Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

limited slip differential... Which 350z's have it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
BJJ Gi Choke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
Friend should stick to Hondas. Why would they put a VLSD in the touring model but not the track? Hmm . . .

For the VLSD, yes, but if you plan on autox'ing or tracking the car, you'll need to upgrade the stock VLSD anyway. It may be simpler and cheaper to just start with a base if that's the case. I'm shocked the 370 NISMO still comes with the same-old lousy VLSD as all the others (plus it needs an oil cooler - STOCK).

Look for cruise control. Base has no VLSD or CC.

Yes we ran Honda's back in the day...

Nothing wrong with that!

They were the fastest cars back then. I had a CRX that ran a 12.8 on the quarter all motor (no turbo no nos) on street tires.

I got the car at the junkyard salvage title (theft recovery). So it was already stripped down. No radio, passenger seat, no carpet, dash etc.

It was ugly though. It had a blue fender on the right, a black fender on the left, a fiber glass hood and the car was red. We called it the quarter mile pile hahaha.

I made so much money with it at the races hahaha.

Sense then I've been driving trucks. I just sold my Chevy avalanche.

Now that I've got money I want to upgrade to rear wheel drive, six speed, six banger and maybe turbo it out too.

I was going to build the motor on the CRX and turbo it out but all the cops in the area knew my car and I had to get rid of it fast.

I've got some funny pictures of it (quarter mile pile) if you want to see them hahaha...

Anyway if you know anyone in SoCal that has a silver,yellow or blue 2006 for sale let me know.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Lee R

Go to the SOCAL for sale section. There are a few Z's for sale right now.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 AM
ipodhustle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man i'm in hb, too. which gym do you train at?

good luck on finding a Z...if you find a killer deal on a base model, and get a superior aftermarket LSD and have hookups to a cheap/free install, i say go for it. but if you're mostly just gonna drive around town..it might be easier to just start off with something other than the base model.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BJJ Gi Choke

Nothing wrong with that!

They were the fastest cars back then. I had a CRX that ran a 12.8 on the quarter all motor (no turbo no nos) on street tires.

I got the car at the junkyard salvage title (theft recovery). So it was already stripped down. No radio, passenger seat, no carpet, dash etc.

It was ugly though. It had a blue fender on the right, a black fender on the left, a fiber glass hood and the car was red. We called it the quarter mile pile hahaha.

Now that I've got money I want to upgrade to rear wheel drive, six speed, six banger and maybe turbo it out too.

I was going to build the motor on the CRX and turbo it out but all the cops in the area knew my car and I had to get rid of it fast.

I've got some funny pictures of it (quarter mile pile) if you want to see them hahaha...

Anyway if you know anyone in SoCal that has a silver,yellow or blue 2006 for sale let me know.
I like the name of the car - quarter mile pile. How long ago is "back-in-the-day"? I'm curious to know when 12.8 was the fastest car around, though that is respectable for a gutted beater. Do yourself a favor - if you get a 350 and F/I it, spend the $ and run 100 octane. The 91 octane we have here in CA is the worst. I've seen MANY an F/I 350 blow up, some of them multiple times.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
BJJ Gi Choke

Originally Posted by ipodhustle
hey man i'm in hb, too. which gym do you train at?

good luck on finding a Z...if you find a killer deal on a base model, and get a superior aftermarket LSD and have hookups to a cheap/free install, i say go for it. but if you're mostly just gonna drive around town..it might be easier to just start off with something other than the base model.
I train at Huntington Beach Ultimate Training Center

Here's a link

http://www.hbutc.com/

http://www.hbutc.com/orangecounty/hu...rtualtour.html

You should come down and train with us.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM
BJJ Gi Choke

Originally Posted by scotts300
I like the name of the car - quarter mile pile. How long ago is "back-in-the-day"? I'm curious to know when 12.8 was the fastest car around, though that is respectable for a gutted beater. Do yourself a favor - if you get a 350 and F/I it, spend the $ and run 100 octane. The 91 octane we have here in CA is the worst. I've seen MANY an F/I 350 blow up, some of them multiple times.
Back in like 1993. Mostly street races. I ran it a couple of times at the track (Terminal Island in Long Beach) just to see my time.

For the track we took the vw bug to the track mostly, they're the fastest.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The thread I wrote up a long time ago actually pretty much explained what you were looking for:

https://my350z.com/forum/2512021-post11.html

I am in the process of updating it now to include 2007-2008 information.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 AM
blitz2k1

according to the following

"Limited slip diffs come in many different shapes and forms. One way to check is indeed to lift the drive wheels off the ground and turn one of them with the car in neutral. Any Viscous coupling or clutch pack LSD (or even a Torsen etc) will resist the opposite turning motion experienced by open differentials, and try to turn in the same direction.

Other LSD's are electronic or hydraulic, and with a vehicle switched off, will not operate. Hence they won't be evident from the wheelspin test.

For standard LSD's, the easiest way to know what car has one is simply brand knowledge. If you're wondering about a car that may have a non-standard LSD, the lift and spin method is another good one."
my Base 350z has lsd diff determined by using the wheelspin method when lifted off the ground. (they both turn in one direction).???????

Last edited by blitz2k1; 05-14-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz2k1
according to the following

my Base 350z has lsd diff determined by using the wheelspin method when lifted off the ground. (they both turn in one direction).???????
Aftermarket I would assume.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Tiltz

my car came with the VSLD. I bought it with 40k miles and now it has 50k miles. I haven't tracked the car yet, but I drive pretty aggressively and the VSLD has stopped working over last couple thousand miles. You might as well look for a better aftermarket solution.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by BJJ Gi Choke

Nothing wrong with that!

C'mon! 12.8 in a CRX,all motor, back around 93'?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by pangoman
C'mon! 12.8 in a CRX,all motor, back around 93'?
Are you doubting that that's possible?
Old 05-15-2010, 02:21 PM
dirtbikr

Originally Posted by FineWine
Because it certainly isn't. I've run some civics that take me off the line for the first 0-70 or so sprint, after that it's game over though.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 PM
pangoman

Yes! 93' or earlier CRX's could do 12.8 maybe in a freefall off of a cliff...but certainly not with "all motor."
Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 PM
FineWine

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
Because it certainly isn't. I've run some civics that take me off the line for the first 0-70 or so sprint, after that it's game over though.
There certainly aren't any modded civics on the road that are faster than Z's

Start here :

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=all+motor+crx

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2554239

http://www.examiner.com/x-4824-Tampa...d-quarter-mile

Inbeforebuttheybuiltthemotorcomments.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:42 PM
FineWine

Yes! 93' or earlier CRX's could do 12.8 maybe in a freefall off of a cliff...but certainly not with "all motor."
Heavier chasis, 12.7 all motor:

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2678683

I'm guessing none of you guys have ever been friends with a honda fanboi?

EDIT > sorry to derail this thread

Last edited by FineWine; 05-15-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:52 PM
pangoman

Heavier chasis, 12.7 all motor:

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2678683

I'm guessing none of you guys have ever been friends with a honda fanboi?

EDIT > sorry to derail this thread
He's claiming back in 1993 he was doing this. Your link above has a motor swap with a motor that wasn't available in 1993. I am not disputing the fact that this is not possible today. I am saying that it is highly improbable that the poster (BJJ) didn't do it. Hell, just look at the questions in his posts. Do you really think that he accomplished this back in 1993? Getting in the 12's in the quarter is quite a feat for any car even these days.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:38 PM
FineWine

He's claiming back in 1993 he was doing this. Your link above has a motor swap with a motor that wasn't available in 1993. I am not disputing the fact that this is not possible today. I am saying that it is highly improbable that the poster (BJJ) didn't do it. Hell, just look at the questions in his posts. Do you really think that he accomplished this back in 1993? Getting in the 12's in the quarter is quite a feat for any car even these days.
That particular engine was just an example. Built b18s have existed well before that motor was born. I'm sure you knew that, though.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But who would want to mod a Civic anyway.
The following users liked this post:
g0lfball3R (09-21-2020)
Old 05-15-2010, 05:26 PM
dirtbikr

haha, sorry, meant certainly is* woops, seems like I started a small war. I'm with you all the way FineWine, haha.

Quick Reply: limited slip differential... Which 350z's have it?