2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First time to track on 350Z, a Z owners experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 10:09 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, I contacted the sponsors of the last event via e-mail (see below). Lets see if they reply with information on future events.

I just participated in your track day (Oct 17th) at Willow Springs. I posted my experience on my350z.com and others as well as me are wondering if and when you might be doing another event?

If you have any information availible, I would be happy to post it on that forum to spread the word.

Thanks again, Jeff, 350Z owner
Old 10-18-2003, 10:09 PM
cwerdna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pretty cheap

The Willow Springs events are pretty cheap to me. Up here it's $150 to do lapping at SIR/PR w/no instructors to help you. To take the class (that's mandatory before lapping unless you know the staff or have some recognize track skills), that's like $350 w/lapping in afternoon [w/instructors whole time].
Old 10-18-2003, 10:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by roark
The article that finally clinched the sale for me and the Z was a road coarse test between it, an M3, something and a C5. After about 10 laps each, guess what, the Z was the winner.

I talked to a lot of people about that article who said it had to be rigged, because the Z did not shine in any particular statistical category (HP, grip, etc.) What took away from that is that the Z is a beautifully orchestrated machine, purpose built to be run on the road coarse.
FYI, the other car was the 911 Porsche. I already had my Z by the time that article came out but it solidified my dream of finding a BMW M3/Porsche killer at a cost I could afford.

Let people argue all they want if the S2000 handles curves slightly better or if a Porsche would beat it on another track with a different driver. Even if all that is true, I still own a sports car that cost me under $30K that is debatably as good in most areas of those other fine cars.

I never thought the Z was the finest sports car made on the planet, I am just happy it is a good one that I can afford and enjoy. Everything in life is a compromise. Cost is always a big issue. All things considered, the 350Z is a darn good compromise IMHO.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:24 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zland,

Very well written. I felt like I was riding with you the whole time! Just reading your well articulated piece made me appreciate my Z that much more!

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2003, 12:17 AM
jreiter

Zland, great post. Good to hear you enjoyed it. I felt the same the first time I ever went to the track.

On that note, you mentioned that you didn't feel the understeer that everyone talks about. It might be because you have modified the handling of your car. Based on your sig, it looks like you have wider tires than stock and *much* better tires than stock, and also have the Nismo sways which will help for sure!
Old 10-19-2003, 12:22 AM
jreiter

For anyone in Northern California, check out Thunderhill up in Willows off of I-5:

http://www.thunderhill.com

It's a *great* track. The "Performance Driving School" (very similar to what Zland did) costs about $175 or so, and includes class time, lunch, and instructors to ride with you and teach you how it's done. Highly recommended. The website will have more info on dates and such. The only drawback is that they tend to book all the open slots pretty far in advance... so book your slot now!

Also, at many tracks there are often club events that don't fill up all their slots. You can often jump into those empty slots even if you aren't part of that club. For example, my girlfriend's dad and brother are hardcore Volvo guys and participate in the Volvo club events at Thunderhill. They often don't fill all their slots with Volvo people, so they'll let friends in at that point regardless of what kind of car you drive.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:32 AM
jackwhale

Great article Zland. I think that you speak for a lot of us. I've not had any serious negative problems with my car and thus its a lot easier to focus on the positives.

"I never thought the Z was the finest sports car made on the planet, I am just happy it is a good one that I can afford and enjoy. Everything in life is a compromise. Cost is always a big issue. All things considered, the 350Z is a darn good compromise IMHO."
Old 10-19-2003, 01:21 PM
commasense

Zland,

Great post. I couldn't have described the track experience better myself (although I probably would have spelled "amateur" correctly. )

You make several very good points that I would like to second: first that you really don't have any idea what the 350Z can do until you take it out on the track. You might enjoy running quickly through windy country roads, or briefly running it up into triple digits on a super highway, hoping no one's around to catch you. But that's nothing compared to hitting 130 mph on the straight then braking HARD (while heel and toe downshifting!) to slow it to 35, making the tires squeal as you throw it hard into the first turn, then easing on the power and heading for the next turn. The car can do so much more than you can ever safely accomplish on the street. You learn the limits of the car, but more importantly, the limits of your own ability.

Most drivers of high-powered sports cars focus almost entirely on their hardware, and little or not at all on the "software," that is, their own driving skills. They fool themselves into thinking that because they've spent XX thousand dollars on a fancy car, or because they've been driving for 5, 10, 20, or 40 years, that they're better-than-average drivers.

But when you go to the track you find out that you're not as good a driver as you thought you were. It's a humbling experience at first. Zland has described well the sense of being overwhelmed at everything you have to do and think about as you drive around the track.

But you get better and better with every track day, even while realizing that there's always a lot more to learn. Things you had to think about at first become second nature; without thinking, you make small corrections in turns before the rear end starts to swing around. Any idiot with a wrench can bolt a CAI onto his car, but consistenly shaving a tenth or two off your previous best lap time takes real skill!

Track time also makes you a better street driver. You'll develop skills that you'll use every day, that will be especially helpful in emergency situations, like rain, snow, ice, and hazard avoidance. Track driving makes you comfortable with handling your car when it's going a little sideways, something that completely freaks out most "civilian" drivers. Summit Point's Friday at the Track includes time on the Skid Pad, a small circular track that's sprayed with water. You drive specially prepared skid cars and learn car control in understeer and oversteer conditions. It's extremely useful experience to improve your track and street driving.

Going to the track is best and safest way to get your speed fix. Driving fast on public streets is unwise and dangerous, and if the possibility that you'll hurt your car, yourself, or someone else doesn't stop you from speeding and reckless driving, a few speeding tickets, some fines, and eventually losing your license will.

In contrast, going to the track is safe and legal. I know that I find it easier to keep to the speed limit in daily driving when I know that I'll be going as fast as I want next Friday at the Track.

Finally a few tips: The most important thing you bring to the track is your attitude. Realize on your first day that you're a complete newbie. You're an idiot! You know nothing! You're there to learn, not prove that you're the next Jeff Gordon. Listen to your instructors, do what they say, and don't focus on going fast. Focus on the line, hitting your turn-in, apex, and exit points, and being smooth in your transitions from power to braking and vice versa. Master that and eventually you'll be going plenty fast. The vast majority of accidents I've seen at the track have been hot-shot newbies who wouldn't listen to their instructors. If you want to drive home in one piece, be humble going in.

For Touring and Track model owners: start off with the VDC on for your first few sessions, but turn it off after you've built up some experience. (You can leave it on if it's raining.)

So I agree with Zland: everyone who owns a Z (or any real sports car) should go to the track. Don't just upgrade your hardware, upgrade your software.

If you want to find a track event near you, check out my post on this thread.

(BTW, Mods: this thread should be moved or copied to the Racing forum.)

Last edited by commasense; 10-19-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:06 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Here is a pick of the 3 Z's that ran at Willow Springs on Oct 17th, 2003. Mine is on the left, the Mossy Z on the trailer with new track tires, and Richards Z on the right.

My Z has a stock 287 hp motor with B&D spring, Nismo Sway bars, and the 265/35-18 ft tires and 295/35-18 rear tires.

The Mossy Z is putting out over 280rwhp with its NA motor (maybe it is up to 290hp now), has Nismo S suspension, Nismo sway bars, and racing tires whose size I cannot remember.

Richard's Z is the opposite of mine. He already build the motor to 301rwhp NA but has not modified the wheels, tires, or suspension. He does have the Brembos because his is a track model.

Maybe next time someone will show up with a Z other than Silverstone on the track so other drivers don't get us confused?

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:12 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by jreiter
On that note, you mentioned that you didn't feel the understeer that everyone talks about. It might be because you have modified the handling of your car. Based on your sig, it looks like you have wider tires than stock and *much* better tires than stock, and also have the Nismo sways which will help for sure!
You have a point, just like many people do a baseline on a stock motor to know its true performance, I should have tracked my Z with stock tires, wheels, and sway bars first. I know my car felt great on the track. I wonder how much different it would feel being stock. I am considering taking my stock wheels and tires out next time to see the difference and to just wear them out. It is better to do that than sell them all for $500.

In case those of you that have never tracked a car, it really goes through the rubber. The wear is very noticeable. I can see where rubber has rolled off the edge of the tread.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:56 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Here is Phil's Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa. It kind of reminded me of what a Z would be if money was no object.

Old 10-19-2003, 05:58 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Rear view....

Old 10-20-2003, 10:51 AM
gaseous

Other people have stated this and I'll repeat.

Excellent post and great writing. I felt exactly the same way as you did when I attended my first FATT at Summit Point this past August. Not only my first FATT, or any day at any track, but it was with my 350z. Humbling, like you wrote, is the word of the day.

I've signed up for November 21st, this sport just draws you in and hard. I hope you keep on safely racing!

Congratulations!
Old 10-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Jason Bourne

Very nice post.

Actually reminded me enough of a story/article that I had written a few months ago that I decided to drag it out and post it on the web.

I would love to get some feedback from you guys before I post this on other message boards. The idea is to share my experiences from my first event many ago and hopefully get more people interested in track events.

As general background, I am an instructor with several organizations (BMWCCA, Tracmasters, TracQuest, etc...) but I'm not a writer so it probably won't read very well (I also need to proof it at some point but wanted to post it first). Anyway, I'd love to hear your comments.

Jason

My first track event story
Old 10-20-2003, 02:20 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Are you interested in tracking your 350Z? Do you know the real limits of your cars handling and performance or are you relying on reading magazines for that data or by driving unsafely on the streets?

You own a great sports car. Everyone should at least drive their car on a track once to know what your 350Z is capable of doing. No, you do not need additional hp, aftermarket tires and wheels, or racing suspension. Believe me; your stock 350Z will amaze you with its stock performance. If you are already lucky enough to have improved/modify your 350Z, then that gives you even more of a reason to track it.

The great part about a track day like this is you have the opportunity to have an experienced driver ride with you and instruct you on how to drive optimally. You need no experience to participate in this track day. All you need is your 350Z, a helmet, and the desire to learn to drive your car better on a track.

Read the thread to get an idea of what it is really like to track your Z for the first time:
MY350Z.COM Forums > Open Forum > Coupe > First time to track on 350Z, a Z owners experience

Several people have expressed the desire to track their Z like I did mine after I posted the thread above. I have done some research into possibly having a track day for Z’s at Willow Springs track. What I am trying to do is get an idea of how many people would be interested in tracking their Z.

This is at the beginning stage of planning so this is a rough idea of what the format would be like:

Event Date: To be arranged. Right now we are shooting for March depending on the Calendar of Willow Springs.
Event Location: Streets of Willow Springs Raceway (http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/home/home.asp)
Rosamond, Ca (near Lancaster/Palmdale)
Tentative Schedule:
7-7:30 AM Register in garage get & sign tech/track waiver/release of liability forms.
7:30-8:00 AM Get your car teched at the paddock area.
8:00 AM Mandatory driver's meeting, if you miss it, you will be held out of the first session.
8:30 AM Begin first run group, 1st session (typically 20-30 min sessions)
12:00 PM 1 hour lunch for corner workers, EMS staff, etc.
1 PM Resume, first run group 3rd session
5 PM End of run groups
Event Cost: $145
It would be reasonable to expect 4 sessions, possibly 5. The sessions are normally 20 minutes each. This is plenty of time to get to know the track, improve your driving line and get the feel of your car without completely wearing you or the car out. There would then be a 40 minute rest time before your next session. There are no prizes, no money, and no trophies given out. These track days are all about having fun, getting to know your car and racing with some cool people. You are to drive at your own speed. Beginners will be paired with an instructor in the morning, and if they feel comfortable enough may run alone in the afternoon.
I have already contacted Carlos Gutierrez" cgutierrez@ci.glendora.ca.us. Carlos coordinated the track day I just participated in on Oct 20th, 2003. He is willing to work with us to make this track day a reality. What we need for it to happen are 30 people to participate. The bottom line is it cost that much to make this event break even.
If you are interested, post your name here. If you could, also e-mail Carlos at cgutierrez@ci.glendora.ca.us and let him know you are interested in the event.
Let’s have fun, get all of our 350Z’s together, and truly enjoy the great handling, braking, and performance this car has to offer.
Jeff - zland
Old 10-20-2003, 04:20 PM
ShaftEd

Thumbs up Nice Write-up zland

As a matter of fact I am signed up for a trackday at the "Streets of Willow" course this Friday 10/24. I'll be running my 04 Touring 5AT Roadster. Here's a link to the club who puts on these events:

Redline Events "Streets" Trackday

They still have openings if you can get Friday off. $100 is cheap too.

I have never done a trackday in a car and my roadster is bone stock and even with the 5AT, but I'm sure it will still perform better than I can drive it. I have been on this track before 3 times, but these trackdays were on motorcycles. Should be interesting to see if I go faster in the Z or on a bike. I'm betting the Z is faster!

"Streets" is a nice tight technical track, so it should be good for a begginer like me. I feel the larger International Track might be a bit harder to get used to the higher speeds.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Don't wanna get too crazy, as I gotta drive thing home after the event too.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:44 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice zland! Great read.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:08 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

1. Carlos just told me that he prefers you write him at southwest@serca.org. if you want to participate.

2. ShaftEd: Please give us a write up on 10/24. I dont know if i can call in sick to work 2 Fridays in a row.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2003, 07:18 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aka, Jason , not sure where to comment on your "story"? VERY well written piece of semi-fiction!

Cool that you also nailed the emotion of a FUN day at the track!

I'm hopeing(sp) to do Watkins Glen next year(Again......I did my second SCCA school there around 1974..........). Will you PLEASE
teach me?

Sorry, Zland....I'd LOVE to join your fun in March........would you sponsor my drive there???? Will there be a class for Blizzak's?

Last edited by EnthuZ; 10-20-2003 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:38 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Jason Bourne
Very nice post.

Actually reminded me enough of a story/article that I had written a few months ago that I decided to drag it out and post it on the web.

I would love to get some feedback from you guys before I post this on other message boards. The idea is to share my experiences from my first event many ago and hopefully get more people interested in track events.

As general background, I am an instructor with several organizations (BMWCCA, Tracmasters, TracQuest, etc...) but I'm not a writer so it probably won't read very well (I also need to proof it at some point but wanted to post it first). Anyway, I'd love to hear your comments.

Jason

My first track event story
Jason, I finally got to your article. Wow, I guess my experience is not that unusual! I was amazed how both of our posts/articles covered the same things.

To me, this just reinforces how great an experience it is to track your Z. I'll say it again in a slightly different way, the 2 best moments of owning my 350Z thus far have been driving it off the lot brand new and driving it on a track and realizing how good of a sports car it really is. Without driving it on a track, you just dont really know no matter how much you drive it on the street. There is no comparision period......

Quick Reply: First time to track on 350Z, a Z owners experience