Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked Z - Fix it or ditch it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
MarvinMartian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FineWine
What does the bank do when their collateral is gone?
They refrain from using lube.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Ditch it. Airbags have been deployed, you need a entire front end and god knows what behind the carnage. oem pulley's etc.. could all be slightly damaged. Move on bro..
Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
MOB

Gap Ins. FTMFW!

370Z TIME!!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
juju

Definitely fixable. Won't be cheap without insurance though.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
adamc

i still cant believe you almost paid 30k for a used Z..... I just hope you learn your lesson..
and its a roadster at that....

I think you have learned your lesson tho.. always remember its not what you spend but what you get.

next time you buy a car buy it from a person and not a dealer.. also keep in mind that if they wont go down to what you want to pay... you have time.. and there are cars for sell every day.. on the other hand it is them thats wanting to sell the car.. don't buy till you find the price u want.. I have found with online searching and NOT RUSHING you can find a Steal on the car you want! any car...

if the bank accepts 15k they will not get the car as well
im pretty sure the insurance keeps the car.. that 15k buys the car from the bank/you

I want you to take grasp of how much you over paid for the car..
at time of purchase I would have only paid around 18k for it.. lol
you just may have made the worst car buy in the history of mankind

in my personal opinion.. I believe you nearly double paid on the car...

I retract my previous advice.. get whatever you can out of it so that you owe the bank the least possible amount...

and next time let your wife/girlfriend do the talking when buying a car (j/k.. thats mean heh..)
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM
marhot

Take the money, get a new Z.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
marhot

Last edited by marhot; 05-25-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: nevermind
Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Dirtriderdawg

Originally Posted by adamc
i still cant believe you almost paid 30k for a used Z..... I just hope you learn your lesson..
and its a roadster at that....

I think you have learned your lesson tho.. always remember its not what you spend but what you get.

next time you buy a car buy it from a person and not a dealer.. also keep in mind that if they wont go down to what you want to pay... you have time.. and there are cars for sell every day.. on the other hand it is them thats wanting to sell the car.. don't buy till you find the price u want.. I have found with online searching and NOT RUSHING you can find a Steal on the car you want! any car...

if the bank accepts 15k they will not get the car as well
im pretty sure the insurance keeps the car.. that 15k buys the car from the bank/you

I want you to take grasp of how much you over paid for the car..
at time of purchase I would have only paid around 18k for it.. lol
you just may have made the worst car buy in the history of mankind

in my personal opinion.. I believe you nearly double paid on the car...

I retract my previous advice.. get whatever you can out of it so that you owe the bank the least possible amount...

and next time let your wife/girlfriend do the talking when buying a car (j/k.. thats mean heh..)

Insult to injury much? The guy has acknowledged he made a financial mistake, rubbing it in isn't gonna help...

Sorry you have to make this decision bro, i would take the money and pay off that loan asap. GL!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 PM
gregom

After I bought it I checked prices on other used Z's and they were going for about $24... I don't know how you'd get 18K for it, that certainly would of been a steal. Everyone has a different opinion on what is fair and a good deal though. And of course a seller is going to try to get everything out of it they can, and sometimes it is worth it. As a seller you don't want to get ripped off either. It's all about finding a balance... In my case though, it most certainly was not a fair deal.

I don't know about the whole getting the car back deal though... the bank would have the title I think. Do they have to give it to insurance then after they get paid? I don't see why they would it's the bank's car. I don't know how this works though and I haven't talked to anyone who actually does know how it works.

Actually I did have my g/f with me at the time of shopping around but she wanted me to get a Pontiac Solstice... it was a 'cute' car but it just didn't have any power and I wanted an electric operated top. Plus those big *** bug eye head lights don't work for me.

Anyway i'm going to go to the local insurance office and talk to someone locally, see if they can get me more money or something. It's worth a try... Once the bank gets money from insurance i'll start battling with the bank to see if I can get some or all of the debt forgiven. Again its worth a try and some effort. In the end though, unless I can get insurance to just give me my Z back, i'm going to bail, pay off, then save, and get what I want. If insurance gives me my Z, i'll fix it up cheap, but still work with the bank and once the remaining balance is paid, save money for about 6 months for a nice down payment then go find a used Z at a good price.

Thanks for all the feedback/advice guys... hopefully something will work out ok for me, but when it comes down to it I think I just have to grow a pair and deal with the f*ck-up I made. I'll recover... i'll take a little time, but I'll get another Z again.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Ditch it. Airbags have been deployed, you need a entire front end and god knows what behind the carnage. oem pulley's etc.. could all be slightly damaged. Move on bro..
I dunno man i've spent a lot of time under the car and I really don't think it is that bad. I mean look at the pic below of how it all goes together... I don't think the damage went back far enough to damage the frame or the engine. Half the rad support is fine and the hood latch is probably close to or in the same position before the wreck. I think with some used parts and some time I could do it myself for under $2k. Screw the airbags i'll leave those out. I didn't need them anyway I don't know why they deployed.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by gregom
i dunno man i've spent a lot of time under the car and i really don't think it is that bad. I mean look at the pic below of how it all goes together... I don't think the damage went back far enough to damage the frame or the engine. Half the rad support is fine and the hood latch is probably close to or in the same position before the wreck. I think with some used parts and some time i could do it myself for under $2k. screw the airbags i'll leave those out. I didn't need them anyway i don't know why they deployed.

lmfao!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
raycs7

The earlier models would blow both front bags and seat belts.
Easy fix though.
Budget 1 k for used bags plus cost of belts, clock-spring and computer reset.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 PM
chewonyou

After I bought it I checked prices on other used Z's and they were going for about $24... I don't know how you'd get 18K for it, that certainly would of been a steal. Everyone has a different opinion on what is fair and a good deal though. And of course a seller is going to try to get everything out of it they can, and sometimes it is worth it. As a seller you don't want to get ripped off either. It's all about finding a balance... In my case though, it most certainly was not a fair deal.

I don't know about the whole getting the car back deal though... the bank would have the title I think. Do they have to give it to insurance then after they get paid? I don't see why they would it's the bank's car. I don't know how this works though and I haven't talked to anyone who actually does know how it works.

Actually I did have my g/f with me at the time of shopping around but she wanted me to get a Pontiac Solstice... it was a 'cute' car but it just didn't have any power and I wanted an electric operated top. Plus those big *** bug eye head lights don't work for me.

Anyway i'm going to go to the local insurance office and talk to someone locally, see if they can get me more money or something. It's worth a try... Once the bank gets money from insurance i'll start battling with the bank to see if I can get some or all of the debt forgiven. Again its worth a try and some effort. In the end though, unless I can get insurance to just give me my Z back, i'm going to bail, pay off, then save, and get what I want. If insurance gives me my Z, i'll fix it up cheap, but still work with the bank and once the remaining balance is paid, save money for about 6 months for a nice down payment then go find a used Z at a good price.

Thanks for all the feedback/advice guys... hopefully something will work out ok for me, but when it comes down to it I think I just have to grow a pair and deal with the f*ck-up I made. I'll recover... i'll take a little time, but I'll get another Z again.
Which prices did you check? Were you checking the prices that the sellers were ASKING for their car or were you checking the prices that the cars were actually clearing the market for?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM
gregom

I'm not sure why thats funny to you MOB but let me try to explain... I said that because i'm annoyed the airbags went off because I technically didn't need them. My body is used to being thrown around in the car since I track the car a fair bit, so I stay in my seat and don't flop around like some people do when driving. I have a friend who has gone to the track with me as a passenger and he flops around like those inanimate crash test dummies, seriously has no muscle control at all... really annoying. Those people need an airbag... but someone who can stay in their seat without moving around too much probably doesn't in this type of collision. Anyway, I know the speed was enough to cause them to go off... good to know they work, but sucks because they weren't needed for this situation.

Like I said earlier if I get it back i'll use it mostly for track days and auto-x so it won't be a daily driver and I'd strip out a lot of that stuff anyway.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by chewonyou
Which prices did you check? Were you checking the prices that the sellers were ASKING for their car or were you checking the prices that the cars were actually clearing the market for?
Asking for... I recall seeing dealerships were asking around $24-27K and private sales were anywhere from 20-25 depending on miles. This was almost exactly two years ago. I don't know of any way to see how much cars were actually getting sold for. Regardless I considered this average 'market value' for my region. So by that I paid about $3-7K too much for my Z. I made a very bad buying decision, I know... but it's all water under the bridge now.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM
chewonyou

Asking for... I recall seeing dealerships were asking around $24-27K and private sales were anywhere from 20-25 depending on miles. This was almost exactly two years ago. I don't know of any way to see how much cars were actually getting sold for. Regardless I considered this average 'market value' for my region. So by that I paid about $3-7K too much for my Z. I made a very bad buying decision, I know... but it's all water under the bridge now.
I'm definitely not trying to rub it in. It sucks. It must feel horrendous right now.

It's hard to see how much cars are actually going for and I'll give you that. I haven't searched the forums myself, but maybe there's a thread around where people will chime in on what they paid for what year, miles, transmission, etc. Usually those threads have more buyers and sellers and the market clearing price will be more visible.

Currently, here's my take on market clearing prices (NOT what sellers are asking):

07-08 Z Base/Enthusiast $14-$17k 17 only if the car is in fantastic shape.

370Z: less than what USAA/Zag has on a new one based on the prenegotiated price. You may be able to search that up somewhere.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
adamc

in 2008 when I was searching for my Z, I also had a few other options available to me
* 2004 Orange Touring - 52k miles - 19" wheels and several mods (nice looking car)
this car was in Alabama.. I found it on ebay.. oh and btw here is a tip!!! This car in particular did not sell on ebay for what the seller was wanting (i looked for Ended Auctions)called listed # i offered him $13,000 over the phone.. he replied $13,500. Come to find out he was a college student that got into bad financial problems and had to get rid of it.. and soon.
*2003 9r 2004 White around 75k miles for $13,000 in Tennesse

I ended up going with the following tho that was local
2003 Chrome Silver, Full Nismo Suspension, 18" LMGT4 Wheels, and 42k miles.. it however was a rebuilt title.. guy fixed it up for his daughter.. she drove it a year and hated the Stick Shift and wanted a back seat..
I walked away with it for $9,200 (profile for pics)

When you go to buy your next Z just look around.. be patient.. even if it takes you 6 months to find the one you are looking for.. even if its 500 miles away.. keep looking and the price will eventually be right!

Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you
maybe if you explain to the insurance company the loss you are taking on this car.. and how you are still going to owe 9,000.. (maybe even shed a few tears on the phone) they may actually let you keep the title but probably not.

when an insurance company hands over the check.. to either you or the bank.. they take the title at that point (if it is a total loss claim). I couldn't find my title when this old lady killed my work car (kia spectra) took me a while longer cause i had to wait on a duplicate title.

Last edited by adamc; 05-25-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Zmazing03

total it out and walk away. considering your financial situation, it isn't worth it. And, FYI, it will cost WAY over $2k to fix that, even if you do everything yourself. Trust.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 PM
andrew's 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u wanna sell the wheels pm me it will cost a lot to fix. a friend ran into a small wall with his 05 and fixed it himself and it was over 3. the bumper, radiator brakets, etc plus paint. it all adds up real quick
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
low sentra se

It's an auto roadster.... cut your loses and walk away.

Quick Reply: Wrecked Z - Fix it or ditch it?