Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What's up with the paint on the Z???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 10:41 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ToddLuc
The one thing that has never been mentioned throughout this thread is where the orange peel is?

Just wondering,
Todd
On the Z (and most cars) it the vertical surfaces and then mostly the doors. It's rare to have really bad peel on the hood, roof or rear deck.

One cause of Orange Peel is the paint being applied too wet and dripping, ever so slightly, before drying; hence the more you will see on vertical surfaces (gravity doing it's thing). Even a very slight amount of peel is noticable.

If the surface does not look like glass (or wet) you have peel. If your car looks great wet and not quite the same dry, then you probably has a very minor amount of O.P. That's the easiest way to tell.

It used to drive me nuts that no matter how much waxing I did I could never get it to look like it does when I just run water over the finish. Now I know why!
Old 09-01-2002, 04:58 PM
Ari1856

Default That's what I heard

Color sanding should by a competent body shop fix it. They basically sand the paint and re-wax.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Brad4rdHay

Your screwed. DON'T color sand your car. Even if they do it perfectly, they are removing about the top .3 mils of the clear coat which like I explained, is not a good idea. While polishingremoves paint, color sanding removes it much quicker.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:06 PM
Brad4rdHay

Trust me, the paint is on par with a BMW 3-Series. Its not cheap, its just not show quality.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:43 PM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by Z&Jet-Pilot

On the Z (and most cars) it the vertical surfaces and then mostly the doors. It's rare to have really bad peel on the hood, roof or rear deck.

One cause of Orange Peel is the paint being applied too wet and dripping, ever so slightly, before drying; hence the more you will see on vertical surfaces (gravity doing it's thing). Even a very slight amount of peel is noticable.

If the surface does not look like glass (or wet) you have peel. If your car looks great wet and not quite the same dry, then you probably has a very minor amount of O.P. That's the easiest way to tell.

It used to drive me nuts that no matter how much waxing I did I could never get it to look like it does when I just run water over the finish. Now I know why!
Thank you.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:12 AM
roberto350z

give me a break. Its almost like you guys have never seen a new car before. They have orange peel. So what...get in and drive and you wont see the paint!!!!
Old 09-02-2002, 06:39 AM
SunsetZ

I guess I got lucky, my serial number is in the 340's and the paint is flawless.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:21 AM
morganjd

Can someone post a picture of what orange peel looks like?
Old 09-02-2002, 07:32 AM
Brad4rdHay

rpgonzalez: exactly, all new cars have it. Its not something to fret over.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:18 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Originally posted by VQracer
I see orange peel on my Daytona Blue
It appears that the blue is one of the colors that most susceptible to O.P. This is true will all cars, not just the Z!

There were six Z at the dealer and only the blue ones has it. Seems the silvers are the least likely candidates.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:55 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Almost all of my previous cars (2 -NSX's, 2- Mercedes, 1-Volvo, 1- New Beetle and some I forgot) have been black.

Aside from the extra effort rrequired to maintain a black car, the paint has always been virtually flawless!

Black cars show peel the worse and my guess is that the factory pays particular attention to them.

Although there is a black Jag (X-type) in display at Newark Airport that has some orange peel on the doors. Of all the places to display a perfect paint job, I would think that would be one of them!
Old 09-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Brad4rdHay

You can have it re-cleared after color sanding, but you have to have the entire panel re-sprayed, and unless they are super carefull, it to could have orange peel. My advice isto save yor money and just enjoy the car. BUT, that is an option, albiet an expensive one.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:11 PM
roberto350z

phoenix.

I have seen plenty of orange peel on NEW cars...not '91, not '95 or even '99.

I have seen it on Honda Accords, but not acura RSX's. I have seen it on cherokees and not yukons. I have not seen it on Kia's. So who knows what the deal is, but Im not so sure if it has to do with "cheap"

Quick Reply: What's up with the paint on the Z???