Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thinking about buying a Z...COMING from a G35 Coupe

Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
  #21  
FineWine
Registered User
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 2,822
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
the only people who complain about the bose are the ones who spend thousands of dollars on car audio. if you're not one of them, then the bose is great.
I haven't spent thousands of dollars on audio, and I can tell how much the system sucks night and day. Hell, looking at the hardware itself compared to real hardware tells the whole story.

Maybe "embarrassingly terrible" is overkill for the average driver. I guess I would rate it "acceptable, but by no means premium". I have no clue how it stacks up against the Non-bose though, like I said. At the end of the day, it's not a luxury car so I don't complain that much.
FineWine is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
  #22  
Romanteni
Registered User
iTrader: (10)
 
Romanteni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ok so to sum it up. This is how it is:

Non-blose = 100 dollar system
Blose= 150 dollar system with 400 dollar extra Bose sticker
Good sound system where you can hear all effects/sounds good = 1000 dollars or so. (you can do less).

By all means, it depends what you consider a good sound. For an average driver of a 1996 toyota camry, the blose will sound AMAZING,. To the driver of a Bentley Spur, listening to blose will sound like cheap ****. Also depends what you listen to, radio? quality cds? pc burnt cds? Don't expect in depth base/midtones with blose, as well as not great quality accent accompaniment. Overall, Blose is what its supposed to be - an upgraded sound system for middle class cars (nissan). Don't expect mercedes benz quality.

Again, if you're buying a nissan, the blose is probably good enough for you, and if you're a bentley driver buying a nissan, you're prob going to swap everything stock out anyway, why not do the sound.

Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
I haven't spent thousands of dollars on audio, and I can tell how much the system sucks night and day. Hell, looking at the hardware itself compared to real hardware tells the whole story.

Maybe "embarrassingly terrible" is overkill for the average driver. I guess I would rate it "acceptable, but by no means premium". I have no clue how it stacks up against the Non-bose though, like I said. At the end of the day, it's not a luxury car so I don't complain that much.
Romanteni is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:54 PM
  #23  
Jim07GT
Registered User
 
Jim07GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Romanteni View Post
Ok so to sum it up. This is how it is:

Non-blose = 100 dollar system
Blose= 150 dollar system with 400 dollar extra Bose sticker
Good sound system where you can hear all effects/sounds good = 1000 dollars or so. (you can do less).

By all means, it depends what you consider a good sound. For an average driver of a 1996 toyota camry, the blose will sound AMAZING,. To the driver of a Bentley Spur, listening to blose will sound like cheap ****. Also depends what you listen to, radio? quality cds? pc burnt cds? Don't expect in depth base/midtones with blose, as well as not great quality accent accompaniment. Overall, Blose is what its supposed to be - an upgraded sound system for middle class cars (nissan). Don't expect mercedes benz quality.

Again, if you're buying a nissan, the blose is probably good enough for you, and if you're a bentley driver buying a nissan, you're prob going to swap everything stock out anyway, why not do the sound.
My last car had a Bose system. I replaced the head unit, it was made by Clarion. I replaced it to get the ability to play MP3's, not to really upgrade the sound quality.

I've always felt you get a sports car for the handling, accelleration, etc, the sound system is way down on the list.

If its important to you, though, by all means spend money to get it upgraded. It can sound lots better.
Jim07GT is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
  #24  
Romanteni
Registered User
iTrader: (10)
 
Romanteni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim07GT View Post
My last car had a Bose system. I replaced the head unit, it was made by Clarion. I replaced it to get the ability to play MP3's, not to really upgrade the sound quality.

I've always felt you get a sports car for the handling, accelleration, etc, the sound system is way down on the list.

If its important to you, though, by all means spend money to get it upgraded. It can sound lots better.
Yep, good point as well, can't play MP3s. Imho, the bose in my audi is a lot better sound then 350z, but thats prob just cuz of sound insulation. I love driving sports car, but I don't want to compromise on the sound, in which case I know I have to upgrade a few things (not 1000s, but a few better things didn't hurt).
Romanteni is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 PM
  #25  
scotts300
350Z-holic
iTrader: (46)
 
scotts300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Away
Posts: 8,205
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim07GT View Post
My last car had a Bose system. I replaced the head unit, it was made by Clarion. I replaced it to get the ability to play MP3's, not to really upgrade the sound quality.

I've always felt you get a sports car for the handling, accelleration, etc, the sound system is way down on the list.

If its important to you, though, by all means spend money to get it upgraded. It can sound lots better.
That's funny - the "Harman Kardon" stereo in our Titan (which actually sounds pretty good), is made by Panasonic. Why Nissan does this name-switch thing is beyond me, but so be it. Why they still put stereos in Nissans without an Aux jack is also beyond me (though the Titan does have one).
scotts300 is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
  #26  
dewitt00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a non-bose system with an alpine headunit. The system is not impressive at all. The front speakers are ok but the back speakers are terrible. I also have 2 10' subs in it.

The rear speakers are very weak compared to the front speakers. I can barely hear them most of the time but the fronts make up for it. I plan on installing my 6.5' speakers to replace the rear speakers.

If your buying a Z then your buying it because its a blast to drive. The best way to drive the car is with the windows down and no music playing so you can listen to the engine.
dewitt00 is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 PM
  #27  
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (8)
 
terrasmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sin City
Posts: 25,590
Received 1,141 Likes on 829 Posts
Default

The leather seats are so much better than the cloth Z seats, i have both, and have driven both on 200 mile trips. The Blose is actually nice once you change the head unit out, with the stock head unit it really sucks, and skips badly.
terrasmak is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:08 PM
  #28  
hydroflip
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
hydroflip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

same car. one is more comfortable than the other. one is faster than the other.
hydroflip is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
  #29  
HEYROBI1001
Registered User
 
HEYROBI1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SUN DIEGO
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i have an 06 touring has bose, leather and other options. the car is smaller in size and remember its a two seater. Some times i whish i had a g37 to ride with more people and bring larger stuff from costco. the positive of it is its lighter, faster, sportier,more race type the the g which is more lux. i have noticed the ride on my z bumpier on freeway. the z is lower to the ground and might hit front bumper alot in pavement. if you dont like taking people places or have family u should get it because you can only ride with only one other person.
HEYROBI1001 is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM
  #30  
Romanteni
Registered User
iTrader: (10)
 
Romanteni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HEYROBI1001 View Post
i have an 06 touring has................ if you dont like taking people places or have family u should get it because you can only ride with only one other person.
Scratch that, I actually fit 2 asian chics in the front before, haha size does matter :P
Romanteni is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
  #31  
zakmartin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,820
Received 503 Likes on 372 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dewitt00 View Post
If your buying a Z then your buying it because its a blast to drive. The best way to drive the car is with the windows down and no music playing so you can listen to the engine.
Baloney. I'm tired of people saying stuff like this. You can barely hear the engine or exhaust with all the wind noise in the cabin when the windows are down.

A good sound system is worth its weight in gold when it comes to sport cars. In all reality, these cars are good for one thing only: Cruising. They make bad commuter cars, they aren't very comfortable and they they don't do well on long road trips. A good stereo makes up for a lot of the conveniences you sacrifice when you purchase a 2-seater. Nissan forgot that when it came to the 350Z.
zakmartin is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
  #32  
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (8)
 
terrasmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sin City
Posts: 25,590
Received 1,141 Likes on 829 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Romanteni View Post
Scratch that, I actually fit 2 asian chics in the front before, haha size does matter :P
Yup 2 small hookers fit fine, and they still have room to play around.
terrasmak is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
  #33  
dewitt00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zakmartin View Post
Baloney. I'm tired of people saying stuff like this. You can barely hear the engine or exhaust with all the wind noise in the cabin when the windows are down.

thats definitely a lie, unless your driving on the highway. all my driving is city driving. so when you get on it, you definitely hear it. especially with test pipes and catback.
dewitt00 is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
  #34  
carbon z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dover Ohio
Posts: 125
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I just took a weekend trip in my o3 touring model. It was a 330 mile trip one way. The route out was all freeway and Pa turnpike. Comfotable ride and fun, never got tired. Had a couple 100 mph runs and some extended 80 to 90mph runs. Averaged 24mpg out. On the way back I found four different routes that were all major turns, multible s's up and down mountains. Fun! Averaged 22mpg. Stereo, Total upgrade. Bose is 100% gone. For me the added sound makes it complete.
carbon z is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM
  #35  
juju
Registered User
 
juju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,350
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you're a sound critic, you're gonna have to upgrade the sound system. I have the non-Bose system and it sucks.
juju is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 PM
  #36  
MicroSmurf
Registered User
 
MicroSmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
The BLOSE in the Z is embarrassingly terrible.

I have not heard a non-BLOSE though.
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
the only people who complain about the bose are the ones who spend thousands of dollars on car audio. if you're not one of them, then the bose is great.

and i dont really get what youre asking, the G and the Z are the exact same car when it comes to the things youre asking about
Yes, when you have heard a real sound system... Bose = Absolute piece of garbage. Take the sub out and use it as a frisbie.
MicroSmurf is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
  #37  
[email protected]
Banned
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte / Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,531
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

why is everyone capitalizing random words? 'think about buying a Z...COMING from...'

NON-BOSE versus BOSE

Mike@Blackline is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 AM
  #38  
dfresh713
Master
iTrader: (2)
 
dfresh713's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The Z is comfortable, ive never had any problems with that! I drive about 100 miles to work now and average 26-29 mpg while on the highway. The Bose radio, is just as good if not better than most cars (stock) radio.
dfresh713 is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
  #39  
BloodRedZ
Registered User
 
BloodRedZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Palm Beach / Miami, FL
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
why is everyone capitalizing random words? 'think about buying a Z...COMING from...'

NON-BOSE versus BOSE

Who KNOWS? It's BETTER to not even BOTHER wondering.
BloodRedZ is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 AM
  #40  
Dr. Venture
Registered User
iTrader: (19)
 
Dr. Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 2,701
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

i would get an automatic if i were you.
Dr. Venture is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a Z...COMING from a G35 Coupe


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: