Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LICENSE to Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 10:36 PM
xray2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LICENSE to Speed

Proposal: taking the German autobahn position to a new level.

Rather than just have a fast speed limit, my proposal is as such:

1. Need a sports car to speed. Some governing body must certify a car to speed > 90 mph. 911, Z, Corvette, WRX, etc.

2. Comprehensive driver's testing. Read $$$$$ for the training. Lots of track time at high speeds, akin to a pilot's license. You need to acrue major hours at high speed to get the license. This would take a couple of years to finish. So now 16 years olds could do it, till 19 plus 2 for training.

3. Limitations:
Basic ways to stop speeders from death.
a. Can't speed in the rain or other inclement weather.
b. Can't speed in a metropolitan area.
c. Reasonable speed at night.

4. Max speed of 140 mph, anywhere USA.
5. Certificate of SPEED or maybe some electronic transponder for the cops to ignore speeding car, sort of like SPEEDPASS for really speeding.

-Xray
Old 10-25-2003, 10:42 PM
CarEnthusiast

ummm............................
Old 10-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Ricky
Banned

This is a joke, right? As much as I'd love that... just think for a second of the practabilty of your idea..
Old 10-25-2003, 10:57 PM
breakerboy

thats the best idea EVAR!
Old 10-25-2003, 10:59 PM
RAR

yea me and a friend talked about multilevel licansing, but it would never happen.....
Old 10-25-2003, 11:33 PM
350zroadster

So you mean go to local DMV, hop into a GoCart, and try to beat your instructor?

While I really don't think my need to speed at 140 mph is that critical, I think it would be a nice way to squeeze old geezers off the highway.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:53 PM
longbowe

Actually, I've been playing with this idea as well, but I think mine is a little more moderate. What I'd like to see is a license that you need to have proven track time to get. Maybe the test can even be at a track. Along with that test, the driver must re-take the street driving test to make sure he or she still remembers "normal" driving rules. If he or she passes both levels, he or she is issued a certain license.

Anyone with the license would not lose points for speeding unless it also involved reckless driving (endangerment). However, there would still be a fine for having thumbed one's nose at the law.

This way, people would still have to pay a financial penalty for disregarding the law, but would not have to worry about not being able to afford insurance ever. You get a speeding ticket without reckless driving? You pay the penalty just like everyone else, but you don't get points docked.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Jsn350Z

Umm, well, there would be no way for an officer to be able to tell if you had this licence or not. They would have to pull over everyone anyways to see if they had it or not.

Two guys have a Z, both are driving 130 mph. Officer needs to get both to tell who does or does not have it. Or they could not pull you over, they just wouldnt know, wouldnt work.

Plus you never know what others will do in their car. And no matter how good of a driver you are there is always room for mistakes at those speeds.

hey I'm only 19, I should love this idea shouldnt I? Well it seems fun but just not practicle.

Would not want to risk my Z, my life, or others lifes. One other driver cuts you off, and all three are gone.

Last edited by Jsn350Z; 10-26-2003 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:20 AM
Jsn350Z

Oh and they would not spendall that money for some transponder for each person with the licnence. Thatwould cost a WHOLE LOT MORE then you would think...
Old 10-26-2003, 12:27 AM
Hank Scorpio

This is wrong/stupid on so many levels...How about you just speed all you want and avoid getting caught? That's what I've been doing for the last 2 years...
Old 10-26-2003, 01:13 AM
xray2

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
Oh and they would not spendall that money for some transponder for each person with the licnence. Thatwould cost a WHOLE LOT MORE then you would think...
Hey, it's a proposal. Don't quote stuff you made up. If someone is going to pay 10k for driving lessons, they are going to pay for a transponder to allow it. The DMV doesn't pay YOU anything for a license anyway.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:11 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the people could just have a special plate that would indicate they had the liscense, thus, cop doesnt have to pull them over to know for sure.

however thats impossible. for one, there are various highways that have turns in them that many cars couldnt take at 140. including the Z.

second, outside of metropolitan areas, most large highways become 4 lanes, sooner or later your gonna have some standard driver get rear ended to the moon by some "good" driver that happened to doze off or just made a mistake.

basicly it boils down to, with enough money and time, it could be set up, add an extra lane for good drivers only, so they cant rear end, along with a special plate to signify them. but all of this would cost billions(particularly the roads, and the testing methods to put it in place) and the question that rises is why?

do we need to go faster? no, 75-80 is plenty actually. hate to break it to you, but you go down the road at 140 and your Z is gonna hate you, thats not exactly cruising for it. of all the places to put money, itd be hard for the government to justify it to let rich people with fast cars have their own lane.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:27 AM
samw1978

Even though I wished this would happen, but it's not gonna happen, don't think the government would want to put money into some system that lets people speed.... they just want to issue the ticket and get money from you! Not paying money and reduce the ticket issued....
Old 10-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Jetpilot718

hey, we could also have a 250-knot speed restriction below FL100 (10K feet), and 200kts within class B airspace...

Old 10-26-2003, 08:05 AM
jgraeb01

Hehe ... these people would also need their own highways. Let's face it, how many times have you come across that moron doing 40 mph in the MIDDLE LANE(s) of a 3-4 lane highway where the speed limit is 55-70? And as you're trying to get around the moron from any side you can (as is everyone else), you almost end up side-swiping (or getting side-swiped by someone) who's trying to get around the same moron. I think that they should start giving tickets for failure to meet MINIMUM speeds on the highways -- though they can, I've never seen it happen.

I've always said, if you want to do 40 mphs, use the damn streets -- stay off the highway. And if you absolutely MUST, then use the right lane ... !

Oh, and while I'm ranting ... don't ride the damn left lane either! Even if you're hauling butt! It's a passing lane! Get in, pass, get out! It'll save you from getting hit by the #1-Lane Radar trap anyways.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:32 PM
nigevellie

Default Re: LICENSE to Speed

Originally posted by xray2
Proposal: taking the German autobahn position to a new level.

Rather than just have a fast speed limit, my proposal is as such:

1. Need a sports car to speed. Some governing body must certify a car to speed > 90 mph. 911, Z, Corvette, WRX, etc.

2. Comprehensive driver's testing. Read $$$$$ for the training. Lots of track time at high speeds, akin to a pilot's license. You need to acrue major hours at high speed to get the license. This would take a couple of years to finish. So now 16 years olds could do it, till 19 plus 2 for training.

3. Limitations:
Basic ways to stop speeders from death.
a. Can't speed in the rain or other inclement weather.
b. Can't speed in a metropolitan area.
c. Reasonable speed at night.

4. Max speed of 140 mph, anywhere USA.
5. Certificate of SPEED or maybe some electronic transponder for the cops to ignore speeding car, sort of like SPEEDPASS for really speeding.

-Xray
think about it from the gov'ts point of view

you: i wanna go fast. spend money so i can go fast
gov't: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 10-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Jetpilot718

I do agree with this on a certain level however:

Holding a "Special" licence should aid you in a few ways:

-May exempt you from "speeding" as long as not deemed reckless (a la Autobahn).

(You can be pulled over on the Autobahn for being stupid)

-May allow for lowered insurance costs

(a better-skilled driver is a safer driver)

-May be used to help your case, should a moving violation be levied against you.

Dont expect a miracle. I believe the above is the extent of this Special license that could ever be possible.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Jsn350Z

"Hey, it's a proposal. Don't quote stuff you made up. If someone is going to pay 10k for driving lessons, they are going to pay for a transponder to allow it. The DMV doesn't pay YOU anything for a license anyway."

What about all the money each town would have to spend to set up a system and have it linked into each squad car? Yeah exactly..
Old 10-26-2003, 02:57 PM
jedoublery

This is where the downfall of democracy appears.....

WHY WOULD THE MAJORITY OF THE PUBLIC LET THE GOVERNMENT DO THIS???
Old 10-26-2003, 03:04 PM
jedoublery

You might think it's a good idea, your friends might think it's a good idea, but what about outside of your circle?
Don't get me wrong, I've thinking about the samething for years, but I still can't think of a good rebuffle for the argument stated above.

In order for the lawmaker to initial something, there must be a demand from the public.
Take a poll with your fellow commuters with Prizm or Taurus, the day when these people have an interest on multilevel licensing, will be the day all of our dream comes true.

Quick Reply: LICENSE to Speed