2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat-towing a 350z? Has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
WestonP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat-towing a 350z? Has anyone done it?

Does anyone know if there is a readily available tow-bar for flat-towing a 350z? Or, even a more generic solution that works well? Has anyone actually done this?

The giant threaded tow-hook hole in the front of my '05 looks promising, but I can't seem to find anything that makes use of it, or any other Z attachment points for that matter. I've flat-towed other track cars by just installing generic tow bar brackets and such, but the Z is less accommodating of that, and I'm hoping to find a more elegant solution... I don't really want to modify it much for this, and would like to avoid having to remove the front bumper every time. Quick and simple hitching and unhitching is what I'm after.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Litesung

Risk damage to your car, or take it the secure way and get a trailer

I've seen some go as low as $400.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 PM
mcsoap

yeah actually buying a trailer is a much better choice, those tow hooks on our cars are more for emergency purposes, like hauling your car up onto a flat-bed via crank. but up to ho wmuch money you wanna hopefully save, versus how much you might end up paying for something else happening.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsoap
yeah actually buying a trailer is a much better choice, those tow hooks on our cars are more for emergency purposes, like hauling your car up onto a flat-bed via crank. but up to ho wmuch money you wanna hopefully save, versus how much you might end up paying for something else happening.
+1. But if you really must tow it without a trailer, tow from the rear.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ You cannot be serious. Flat-towing it from the rear is a sure-fire way to wreck it.

If the front wheels are free to move, the front end will swing out to one side with the rear end going the other way. If they're not free to move, the rear tires will scrub when you turn.

Did you mean to tow it with the rear wheels on a dolly?

Last edited by winchman; 06-28-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 AM
WestonP

I don't have space to store a tow dolly or trailer, and have been flat-towing other cars for several years and many thousands of miles, blah blah blah... I'm really just asking if anyone has already worked out flat-towing a Z, so that I might learn something specific to Z's, and avoid having to reinvent the wheel here. The Nissan manual specifically says you can flat-tow the Z, but I don't see any recommended attachment points or hardware.

Originally Posted by winchman
^ You cannot be serious. Flat-towing it from the rear is a sure-fire way to wreck it.

If the front wheels are free to move, the front end will swing out to one side with the rear end going the other way. If they're not free to move, the rear tires will scrub when you turn.
Exactly. It's bad enough when you flat-tow a car from the front and the steering wheel is locked... after scrubbing around the first turn, you quickly realize that you fail and need to go unlock the wheel. Towing the car from the rear would have that problem, plus issues from the front wheels not being completely straight (even if they're locked, and worse if unlocked).
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
winchman

How about renting a trailer whenever you need to tow the car? Avoids having to store the trailer, protects the car from damage and wear, and doesn't cost all that much.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

With an aluminum bumper on the car, i figure it would actually take some custom work to make it happen.

Don't mind most of the people on here, most of nintendo nerds or they worship the Z like its a $200k car.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM
PikeZ_350

I was in a hit-and-run on the interstate on my way to work a month ago....
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can rent a trailer from uhaul for like $150.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 PM
WestonP

Originally Posted by terrasmak
With an aluminum bumper on the car, i figure it would actually take some custom work to make it happen.

Don't mind most of the people on here, most of nintendo nerds or they worship the Z like its a $200k car.
Yeah, I was just hoping that someone had already been down this road and would have it at least somewhat figured out. I guess I'll have to come up with my own attachment solution, which is nothing new... I got pretty much the same response when I first talked about flat-towing my Porsche, but then I actually went and did it, other racers saw how well it works, and now more than half of our local racers are doing the same. I was just hoping this would be more familiar territory in the 350z world, since the factory manual specifically mentions that the car can do this.

Originally Posted by FineWine
You can rent a trailer from uhaul for like $150.
U-Haul here charges around $45/day for a dolly, or $55 for a full trailer... With the amount of money I'd spend renting something for just one track weekend, I could just buy a whole tow bar setup and use it all I want, whenever I want. The money savings isn't that critical of an issue, but the convenience and independence of having my own towing equipment are huge selling points for me.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:09 PM
FineWine

Originally Posted by WestonP
U-Haul here charges around $45/day for a dolly, or $55 for a full trailer... With the amount of money I'd spend renting something for just one track weekend, I could just buy a whole tow bar setup and use it all I want, whenever I want. The money savings isn't that critical of an issue, but the convenience and independence of having my own towing equipment are huge selling points for me.
You're only looking at the monetary cost of the trailer, not the significantly reduced risk of damage and wear on the vehicle.

To each his own, though.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
WestonP

Originally Posted by FineWine
You're only looking at the monetary cost of the trailer, not the significantly reduced risk of damage and wear on the vehicle.

To each his own, though.
Unless you half-*** things, the damage risk is about the same as just driving the car, and the wear is less, so it's not really an issue. Besides, I'm accepting a far greater risk with the Z when I put it on the race track... It will be just inches from the concrete walls of PPIR at 120+ MPH this weekend.

I just strongly prefer to have my own support vehicle (and some cargo capacity) with me at the track, and an easy and comfortable tow home if I break something. That works great when I race wheel-to-wheel, and I plan to eventually do the same with the Z.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman

Did you mean to tow it with the rear wheels on a dolly?
I am serious. As long as the drive wheels are off the ground, he will minimize mechanical damage to the vehicle. As far as the front wheels scrubbing, sure, it's not advised and it's best to use a dolly, but IF he REALLY must, that's really no different than driving a tractor with a 40' trailer ... or any trailer for that matter. Whatever you do, you really won't f*ck anything up. We recover regular vehicles as well as M-series types all the time and we get trained on expedient/safe vehicle recovery. If you have doubts, check out page 6-11 of your owner's manual. It states towing from the rear with the front on the ground is acceptable. Let's face it, not veryone has a dolly. But yes, a trailer or dolly would be ideal.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
winchman

"As long as the drive wheels are off the ground," it's NOT being flat-towed. Flat towing means all four wheels are on the ground, and you're pulling the vehicle with a tow bar.

I'd say the chances of damaging the actual steering system components are minimal with the rear wheels on a dolly, but it could put quite a load on the steering wheel lock mechanism.

Maybe there's another way to keep the steering wheel from turning that I don't know about. I've never had to have any of my own vehicles towed. My '58 Ford school bus broke down a couple times, but I drove off in the early-'50s Chevy spare bus as soon as the guys from the bus shop showed up.

Last edited by winchman; 06-30-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
psychoballistic

I drive tow trucks on the side. I would highly advise against flat towing or even wheel lifting one of these cars. Flatbed rollbacks are really the safest way to go, the tow hook in the front is only for winching/ recovery purposes, not pulling at driving speeds.

I'm with Finewine on this one, to each his own. Just because a manual says you can do something doesn't mean you should. What happens if you break something at the track, steering column, control arm, tranny, flat towing or wheel lifting is useless unless you have tow dolly jacks, or a flat bed style towing setup.

Anytime you tow a vehicle without the tranny being fully disengaged meaning it can't effect anything should it go into gear you run the risk or hurting more then your trans. Say it slips into gear at 50mph being towed and the drive shaft is bolted up to your rear end, boom goes the rear, the trans and whatever else if you don't catch it quick enough. In 4x4 towing if there isn't a Neutral shift point, then we have to take the driveshafts out to ensure smooth and safe towing.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:34 PM
johnrdadrian

Yes a 350z with a standard transmission can be flat towed. They recommend to start the engine and let it idle for 5 min every 500 miles. Search for "Dinghy Guide 2004", the 350z is listed with instructions on what to do.

The 350z frame width is 920 mm or 36.2" outside to outside. The separation on the Amazon.com "GOFARAUTO BX1126 Tow Bar Base Plate, Compatible with 07-17 Jeep Wrangler and 07-17 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JK)" is 34.5". This costs only $309.99 USD. With a few strategic bends to make up 3/4" on each side, and some holes drilled in the frame, you have the missing piece.

There is no base plate made specifically for the 350z. There are two designed for the 370z. One is sold by:
https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plate-...l?vehicleid=00
This sells for $592

-A good Flat Tow wiring kit for $99 is:
Amazon Amazon

-A 350z base plate made from GOFARAUTO BX1126 Tow Bar Base Plate, Compatible with 07-17 Jeep Wrangler and 07-17 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JK): https://a.co/d/daQbaCl

Anybody that says Flat Towing will wreck a 350z, or that it cant be done, has not done their research. They are just plain wrong.

Last edited by johnrdadrian; 05-26-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:35 PM
johnrdadrian

Yes a 350z with a standard transmission can be flat towed. They recommend to start the engine and let it idle for 5 min every 500 miles. Search for "Dinghy Guide 2004", the 350z is listed with instructions on what to do.

The 350z frame width is 920 mm or 36.2" outside to outside. The separation on the
Amazon.com Amazon.com
"GOFARAUTO BX1126 Tow Bar Base Plate, Compatible with 07-17 Jeep Wrangler and 07-17 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JK)" is 34.5". This costs only $309.99 USD. With a few strategic bends to make up 3/4" on each side, and some holes drilled in the frame, you have the missing piece.

There is no base plate made specifically for the 350z. There are two designed for the 370z. One is sold by:
This sells for $592

-A good Flat Tow wiring kit for $99 is:
Amazon Amazon
-A 350z base plate made from GOFARAUTO BX1126 Tow Bar Base Plate, Compatible with 07-17 Jeep Wrangler and 07-17 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JK): https://a.co/d/daQbaCl

Anybody that says Flat Towing will wreck a 350z, or that it cant be done, has not done their research. They are just plain wrong.

Last edited by johnrdadrian; 05-26-2023 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

Originally Posted by johnrdadrian

The 350z frame width is 920 mm or 36.2" outside to outside. The separation on the Amazon.com "Camoo BX1126 Tow Bar Base Plate Tow Bar Bracket for 2007-2018 Wrangler JK JKU" is 34.5". This costs only $288.99 USD. With a few strategic bends to make up 3/4" on each side, and some holes drilled in the frame, you have the missing piece.

This sells for $592

A good Flat Tow wiring kit for $99 is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XB1W6BQ...roduct_details

13 year dead thread
The following users liked this post:
johnrdadrian (05-18-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 06:47 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by travlee
13 year dead thread
Flashback to my 20's, thanks for this
The following users liked this post:
johnrdadrian (05-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Flat-towing a 350z? Has anyone done it?