2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

this is the chance to track your 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 11:21 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, Carlos is looking into a date right now. The issues are availibility and of course selecting a month that is not likely to have rain. From what Carlos says, the track books up months ahead of time. I think that is the biggest issue right now.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:59 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: March 2004 ?

Originally posted by Richard 350z
zland -

That's a long way off. Any chance we can do it sooner, like before the end of this year? Thanks again for all your efforts.

you can attend the buttonwillow driving clinic on dec. 20th (sat.) if you cant wait.

i'll be there with my buds
Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 PM
Jsn350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you need absolutly NO track experiance? Is passing allowed?
Old 10-21-2003, 10:48 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
So you need absolutly NO track experiance? Is passing allowed?
Jsn350Z: I don’t know if you are referring to the rules in Buttonwillows are at Willow Springs? When I drove on the track at Willow Springs last Friday, you needed no track experience. An experienced driver was coupled with you. He usually gave you the option of driving the car and he made suggestions on your driving as you both were on the track. In my situation, I wanted the instructor to drive my car first and I watched and learned for about 4 laps. I then drove and he made suggestions from the passenger seat.

We only had passing on the straight-aways and the driver being passed would move to the left and signal for the driver behind him to pass. Everyone was good about letting the faster drivers passed. The intent is to learn to drive your car as fast as you feel comfortable, not to race. Honestly, I would not feel comfortable driving with other inexperienced drivers and doing aggressive passing. I just like my Z too much to take those types of risks.

They had two groups. The first group had no experience, the 2nd had experience. I think there was slightly more aggressive driving going on in group two but I was not on the track to confirm that. I just know that they were better drivers...

Last edited by zland; 10-21-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Jsn350Z

Now that sounds like fun. I to fear for my Z on the track and the conditions you stated sound great.

So would this be like a mini driving school kind of thing? If it is then I would be even more apt to going. Don't really want to just jump out on the track with no on track experiance. I am a pretty good driver, but still, I may not trust myself.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:02 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
Now that sounds like fun. I to fear for my Z on the track and the conditions you stated sound great.

So would this be like a mini driving school kind of thing? If it is then I would be even more apt to going. Don't really want to just jump out on the track with no on track experiance. I am a pretty good driver, but still, I may not trust myself.
Yes, the guys were super helpful. Phil, who is a great driver was even giving mini lessons on the chalkboard between our beginners times to run laps. He would give detail suggestions at that time. As you can imagine, some things cannot be gone over in great detail as you are running at high speeds on a turn or down a straight-away.

Honestly, I was really excited to drive leading up to track day but right before I got on the track, I started to worry about scewing up my car or myself and others due to no track experience. Trust me, they know that feeling and progress you at a rate that is appropriate. After a couple of laps you begin to aquire the skills and confidence to speed up a bit.

I was also fearful that my Z would come unglued on a curve all at once. Let me assure you that our 350Z's never surprize you. You know when you are getting close to the maximum level of cornering. You can pull it back together easily if you start to push it too hard. I cannot say enough about how well this car handles and feels on the track and how easy it is to drive at track levels. If you think back to many articles on the Z, you will remember the mags often say the Z is a great car to drive for the average guy on the track vs lets say other good handling cars that can get pushed over their limits and get you into trouble quickly.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:39 AM
apex locator

yes, passing is allowed only in designated areas on straight-aways @ buttonwillow. probably true for every track that hosts these type of events.

keep in mind though that your auto insurance will not cover the streets of willow event being organized here. but you will be covered @ buttonwillow for their performance driving clinic because its technically "driving education" i'll be attending both though
Old 10-22-2003, 07:23 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

I'm tentatively in on this. The date is going to be key for me. March is in the middle of tax season, so it may be difficult for me to get out of the office.

I'd love to get up there though. Went to Buttonwillow in July for their driving clinic and am planning on heading back in December. It would be nice to get some experience on a different track.

Dave
Old 10-22-2003, 09:05 AM
ganz

In also. My participation is date dependent. December will be tough for me, but I'll wait and see what the decision is.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:56 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Reason for delay on setting date for track at Willow Springs

Here is a copy below of the e-mail I sent to Carlos asking why there is a delay for getting a set date for our track day at willow springs. His response is below my e-mail.

Carlos:

Are we on a waiting list or something for a date on the track? It seems like they would just look for a nonreserved date on their event calendar and alot it to us. Am I missing something?

Jeff

Jeff:

Yes, & you are.

The owner pretty much gives out w/e dates to all of the sanctioned racing bodies, then the Fridays are next to be allotted. Since we’re one of the smaller draws we have last dibs on dates. He then sends his priority calendar to the GM, who then sets all final dates filling in here & there.

This last stage of planning usually doesn’t happen until right after the holidays.

Sincerely,

Carlos Gutierrez
Old 10-22-2003, 01:12 PM
apex locator

yikes!! hope this'll be on a weekend.....doubt i'll be able to make a weekday
Old 10-22-2003, 01:18 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

We are working on it. I think the Friday deal reduces cost since weekend calls for a "high rent" factor. I am sure that no matter what day/date/location we go for, someone is not going to have it work out.

As you can read by some of Carlos' e-mails, it takes months to set up and plan one of these things. I would rather plan it right and take longer than quicker and messed up. This is a work in progress.

The important thing is we have begun to identify some people that want to track their car in a safe environment with the ability to get some suggestions on driving from more experienced drivers. Now, the rest is a bunch of details that hopefully Carlos and I can work out for you guys. Remember, I am just another Z owner that happens to post here trying to do something positive for us all.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:02 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

Default Re: Tell us about Buttonwillow

Originally posted by Richard 350z
gibbsy -

Please tell us about your experience at the Performance Driving Clinic at Buttonwillow. I am planning to attend in December.
Richard-

The Buttonwillow experience was a lot of fun. Check in around 7:30, where they do a quick inspection of the car. The guy who looked at mine hadn't seen a Z up close yet, so he was pretty interested in how it looked under the hood.

At the inspection, everyone is split into two groups, those that have been before and first-timers. As far as I know, this is just first-timers at Buttonwillow's clinic, so if you've tracked before you may be able to jump to the other group right away. Otherwise, they let people change groups in the afternoon. It was my first time tracking, so I didn't ask to change.

The two groups work separate sides of the track. I think us beginners had the shorter, but more technical, west side; the other group got the longer east side.

Everyone comes together before getting on the track to go over the rules, the flags, etc. Then our beginner group was split into two, one went to the track, the other stayed inside for some whiteboard lessens. The 'returning' group stayed as one and headed to the track.

First time on the track, an instructor drives your car for either one or two laps. Then, you take over. I can't remember if on that first session the instructor rides with you or not. At any time, you can have an instructor sit shotgun and help you out. I did that and it was very helpful. The instructors are good and always give you positive feedback.

You're on the track 10-20 minutes at a time, if I recall. Honestly, it's hard to keep track of how long it's been when you're concentrating on driving the course.

After lunch, they fully open the track. The two 'first-timer' groups are combined, anyone that wants to jump to the other group can. Finish up around 4:30.

Quite a lengthy response, I know. But, it was so much fun! Can't wait to go again. Hope to see more 350Z's this time. It was only me and b18bvudoo in July.

Dave
Old 10-23-2003, 09:29 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

The experiences you had to Buttonwillows seem much like ours at Willow springs. I am excited as well to see more 350Z's at the track thus the reason I started this thread. Hopefully we will get some S2000, 911's, M3, etc. Our Z's are capable on the track and it would be a great ego booster to drive next to those fine cars as well.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm totally down....

if anyone wants to stay over in the area the night b4, let me know..

WillowSprings is directly the opposite direction of my work, and i live about ~15 minutes away from the track...

this is for Streets of Willow, right? not big track?
Old 10-23-2003, 11:49 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

The list:

1. Greg Vogel, Mossy Nissan car
2. Jeff - Zland
3. Jeff @ performance Nissan
4. suprblkperformance
5. daytona350z
6. jimster716
7. b18bvudoo
8. Friend of b18bvudoo (owns an EVO)
9. Mikeb6986 (dont worry, event is tentative date, most likely will be March thus after Jan so you are ok)
10. raceboy
11. LeighJr
12. Splurt
13. axis007
14. Jsn350Z
15. Richard 350z
16. Chebosto (Cheston)

Cheston: How is the TT install coming? Don't you get the parts back from Japan this week? Do you still think it is possible to get it installed for the FI comparison with SportZ mag? I am excited to get a ride in your car!

Last edited by zland; 10-23-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:22 PM
the bluez33

count me in tentatively as well... my school is nearly 6 hours away, but my family is in Bakersfield so it shouldn't be terrible...

thx for organizing this

oh yeah i'm sending the email now
Old 10-23-2003, 02:03 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those in NorCal that can't make it to this event, or for those that want to drive up rom SoCal- there is a track day at Thunderhill (North of Sac-town) on Dec 20th. See the NorCal forum for details.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:56 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

We are working on the details on the track day. As mentioned before, it will take some time to get a track date confirmed. If some of you are close enough to drive in the northern Calif track day, you might want to do that too. I am sure once to you do one track day, you will want to do another.

Jeff - zland
Old 10-23-2003, 04:04 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default The 1st Annual Mossy 350-Z- Track day

I Just spoke to Greg Vogel at Mossy Nissan of Oceanside. Greg said they will assist us in getting everything organized for the upcoming track day at Willow Springs. Thus, we have become "The 1st Annual Mossy 350Z- Track day"

Remember, it is not just Z's. I would love to see some S2000, BMW's etc out there with us just to make it interesting.

I am working on other surprizes but not sure if I can pull it off. I will keep you updated as I confirm them.

Here is the current list:

1. Greg Vogel, Mossy Nissan car
2. Jeff - Zland
3. Jeff @ performance Nissan
4. suprblkperformance
5. daytona350z
6. jimster716
7. b18bvudoo
8. Friend of b18bvudoo (owns an EVO)
9. Mikeb6986 (dont worry, event is tentative date, most likely will be March thus after Jan so you are ok)
10. raceboy
11. LeighJr
12. Splurt
13. axis007
14. Jsn350Z
15. Richard 350z
16. Chebosto (Cheston)
17. the bluez33 (tentative)

Last edited by zland; 10-23-2003 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: this is the chance to track your 350Z