Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Scratches on roof during service - advice??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Primaltone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on roof during service - advice??

This past Tuesday, I took my Z in for:
1) grease on the window fix
2) passenger side armrest that need repair
3) rattling noise from right rear wheel
4) Scuff on right rear fender

Upon picking my car up (it's been there since Tuesday), I forgot about all the original items when I saw the scratches on the roof. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly inspect the car, but none of the marks look like they go beyond the clear coat. The deepest is about 3" long, and there are at least 2 others that are a foot long or more.

Obvioulsy I was ticked. I'm sure everyone here knows how Z owners feel about and treat their cars. I am meticulous, and I have the location and pattern of every cosmetic flaw mapped permanently into my brain. The marks were made while in the possesion of the dealer.

I can't really tell if the scratches were intentional or not. Either somenone keyed it or a tool was placed on it while being serviced. Maybe it will become more clear after a thorough cleaning tomrrow.

The dealer of course claims that it wasn't their fault, and that they are not liable since the car was outside. They claim that it is no different than if it were outside at my house or in public.

They are going to do me a 'favor'. They have 'graciously' offered to buff it out for free. He assures me that it will look like new again, and I will be in love with my car once again (I never fell out of love, I'm just ticked that someone abused her). He tells me that if it required a repaint, I would be liable. "Not to worry, though, because buffing will make it perfect again!"

Is a buffing treatment the best I can get out of the dealer?
Will the area that was buffed be less protected due to the loss clear coat?
What happens if buffing it doesn't fix it? In other words, how can I make them repaint it if necessary?

Although I am upset, I love my car! I'm trying to keep a level head in order to get my car back to normal, whatever it takes.

Thanks for reading. If you're interested, I'll keep you updated.

Billy
Old 10-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Dissolved

Feel your pain. Unfortunately this is an all to familiar situation for many of us. Next time they feed you that BS line, say "bullsh1T. I dropped the car off with no scratches on the roof and I get it back with scratches!" My car came back the other day with interior scratches. Not noticeable, but I made sure the ******** service manager saw. I asked for new interior panels (I knew damn well he would say no). I didnt really want new interior pieces, I just had to make a point.

Ask to speak with the service manager. If that doesnt work, call Nissan North America and file a complaint. Also, NNA should be sending you a survey shortly (everytime you visit your dealer for service they do). Dealers are penalized for poor scores and rewarded for good ones. Remember this. You paid $30k for this car, get the royal treatment you deserve. I'm a mild mannered guy. But I've found you have to be a little loud with these a$$holes to get things done. Tell them THEY WILL remove the scratches safely and return the car back to you in excellent shape....OR YOU WILL BE BACK. Make a scene, raise your voice, but don't leave there short changed
Good luck

Last edited by Dissolved; 10-31-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:26 PM
Primaltone

Thanks. I will make sure they fix it. I believe it can be buffed out, but there will always be this feeling that it's not as goood-as-new anymore.

I'm happy with my car and I still have no intention if replacing it anytime soon, but I really do wonder. Do dealers of the Z's competition act the same way? I really don't want a Porsche, but I can't imagine that a Porsche dealer would treat a customer this way.