Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bringing the car to college

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
TheFury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing the car to college

I am attending USF next year and I was wondering what your experiences with college parking is. My primary concern is that my car will get dented by some ******* opening their door. Any suggestions on parking? Any one have any experience with Tampa's traffic and parking?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
NISMOhopefull

Im not from USF but on the campus I park on the worst part is the driveway slopes, I had to plan out which lots I could park on based on the steepness. And always angle your car into a spot, that way either side can't be hit buy some jack*** will hit it with their civic or something...
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't take it to school. Easiest way to avoid dents and scratches.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^QFT
College parking lots are hell... its not a matter if you will get dents.. its a matter of how many and how bad..
Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
dirtbikr

I usually park in an undesirable lot at ASU and park as far away from walking distance from the campus as possible. Keeps the people around me to a minimum, and the only thing that has ever irked me is I came out once and there were like 5 school buses parked around my car because they used the end of the lot too. All was good though. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
350ztttt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Park mine in college, no damage whatsoever, and I go to a hippie school where everyone drives a prius and hates anything that isn't environmentally friendly...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
BigRoc

Go Bulls! I currently attend USF. But I also drive a huge truck (looking into getting a 350z). I haven't really had any problems with the parking. If you park at the Sun Dome there are usually places way in the back with no cars around. For the most part everyone is respectful towards other peoples' cars. All of my friends haven't had any trouble either. The main thing to watch out for is pedestrians, everyone at USF thinks they own the road and walk into the middle of the street without even looking.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ALWAYS park at a corner. And don't hesitate to move your car if a girl with a civic/corolla/camry/etc. move right next to you. Doesn't even matter how big the gap you have in between the two cars. They have their ways to get you...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 PM
R350Zz33

hers the deal i am a college student i daily drive my z cause i am a poor college student and being a college stund i will tell you this we are all lazy and if you park your car in the furthest spot possable you will be good i park next to my friends who i trust one drives a z the other a beautiful evo so there u go park by cars as nice as yours they dont wanna mark there **** up by hitting you
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 PM
TheFury

Originally Posted by BigRoc
Go Bulls! I currently attend USF. But I also drive a huge truck (looking into getting a 350z). I haven't really had any problems with the parking. If you park at the Sun Dome there are usually places way in the back with no cars around. For the most part everyone is respectful towards other peoples' cars. All of my friends haven't had any trouble either. The main thing to watch out for is pedestrians, everyone at USF thinks they own the road and walk into the middle of the street without even looking.
Any insight to road conditions on campus and surrounding areas? Also are there any speed bumps or parking garage inclines I should be aware of, would hate to mess up the nismo's bumper after keeping it untouched for two years. Also, generally off topic question, but do you like USF? I am nervous/ excited about next year, and would like to get a feel for what's in store.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
BigRoc

USF has been awesome and I'm glad I came here! It's just taking me forever to graduate because I've changed my major at least 5 times now :/ But there are speed bumps pretty much everywhere you go and there are 3 parking garages. As long as you take it nice and slow over the speed bumps you should be okay. I had a friend with a mustang gt that was lowered about 1"-1.5" and he never had a problems. One of the main roads through the dorm area, Holly, has a pretty steep hill and a big speed table at the top, that might be a little tricky to maneuver. The Magnolia parking garage seems a little steep, I also drive a Sierra 1500 and rarely notice stuff like that. When I'm on campus tomorrow I'll pay more attention. All the roads on campus are pretty nice, they've been doing a lot of paving and making the campus nicer since I first started. Oh and the entrance to the library parking garage has a speed bump right as you go in, again take it slow and you should be alright.

BTW what are you going to be majoring in?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Big 10 4

I go to Florida State, but live in Tampa and know a lot of people that go to USF. For the most part, from what I have seen anyways, the kind of speed bumbs that I see on the USF campus are the ones that are like 4 feet long (if that makes any sense). Just go slow and you should be good. Like R350Zz33 said, park next to nice cars because they usually don't want to hit yours since it will probably mess theirs up. I park next to a cayman and a z06 almost everyday and don't have a single scratch or dent yet.

Good luck in school and the USF/FSU game last semester was just an anomaly and won't happen again! haha
Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply gave up on driving mine altogether. So now I'm completely without worry and dent free.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 AM
RaeZ

The 2nd day I had my Z I took it to school to drop off some course work. I came back 20 minutes later and noticed that someone had left a door ding about the size of a penny on my passenger door. The ding still had fresh black paint in it (on my pikes peak white exterior!). I will never take my Z to a college parking lot again. Most students at that university don't have to work for what they have so they cannot appreciate or respect the things I have (I know it sounds cocky but its true!).
Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Put the car in the garage. Take it out on weekends to look at it. Driving the car will get it dirty.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 AM
jeff91ta

College campus parking sucks... I came out to my car to notice someone that backed out next to me cut their wheel too sharp and put a nice foot long gash in the paint along with a dented front quarter panel and a gouged front clip. Lucky for me this was a time when Nissan wasn't making Z's.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
hers the deal i am a college student i daily drive my z cause i am a poor college student and being a college stund i will tell you this we are all lazy and if you park your car in the furthest spot possable you will be good i park next to my friends who i trust one drives a z the other a beautiful evo so there u go park by cars as nice as yours they dont wanna mark there **** up by hitting you
Wow..........you made it out of high school with your punctuation skills??? Capitalization and punctuation are your friends. Use them please.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:57 AM
TheFury

Originally Posted by BigRoc
USF has been awesome and I'm glad I came here! It's just taking me forever to graduate because I've changed my major at least 5 times now :/ But there are speed bumps pretty much everywhere you go and there are 3 parking garages. As long as you take it nice and slow over the speed bumps you should be okay. I had a friend with a mustang gt that was lowered about 1"-1.5" and he never had a problems. One of the main roads through the dorm area, Holly, has a pretty steep hill and a big speed table at the top, that might be a little tricky to maneuver. The Magnolia parking garage seems a little steep, I also drive a Sierra 1500 and rarely notice stuff like that. When I'm on campus tomorrow I'll pay more attention. All the roads on campus are pretty nice, they've been doing a lot of paving and making the campus nicer since I first started. Oh and the entrance to the library parking garage has a speed bump right as you go in, again take it slow and you should be alright.

BTW what are you going to be majoring in?
I am majoring in Bio, coming in as a junior. I really appreciate the insight into the school that you have given. Also, how would you rate the safety/crime around the campus? Thinking of getting my concealed and want to get an idea if it is needed.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 AM
atolz

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Wow..........you made it out of high school with your punctuation skills??? Capitalization and punctuation are your friends. Use them please.
I usually browse these forums as a guest, because I was going to wait to register until I actually got my 350z. After reading your post I just had to comment. I really hate for this to be my first post, but you sir are a grammar ****, and nobody likes a grammar ****. This person was simply asking for help/advice and all you can do is insult him? Just because somebody doesn't use puncuations at the end of their sentence or capitalize every single word that needs it when typing in a forum, does not mean that they lack the skill. Im sorry if anyone else had to read this wall of text, but I just really had to get this off my chest. I'm not calling you a bad person though, KornerCarver, I just wanted you to understand. I'll go post a proper introduction now.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 AM
TheFury

Originally Posted by atolz
I usually browse these forums as a guest, because I was going to wait to register until I actually got my 350z. After reading your post I just had to comment. I really hate for this to be my first post, but you sir are a grammar ****, and nobody likes a grammar ****. This person was simply asking for help/advice and all you can do is insult him? Just because somebody doesn't use puncuations at the end of their sentence or capitalize every single word that needs it when typing in a forum, does not mean that they lack the skill. Im sorry if anyone else had to read this wall of text, but I just really had to get this off my chest. I'm not calling you a bad person though, KornerCarver, I just wanted you to understand. I'll go post a proper introduction now.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he wasn't calling me out. Thanks for the back-up though.

Quick Reply: Bringing the car to college