2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can my lemon be bought back?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
mx597turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan does not replace the "complete engine" as assumed, by the post above mine. They replace the block and keep the same heads and other components.
That's actually considered a short block. A long block has new heads. No engines are sold with any accessory components.

From Wikipedia:
Long block is an automotive term describing an engine sub-assembly consisting of the following:

* Short block. The long block is always a superset of the corresponding short block.
* Cylinder head. A complete new or remanufactured cylinder head assembly is installed with a new head gasket and torqued to specification. Complete cylinder heads include new or reconditioned valves, valve springs, valve guides (if applicable), valve seats (if applicable), valve locks, and valve keepers. The bare head is free from cracks, warps, or holes.
* If the engine is a flathead, then the valve train is installed if the short block did not already have it.

On most engines, the camshaft will be installed. On many engines with timing gears, the camshaft will be timed. A Long block engine replacement will typically require swapping out parts from the original engine to the long block. These parts include the intake manifold, the exhaust manifold, Alternator, Power steering pump, if any, and Air conditioner compressor, if any are installed in the vehicle.

Short block is an automotive term describing an engine sub-assembly.

A short block is the portion of the engine block below the head gasket but above the oil pan. An in-block cam engine will also include the camshaft and timing gear. The overhead cam style of engine will not include the aforementioned parts on the shortblock. A shortblock is usually purchased to upgrade the water jacket, piston size or bore. Assemblies typically include the crankshaft installed and balanced along with the main bearing.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the difference between a long block and a short block.

The work order and the information I received from NNA indicated that the long block was replaced....
Nissan said the long block was replaced, and I have all of the documentation that says the same thing. If it's a typo, so be it. Although I don't think a mistake like that would be repeated as many times as it has. If it's wrong, ok then, it's wrong. But frankly, for me anyway, definitions are pretty trivial. All I care about is getting the Z fixed.

Last edited by dmroberson; 01-20-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmroberson
I know the difference between a long block and a short block.

Nissan said the long block was replaced, and I have all of the documentation that says the same thing. If it's a typo, so be it. Although I don't think a mistake like that would be repeated as many times as it has. If it's wrong, ok then, it's wrong. But frankly, for me anyway, definitions are pretty trivial. All I care about is getting the Z fixed.
Mine was replaced with a new short block for my consumption problems.

As far as a lemon law buyback... no. You have to buy the car new to qualify.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaser720
Mine was replaced with a new short block for my consumption problems.
Yeah as far as I know the TSB ok's the replacement of the shortblock.

OP I'm likening your situation to buying a car with a salvage title. Something really bad happened (accident/flood/fire/etc) and the contract you signed to buy the car likely contained something to the effect of "as is".

Point blank, you made a bad choice buying that car.