Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Convince me to buy a 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 02:00 PM
kbomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a Honda family..my dad works on Hondas...it was hard to break the mold. But he absolutely loves the Z.

I would have gone with s2000 but it was a convertible and it snows alot in MD and wasn't practical. I do like the s2000 because it has the smoked headlight housing and new clusters sidemarkers. Also it has more torque for the 2004. ALso HIDS and leather and reliable company.

Just drive both and you'll know.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
cincyspider

The EVO is a pig.....aka UGLY!

Now you're down to 2.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:22 PM
del105
15 f125

The EVO is a pig.....aka UGLY!
The 350Z is a pig......aka IT WEIGHS TO MUCH!
Old 10-27-2003, 02:34 PM
p e a n u t

What's up guys,
I too, am torn over the S and the Z. As my first post, I'd like to mention the issue regarding the HIDs. If you put both cars on the freeway, the S2K will span out and cover the center divider all the way to the freeway wall, retaining its intensity all the way through. While in the far right lane, it creates an extremely long, sharp, and bright beam. I love watching it cruise through a bumpy road and see the cut-off line moving rapidly around its surroundings. Seeing the car oncoming is a whole other light show. The cut of the lens combined with its rigid chassis make it a fireworks show. Each bump it hits emits a flash paired with a different light in the color spectrum marking for a very aggresive color shift or flicker. It makes it seem as the driver is flashing his brights back and forth. That gets the car pulled over a lot, but I like it. Also, when the S2000's front bumper is near another cars rear bumper in the next lane, a sharp line appears on the adjacent cars rear. Not a lot of HIDs have that characteristic. The problem with the Z's HIDs is the overall size of its lens. It's about the size of a quarter while that of the S2000's is noticeably larger than a half dollar. That doesn't allow it to illuminate much of the road and leaves it with no color shift. It's weird that such a small part of a car can sway my decision over the two. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm sure people who pay attention to the lighting properties of cars will agree that the S2K's HIDs are unmistakable and very distinguished at night. I think the TSX and TL have adopted the same lens.

Anyway, I love the looks of both cars. I think it sucks that the S2000 is pretty much limited, even with the Comptech blower in terms of performance. The Z, on the other hand, is still an unknown in the game. It looks very promising in terms of performance beyond the factory. I love the amenities and creature comforts it has to offer, where as the S is bare and more "performance oriented" like ares said. Thus, I know the Z would make a much better daily driver for me. I'm used to the relative torque in my 00 V6 accord. Yet, something about the S2000 always lures me back to the dealer. You DEFINITELY can not go wrong either way. Both cars are awesome and are sure to leave a mark in the book of automotive history. The question is: Which page do you want to be on?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:43 PM
hansel

Maybe I shouldn't have worded the subject of the thread like I did

Anyways, when I said "Convince me to buy a 350z" I didn't mean it literally. Of course I know that nobody can convince me to buy a car... I have to test drive it first. And no, I haven't test drove any of these cars. I just recently decided to look around for a new car. I don't plan on test driving till spring because that's when I'll have enough money for a down payment.

But does it really hurt that much to ask for other people's opinion and do research on a car before I buy it? I'm sorry I don't have the money to just throw away on a car that I know nothing about. I need to think of many things before I buy the car. Such as insurance rates, practicality, winter driving, maintenance, etc.

Thank you to those who provided useful information for me to consider. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:08 PM
jor8888

Chicago gets cold and windy in the winter but it doesnt snow that much. I think we had like less than 10 days of snow for last year plus we pay alot of tax :] so they salt the streets before the storm comes. I heard many ppl just switch to all season tires like Pilot Sports A/S or Snow Tires LM22 and they work fine in the winter.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:09 PM
jgraeb01

Originally posted by jedoublery
Opps, he was referring to the roadster.....
In that case, at least you can grocery shop in style....
Bah! I wasn't whinning, just trying to share some information Mr. Meanie Pants.

And what if the girlfriend wants to go shopping with you and you have his and hers Roadsters? Aha! What then smarty pants?

Just joking around ...
Old 10-27-2003, 05:14 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

I was torn between the two myself and still love the S. The S in my opinion was "more fun" to drive but also inpractical. I need more room then the S2000 has to offer. Another thing is girls. They freak over the Z and the S2000....well...... they think its a Miata. That sounds shallow but it is a reason for alot of us. The only reason I even shave and shower.
In the end the Zs styling and abundant torque won me over. I didnt want to blow my tranny just to run a decent 1/4 or win a street race from a dig.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:16 PM
jgraeb01

Originally posted by Turcoupe
2004 Honda s2000 Roadster $33,260

2004 350z Roadster $34,390

(If $1,130 is going to break your bank then you shouldn't be shopping for a mid 30k sports car)

My HID's work perfect on my 350z. Last time I saw a s2000 on the road at night, it's HID's didn't look any better.
Well, this really isn't a fair comparison. It depends on when he purchased. There was a 12-19k swing between the S2000 and the 350ZR back in August. How do you figure the swing? Dealers were dealing on the S2k (you could get one for 1k over invoice to MSRP). Dealers were not dealing on the 350ZR ... in fact, there was an FYC added to them.

So, if you figure MSRP for the S2k @ 33k, and the 350Z @ 35k plus a 10k FYC ... that's a 12k difference ... you can put a SC in the S2k for that and still have money to spare.

And yes, I know that the differential is no longer that high ... but again, it depends on when he was ready to buy.

Just my pennies.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:20 PM
jor8888

Everyone looks at the Z on the road. My co-worker has S2000 and I walk by his car all the time and I dont even bother looking at it hehe its so un-apealing when there are 2 other convertible z out there in the parking lot along with my DB coupe.

Last edited by jor8888; 10-27-2003 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:23 PM
CAR2

If you have to ask its not for you. It either grabs you by the B*lls or it doesn't......
Old 10-27-2003, 05:26 PM
jgraeb01

Originally posted by jor8888
Everyone looks at the Z on the road. My co-worker has S2000 and I walk by his car all the time and I dont even bother looking at it hehe its so un-apealing when there are 2 other convertible z out there in the parking lot along with my DB coupe.
That's true ... but the S2000 got its share of looks back in 1999/2000 when it was brand new. The Z is only a second year car. 2-3 years from now, there might just as well be as many S2ks as 350Z's on the road.

... and let's not forget the new Supra
Old 10-27-2003, 05:36 PM
jor8888

Supra is just a myth, it wasnt in the Oct Tokyo Auto Show so its not going to come out for another 2-3 years. By that time the new styled Z and the RX7 will be out.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by del105
The 350Z is a pig......aka IT WEIGHS TO MUCH!
I kinda like it weighing what it does. Heavy duty. As long as it gets down the road like it does and has a lot of room for developing more power with add ons how can you complain. I know that beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes clear to the bone
Old 10-27-2003, 05:46 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Plus people don't realise that there is alot of room for weight loss. Spare tire, seats....etc.
If were as fast as we are stock imagine less 300lbs. Just worry it might throw our weight distribution off.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:48 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

You like the Z and the S2000. Unless your planning on racing, you should get the S2000. Both great cars, very close in every day performance. YOU like the looks of the S2000 best, so I would go with that if I were you.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:38 PM
DeZigner

You write that you haven't driven any of them. Well, it may seem extremely simplistic, but one of your overriding determining factors will be how well you fit into the vehicles. If you have any size at all, you will have a hard time fitting into the S2000. I am 6' 4" and 210, and didn't come anywhere close to fitting into it. I fit nicely into the Z.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Chris S

Dude, put down the crack pipe! No personality? IMO it has more personality than any car I've ever driven! Think about it: ground-up design by Honda's F1 engineers, hand built in the NSX factory, 9K rpm redline, no shared components vs. a mass produced, value-priced, shared platform sports car.

Regardless, I'd advise against the S2000 for a Chicago daily driver due to the lack of space and traction control. I LOVE mine as a weekend toy in a warmer climate, though! ~25K miles w/ no material problems...my 350Z friends w/ much lower mileage haven't been nearly as trouble-free.

Originally posted by fanatic
the S2K is a little more nimble and lighter, but it has NO personality, and the Z has 287 hp's and 6 cylinders stock....so I think in the long run it will be a more dependable car........plus, the S2k looks like an elongated Miata the Z is a piece of history.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:53 PM
hokiemax

Originally posted by Turcoupe
2004 Honda s2000 Roadster $33,260

2004 350z Roadster $34,390

(If $1,130 is going to break your bank then you shouldn't be shopping for a mid 30k sports car)

My HID's work perfect on my 350z. Last time I saw a s2000 on the road at night, it's HID's didn't look any better.
That was a very immature response of you.

I said leather was very important to me. Enthusiast roadster dosnt come with leather. And S2000's HID IS IN FACT better than the 350z HID lights. Lets figure some options like mud guards and floor mats and etc etc and the enthusiast roadster hovers just below 35k. I got my s2k brand new for 30k and change. I wasn't willing to pay 5000 bucks more for cloth seats. And I said I liked the go-cart feel of the s2000 too. And for 30k and change, I felt it was a good buy.

Why do u think I am bashing on the 350z? I own 2 maximas in addition to my s2000 and there are 2 more maximas in our family and I know all about the 350z and I almost bought one. My twin bro might get one too.

So please. dont give me any immature flames.

so sleepy. gotta sleep now. sorry for the bad grammer.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Jsn350Z

The mitsu would be out for me, due to reliability alone.

The S2000 is a AWESOME car that is EXTREAMLY fun to drive (more fun then my Z IMO) However, I think the Z will be the more reliable of the two cars. No one with 04 Z's have had major issues yet, including myself. The S2000 now has more tq and more liters, and a lower redline, perhaps it will be more reliable now?

S2000 and Z...TOUGH choice! The Z is cheaper, which helped my decision, and a bit faster. The S2k is just so much fun though. Oh and the Z likes mods a lot better. Not to mention I absolutly LOVE the look of a Z with 19's on it!

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy a 350Z