Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

trade Z for s2000?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 AM
duro78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no way you owe what the car is worth in only 5 months of payments unless you put a huge down payment. Either way its a bad move to get out of the car so soon. Dealers dont use kbb they use galves which is much lower. You would be taking a tremendous loss. Your not figuring out the financing correctly. To even think you can get out that car so soon your not thinking logically or had no real reason to buy it.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by duro78
there is no way you owe what the car is worth in only 5 months of payments unless you put a huge down payment. Either way its a bad move to get out of the car so soon. Dealers dont use kbb they use galves which is much lower. You would be taking a tremendous loss. Your not figuring out the financing correctly. To even think you can get out that car so soon your not thinking logically or had no real reason to buy it.

I got the car for $23,000 .. paid off about $1600 / $400 interest so far .. so that leaves me with $21,400 which is around the KBB for trade in

Maybe one reason is when I bought the car the papers said "Enthusiast" 350z .. but it is a Touring model with every option except navi .. so that might of knocked the price down a little

I bought the car when I got a full time job and have plenty of money to pay for the car .. but now 7 months later I'm thinking of going back to college ..

anyways .. if I have to take a huge loss on the car I'm not trading it .. the payments aren't impossible to make if I move to a part time job with college .. just was thinking of lowering my payments by trading it for a older slightly used s2000 ..
Old 09-19-2009, 11:05 AM
domsaywha

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Sell the Z, buy a $1500 beater Honda. Once you finish school, buy another Z, or anything else that floats your boat.
^
Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh so you want your cake and it too basically?

Forget the flashy car for NOW. Sell EVERYTHING, buy a used Civic/Accord/Mazda, get your degree, good job THEN get the flashy car. Just my .02.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Adrians07Z

hell yea I want my cake and EAT it

I'm gonna keep the Z .. its got everything except navi, brand new, 07 HR, got a decent deal on it, etc

Drove to the auto parts store earlier to get a spring compressor for the front struts .. I'm gonna go ahead and finish putting the S-Tech springs on .. got the rears on and it looks a heck of alot better now

then might put in a shift kit and be done with the car until its paid off .. heck if I work for it whilst i'm in college, it will be pretty much paid off by the end .. so it'll sorta be like a graduation present .. no more car payment and move on to a college loan payment (unless I get hired somewhere that will pay for it which would be awsome)

anyways .. waiting for my friend to bring me a stronger impact gun to get the nut off the top of the struts ..

as for sell the Z and get a civic .. sorry ... I'd pay $400 / month to not drive one .. dont want to pull up to college and have people asking me what awsome mods im going to do to so I can beat the kid with the new 350z across the parking lot

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 09-19-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
2ndname

I was also recommending you to get a cheapo beater while you're in school.
However, saw your post stating that you have made a decision. Glad you ironed it out.

Last edited by 2ndname; 09-19-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 AM
WhiteNoiz

Hah, your moding the Z now... Wouldnt want to save some extra cash for pmts since your concerned
Old 09-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Adrians07Z

I had the springs before the idea of trading the car to lower the payments ..

I'm not concerned about money right now since $185 is pocket change with a full time job .. but next year I'll be concerned when I DON'T have full time job

Plus the damn front tires are chewed the hell up already on a brand new 07 Z ... and Nissan won't do a damn thing about it except a free alignment if I buy new tires from the dealer (HA!!) .. so I figured why not put some springs on since I have to get an alignment anyways ..

that was another reason I was thinking of trading the car in .. I find it pretty damn stupid to have to get alignments every few thousand miles or buy new front tires every 10,000 miles ???

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 09-20-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:58 AM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
Hah, your moding the Z now... Wouldnt want to save some extra cash for pmts since your concerned
Yeah, the OP is a typical kid. Borrowing money for college while at the same time borrowing money on a new car (new car being stupid as hell to begin with) and then putting money into modifications on a new car still under warranty.... well, you get the picture.

Yes folks, we live in an age of instant gratification. What happens in 5 years when the student loans come due and a 6 figure job isn't handed to him. My prediction, Mom and Dad will bail him out.

Good news: The OP isn't any worse than many his age (including my own son FWIW).
Bad news: The OP is typical of many his age.

Seriously, good luck with the car, school, and life in general.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Adrians07Z

Originally Posted by dhays
putting money into modifications on a new car still under warranty....

Sorry but I've come to find out the warranty on these cars isn't worth a $hit .. I bought a "new" car because of the "warranty" and I wont have to fix every problem that comes up ..

and first problem I run into .. "oh the warranty doesn't cover that"

and why is buying a new car stupid as hell? .. If I'm working full time and making 35K / year .. why not drive a new car ??

the college idea has only been a recent one .. way after me buying the car

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 09-20-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Adrians07Z
and why is buying a new car stupid as hell? .. If I'm working full time and making 35K / year .. why not drive a new car ??
The new car/used car conversation isn't relevant here because you don't own a new car. You bought an '07 in '09, so that is used. And 35k a year before taxes isn't exactly a lot of money. That is used car kind of money.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Adrians07Z

Originally Posted by jekl1000
The new car/used car conversation isn't relevant here because you don't own a new car. You bought an '07 in '09, so that is used. And 35k a year before taxes isn't exactly a lot of money. That is used car kind of money.

and 35k / year is why I'm thinking of going back to college

The End .......

and they lived happily ever after
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You take a huge hit with depreciation when you buy a car new. I'm a little confused by your situation. At one point I thought you said you had a $30k car note. Another place I thought I saw you write that you got the car for $23,000? So, I don't really know what you paid for the car. Do you owe $30k? Did you pay $23k?

Let's just pretend you bought it for $27k. After 3 years of owning that car, it will be worth about $17k (assuming that the Z holds it's value better than most cars, not a safe assumption btw). So, owning that "new" car (and it is only "new" the first year) costs you $10k over 3 years.

If you bought a three year old car for say, $15k and owned it for 3 years, it would be worth about $10.5k when you got done. It would have cost you $4,500 to own that car for three years vs, $10,000 to own the new car for three years. A new car is going to cost you twice as much to own as a 3 year old car. More if the car depreciates at an average rate or worse.

The less time you own a car you buy new, the less worse the depreciation hit is.

BTW, none of that takes into account the effect of interest. Borrowing money on a rapidly depreciating asset like a car is another bad idea.

I'm also confused by your income since in one post you wrote $25+ a year, and now you are saying $35k/year. Big difference.

In any event you can make the payments, but that doesn't mean it is a good financial decision. However, we make bad financial decisions all the time because we see other things as being more important. Folks give lots of money away to charities and churches. That isn't a great financial decision, but it is a decision that reflects their personal values. Other folks spend huge amounts of money on sports tickets, vacations, fine wines, etc... none of those are good financial decisions but they reflect their personal values. Heck, other folks spend huge amounts of money on cigarettes because slowly killing themselves is more important than saving money. Buying a new car, as opposed to a used car, simply means that something about a new car (status, smell, thrill, etc...) is important enough to make it worth lighting a match under a whole pile of bills.

I'm not even going to hazard a guess as to whether you live at home with your parents nor who is really paying for insurance.

the college idea has only been a recent one .. way after me buying the car
Recent or not, college is a GREAT idea. If you have the interest and aptitude, you should go for it. I guess the underlying current you see from me and a few others, is that while your in college it is not the best time to be saddled with debt. Debt has a way of limiting your options.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need a car at school. End of thread.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Mitsuomi

I'm still in college and i bought my Z back in February. 2005 40k miles for 13k, was a pretty decent price. I had a part time job at the time (25hrs/week), but it was enough to make the payments.

Late May when school ended, i requested to work full time, luckily they gave me full time position and i went crazy lol. I spent around 5k on mods... Little did i know that the full time position was temporary only, and by the end of august they cut my hours down to 30 (little more than before but yeah)

So now im paying a 15k loan + i still owe 3k out of the 5k used for the mods.
Going to college (full time student) working 30hrs a week and during the weekend i fix computers for some extra cash. I've often found myself overwhelmed as i have literally no free time, and lots of work/homework/tests to do.

Sure im driving the car of my dreams (at a very early age too). But i feel im missing out on alot of things a college guy would normally do. I don't have time to go out, i always have to turn down my friends when they invite me over to drink or to a party, im always either working or studying...

Hate the feeling, but im a few semesters away from finishing, so i'm not selling the car. I have no problems making the payments, but if i had waited i wouldn't have to work, or at least maybe i could work less hours.

While i really love my Z, i regret not waiting until i finished school. I Made a wrong choice, and now im paying the consequences. Don't make the same mistake, finish school first then buy a car, maybe you'll make enough money to buy a much more expensive/better car
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
MDHRZ

Drop out of school and mod the Z.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Adrians07Z

drop out of school and mod the Z FTMFW!!!

haha .. haven't even got to school yet

anyways .. I make around 35K a year before taxes right now .. around 25 or so after taxes .. I'm on commission so it varies

as for my Z ... I "paid" 23K which is on a loan .. after I make all 72 payments ..it will be close to 30K (just above 6K interest) .. so thats where I got the 30K

I know it may not be a "good" idea to have a car debt while starting school / starting another bigger debt (school) .. but I worked out whether I keep my Z and drive it till its dead or buy a used S2000 for half the cost and drive it till its dead .. either way I'll end up spending the same amount of money per how long the car lasts

Plus right now I have a car that I know the history of since I got the car with 3,000 miles on it .. so I'll just work to pay if off and then enjoy it until it dies

my brother has a couple 280zx's .. damn cars will never die .. we got a couple out of fields before and they cranked right up after a fresh battery and a couple fusible links .. and his daily driver is a 260K miles 1983 280zx which I painted the same color as my Z

the main reason I bought the car in the first place is b/c of the reliability of Nissan

so IF everything goes right I'll start college in January and get a part time job to pay for my the Z and whatever is left use for college

that way the Z will be almost payed of by the end of college and the school loan will take its place basically and I "should" have a better paying job then

as for insurance and living at home with the parents .. I pay for both .. just cut a check for insurance till this time next year $1200 .. and $450 / month rent to help my parents out some

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 09-21-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dhays
^+1

Please don't take this wrong but:

-Going back to school now is probably the smartest thing you could do at this point.

-Having any kind of car payment is probably the stupidest thing you could do at this point.

Get rid of the Z and buy that beater Honda. Get your education. Get a job. Save some money. Then buy a more "fun" car when you can really afford it.
Agreed. Good things come to those who wait. College and $400+ car payments are a bad bet. I bought my 16 year old a $5000 Honda - she is now 20 and sophomore in college, still driving the Honda. She whines on occasion about it but her first purchase upon graduating and getting a good job will be a drop top 370, at least that is her goal right now. Keeps her driven, if you get the double meaning. You don't need financial pressure to go along with college pressure. Given your last post, you are to be commended for being a financially responsible young adult, but my advice stays the same.

Last edited by PerfZ; 09-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM
JEKL

my brother has a couple 280zx's .. damn cars will never die .. we got a couple out of fields before and they cranked right up after a fresh battery and a couple fusible links .. and his daily driver is a 260K miles 1983 280zx which I painted the same color as my Z

the main reason I bought the car in the first place is b/c of the reliability of Nissan
I still have an '82 280ZX that I bought about 10 years ago. It has 188k miles and I trust it on the road as much as any other car that I own. But it's not like Honda makes junk cars either. I would trust the S2000 as much as a Z. But you do make a good point about you know the history of the one you own now.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 PM
MDHRZ

If you go with the s2000 make sure you read up on the recalls. I was reading an article awhile back that listed them. I'll post it up if I can find it.

Quick Reply: trade Z for s2000?