mississippi state for 3 years now with a bunch of idiots and no problems yet. I usually try and do the whole last space next to the curb thing but if your REALLY worried about dings... Buy a ruckus! Those things are tight!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you allowed to have a car on campus? If you live off-campus, what are the streets like? If you'll lose too much by selling it, then it seems like you've made your decision already. I had a Z in college for 3 years - a few things happened but nothing major. It's just a car at the end of the day.

350s are expensive to insure, especially at your age. Are you sure you can make the insurance and loan payments without having to work too much? You don't want to be married to the car, and will want some $ for living college life. Having gone through an engineering major myself and making a car and motorcycle payment, it certainly can be done successfully, but it's a risk:reward equation you'll have to heavily consider.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
binder

depends on your campus.

get a good insurance policy. I dont drive mine to campus often because i try to keep miles off the car for just daily trips but the first year i had it i drove it every day and never had a problem. It would sit in a packed parking lot all day long without a problem. I worry more about it parked outside of the hospital than at college. There are some huge *** dirtbags that will destroy your car in the hospital parking lot just because they are pissed off at the hospital.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
jimpactmfsc

Originally Posted by Adrians07Z
I'll check again ..

but its not a matter of rules to me b/c I'll NEED my car to get home, to a part time job, or groceries

especially when the college is a good 200 miles away from home .. but anyways

as of now I haven't seen anything except the new rule about its mandatory to live on campus the first year ..

and good point about the nissan car cover .. probably better to get a blank one
if your interested in mechanical engineering,i recommend southern poly bro,its where i go the program is great. and there are alot of z and g owners around campus....forged performance is right next door to
Old 08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
DemitriHKS

You seem like a smart kid and I'm 24 now but I bought my Z when I was 19 as well. I used it all through out college and I was just really smart about where I parked. I don't know how your campus is but ours was just average with good people and jealous *****. My recommendation would be to just pimp around campus and don't drive like an ***. Chances are if you like just get on it once or twice that's fine but your car is a car that gets noticed so driving like a douche will be taken into a effect. In all 3 years of having it on campus not once did anything happened. I would park in the best garage on campus and in a corner spot and be willing to walk to class a bit. Plus chances are that you make other car buddies and you watch out for one another. One time a friend of mine txt'd me in class to tell me that an F-350 Super duty parked way to close to me but my car was alright and I should move it. He drove a 2000 C5 vette. As long as you can afford it man, having a Z in college is awesome and you sound like someone who is willing to do what it takes. About the car cover idea I would ditch that idea cause it attracts too much unwanted attention and ppl may be more prone to just mess with it.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by plumpzz
4 years parking on RU, 3 door dings. Not bad if you ask me. Its alll about where you park.
Ah, the good days at RU. Which campus? I'll assume New Brunswick, because if it was either of the others, I doubt you'd have such luck. I spent 7 years on the banks myself.

Originally Posted by andy_meng1024
Here in Wisconsin it's fine. I know a few people driving R35 GTR, Cayenne Turbos S, M6, M3, CLS55 AMG to school. My c class, 350z and my roommate's Audi A5 are fine so far, too.
Those are some rich corn-fed college kids. You have a C-class and a 350Z on campus? The only time I ever had 2 cars on campus was when I had an absolute beater for the winters at RU. Most kids are lucky to have one car on campus.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 AM
SMP52889
Banned

Yeah I go to Arizona State University and I have a parking pass at the dorm garage and I feel completel safe parking my car here, the only thing Im a little worried about is some **** parking next to me and giving me door dings, etc. But I park defensively so I do everything I possibly can to avoid it. Just be wise with the parking spots that you choose and where you park. I have rims on my car so I chose a place that I know not everyone would have access to. but my car is nothing special compared to some of the cars here so Im not too afraid of people picking my car out of the lot.

I also have a parking garage for my apartment so we share the same concerns

Quick Reply: college + 350z = bad idea ???