Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Flame Away (newbie with questions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

to find the exhaust sound you want...
go to a Z meet or if you see one on the road ask what exhaust they have and ask if you can hear how it sounds. idle and rev.
not sure how many guys will take you for a ride but some might all they can say is no if you ask.

wheels - depends on your style and what you are trying to acheive - for you the color of your z might play a factor in deciding wheel color as well.
your taste will determine brand, model, color, finish, size & offset. no one else can determine that for you.

suspension would also be determined by your style.
not ideal to bag your ride and then compete in TA.

same would go for body kits too

have you come across a particular Z that you like the style of? posting a pic or link of your inspiration would help people give you better info.

Last edited by vex008; 01-20-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Moncada90
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaser720

My favorite sounding exhaust was pulling the midpipe and muffler off and running y-pipe out. Its loud as hell

hahahahaha i did that too !!!! its is loud as fukc.....

EDIT: ( i always thought i was the only one that would/have done that! now i dont feel as dumb )

Last edited by Moncada90; 01-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
dkwang

I, too, am super surprised at all the help in this thread. +1 to everything people said. Like someone mentioned, Fujitsubo is a great-sounding exhaust (I'm running one) that isn't obnoxious. Deep and warm.

I don't think anyone here expects to gain 100hp on bolt-ons; the point of customization and upgrades is exactly that - to have some fun with your car with some spare change and to know you have a unique (relative to stock) ride.

GL with your modding, OP, welcome.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

simple rule you have to know is when you change one thing you have to follow the chain of things. Example. if you change the intake for better sucking of air, then i suggest you change the exhaust to blow out the air as well.

Start off slow and do all the research you can. You get what you pay for in my opinion.

like everyone has done and are telling you. Intake and Exhaust would be 1st.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 01-21-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM
orangeflash

Originally Posted by scotts300
$5 says he is over 21.

He used sentences, paragraphs, and decent grammar. That's why.

I understand your statement, and it is generally true, but not fair to say as a simple blanket statement covering all upgrades.
well, you just earned 5$ because im 23... He said flame so that's what i did...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM
fat3oy

Well... I am 25, College Grad, and an OIF Disabled Vet... I would kill to be 17 again tho

I am really excited over all the advice I've been given. The picture below is an example of how I want the wheels to look, just black. I'm thinking coilovers, rolled finders, and a good offset will achieve this (even tho i think the z in that pic is on air, not coils.)

Yea I dont expect to gain 100HP at all, I want to stay NA, because I still want to maintain engine longevity. I think the mods will come in this order; intake (if i dont stick to stock,) exhaust, headers, cat, plenum, then maybe down the line some cams and a flywheel, but the latter two are on the back burner for sure. I'll never track this car unless I buy another, then everything changes, hell I still baby it when driving now, going over 3k rpm stresses me out, rofl. ESPECIALLY after all this oil sucking nonsense I keep hearing about, thank god i am still under power train warranty.

As far as bodykits or body mods in general, i really need to do my research, keeping it clean and not overdoing it with over-the-top mods is my goal, I think the most evasive thing I will do, is shave the car clean.

Again all this advice is invaluable. I cant thank you all enough for your kindness.

PS even tho I am not 17, I'll still try to save my money... good advice none the less u damn flamer!!! :P (first flame i received actually lol)
Attached Thumbnails Flame Away (newbie with questions)-25j84ur.jpg   Flame Away (newbie with questions)-1fftif.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
bloodwings19

Best mod is by far wheels, with the right offset. Nissan gave the wrong size factory wheels for the 350z, the 370z they made up for it. Having wheels makes the appearance a lot better, but there is a lot of worry of curbing the wheels and attracting haters. The only way to make the 350z faster, IMO is turbo/supercharge, anything else just buy a faster car.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
my350isblack

if you like the aggressive offset look then look thru this thread and learn more about it

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...s-welcome.html

the black one in the pics is on coils

Last edited by my350isblack; 01-20-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
sfearl1

ahh damn why are you guys helping this NOOB?

i kid i kid you remind me EXACTLY of myself a few months back - same questions and all. pretty much in the same boat too, i'm 26 and i just got my [first] Z in early october. do your research, and sleep on a few things. my mind has changed countless times over the past 3 months, and it will probably change more as time passes between modifications. the more research you do, the more dialed in you will get on the look and feel you're going for with your Z, and also a deeper understanding of the quality of parts and their manufacturers represented here on these boards. a few notable ones i've had VERY POSITIVE experiences with so far are without a doubt Motordyne Engineering (www.motordyneengineering.com, The Z Store (www.thezstore.com), Wheeldude.com (www.wheeldude.com ... durr), and AssaulTech (www.assaultech.com).

i too have an 06 enthusiast (daytona blue) and i have done everything these guys are telling you - I'm taking it slowly (painfully slow...I NEED MORE MODS lol) with tasteful, quality additions to my Z. so far, i've gotten an intake (pop charger - not much if any noticeable power, but damnit it sounds cool lol), and i've done a few aesthetic upgrades - clear front corners, painted my calipers, replaced an inside scratched up driver-side door handle panel thingy, etc.

i have a new set of Motordyne sway bars, a set of RS*R Down springs, and some 'stealth' amber turn signals sitting next to me at my desk as we speak. in about 2 weeks i'll have a motordyne dual Ti exhaust, and a square set of Rota Torque 18x9.5+20 wheels with Toyo T1R's (fronts: 255x40x18 and rears: 275x40x18) my b-day is january 29th and previous birthdays have sucked ***** so i'll be damned if i don't do it BIG this year! haha

future mods are the 5/16" motordyne plenum spacer, mrev2, test pipes, and to wrap it all up, i'll be getting the osiris tune at the time of installation to maximize the performance of these mods. i was playing with the idea of headers, but taking into consideration the amount of work and time it will take my tuning shop to put these in, i just don't see it worth the money for the gains it provides. pulleys and a stage 2/3 clutch are the mods on my back burner - might or might not do these.

good luck with your Z man, you're gonna love it, and i'm sure you'll find what works for YOU, with a little research
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
orangeflash

Originally Posted by fat3oy
Well... I am 25, College Grad, and an OIF Disabled Vet... I would kill to be 17 again tho

I am really excited over all the advice I've been given. The picture below is an example of how I want the wheels to look, just black. I'm thinking coilovers, rolled finders, and a good offset will achieve this (even tho i think the z in that pic is on air, not coils.)

Yea I dont expect to gain 100HP at all, I want to stay NA, because I still want to maintain engine longevity. I think the mods will come in this order; intake (if i dont stick to stock,) exhaust, headers, cat, plenum, then maybe down the line some cams and a flywheel, but the latter two are on the back burner for sure. I'll never track this car unless I buy another, then everything changes, hell I still baby it when driving now, going over 3k rpm stresses me out, rofl. ESPECIALLY after all this oil sucking nonsense I keep hearing about, thank god i am still under power train warranty.

As far as bodykits or body mods in general, i really need to do my research, keeping it clean and not overdoing it with over-the-top mods is my goal, I think the most evasive thing I will do, is shave the car clean.

Again all this advice is invaluable. I cant thank you all enough for your kindness.

PS even tho I am not 17, I'll still try to save my money... good advice none the less u damn flamer!!! :P (first flame i received actually lol)
much respect... at least you took it like a man . I guess im just jealous because i dont have any extra cash to throw on the z. ohh well.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 AM
SageZ

Originally Posted by sfearl1
I too have an 06 enthusiast (daytona blue) and i have done everything these guys are telling you - I'm taking it slowly (painfully slow...I NEED MORE MODS lol) with tasteful, quality additions to my Z. so far, i've gotten an intake (pop charger - not much if any noticeable power, but damnit it sounds cool lol), and i've done a few aesthetic upgrades - clear front corners, painted mycalipers , replaced an inside scratched up driver-side door handle panel thingy, etc.
not cool
Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[B]
First off, it seems fitting that the first performance mods i do are an exhaust and an intake. But I am lost in the sauce. Some folks say I can lose performance if I buy the wrong one... That scares me. I've heard the 2006 OEM intake actually gives better performance than most aftermarket. Is this true? Which intakes should I be considering? After deciding on an intake\exhaust, i read that I have to reflash my ecu (?) what does this mean and where do I get it done?
Most exhausts for the 350z do not lose power. The OEM design is pretty restrictive, for a reason (mainly emissions and sound for the public masses). If your looking for a little more power and a similar tone to the stock sound, stick with the Nismo or Fujitsibo Legalis exhausts. I've also heard the Motordyne Gamma exhaust in person and it sounds a lot like the Nismo/Fuji exhausts. You can also just throw on a set of high-flow cats or test pipes on the stock exhaust system and that will improve your sound a bit, though if the test pipes are unresonated, the sound may be 'raspy'. I had unresonated test pipes on my Z with my Nismo exhaust for about two weeks and hated every second. I made the switch to HFC's and never looked back. On a side note, generally speaking the louder exhausts will give you better gains, so its all a trade-off in the end.

As for tuning the ECU, you have the option to get it reflashed or get something like UpRev/Osiris, which is software you use to tune the car. I have my car tuned with UpRev and it is a great software with a lot of useful tools. UpRev is nice because you pay for the cable/software once and create maps that you can build off of. You just have to take it to a tuner and have them play with it as you add mods.

While on the subject of exhausts, ive seen a billion posts about the best sound, and its quiet confusing. I really enjoy the 'tuned' sound of the OEM exhaust, and I absolutely despise the ricer sound of a high pitch crackle of most after market exhausts (think honda civic meets coffee can...) Which exhaust either maintains the tuned sound, improves it (deeper, mellow, not high pitch) and adds HP? I do want bang for buck, but money is back burner when it comes to the sound of the car.
See post above.

Next, folks tell me the wheels on my Z are "atrocious," I will be going for a black on white color scheme (my stock color is white,) I think smoked headlights/taillights and reflectors, with carbon fiber accents, and black rims would look pretty good. But again I am lost in the sauce on my rims. I want the wheels to fit perfectly in the wheel well, I want it to be filled, but at the same time I want the best performance. I also know that the wheels have to be different sizes. If you understand what I am talking about, what size wheels exactly do I need? What is offset and what about it do I need? And is fender rolling necessary (whatever it is?)
You can visit this thread to get some ideas on looks. I'm assuming your car is Pikes Peak White and you wish to accent it with black/carbon fiber. White is one color which looks great just white or with a two-tone look. It also goes well with many different colors of rims; silver, black, gunmetal, bronze, gold, etc.

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-colors...eak-white.html

Onto car lights. I think I have the HIDs, when I turn them on, they seem to warm up, taking about 5 seconds to reach full intensity. After reading I assume these are the bi-xenon headlights. Am I right? If I want the bluer tinted HID lights what bulbs do I buy and from where? Is it true that I have to take off the bumper to change the damn headlights?
Yes, all 2006 models received the Bi-Xenons. If you want a more blueish shade for the light output, you'd probably want a bulb in the 5000-6000k range. Do note bulbs for those lights are not cheap. I cannot comment about changing the bulbs, as I have never had to do it.

Last but not least. If you could pick one website where you can pick up most if not all of your\my mods, that have good prices, and a good selection what would it be?
Its hard to just single out one vendor. There are several good vendors on the site and many sell lots of different parts, but all not necessarily all sell the same. Some sell just body parts, some more gears just towards engine/suspension parts. Be sure to peruse the Vendor classifieds for good deals and check the iTrader feedback for vendor recommendations.

Last edited by Armitage; 01-24-2010 at 04:39 AM.