2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just need more Z time!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 PM
hartsickdiscipl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need to be using your Z as a daily driver. I hear you about wear, gas, tires, etc.. But the car is made to be driven. It's not a $100,000 car, and it's a Nissan.. so put some miles on it and enjoy it.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who said you can't own 2? LOL

Make that your weekend toy, then save up get another one to be a DD. Preferably one with over 100K miles. i've seen them go for less than 10k in some places
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Hundred Plus

Originally Posted by hartsickdiscipl
Sounds like you need to be using your Z as a daily driver. I hear you about wear, gas, tires, etc.. But the car is made to be driven. It's not a $100,000 car, and it's a Nissan.. so put some miles on it and enjoy it.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
prnstr40

Originally Posted by pistols07Z
I agree with what you are saying. You bought a nice toy, then use it and enjoy it. But on the other side of the token this is the thought process that got the economy in the shape it is now. "Forget taking care of the nice things you have and let them last, just keep buying and selling and losing thousand and thousand at a time". Just because you can "afford" it, does not make it a wise decision. I think financial security should be the priority instead of having whats new, I rather be able to sleep peaceful at night knowing my bills are secure, instead of slowly seeing the end come from afar.

Not to be a jerk, but you are contradicting yourself a bit. Your talking about sound financial decisions and your the one that has a diminishing asset just collecting dust in the garage while you pay a note on it each month and your talking about going FI. And to top it all off you purchase another diminishing asset so you don't have to use the other one that's already in the garage. Whats next a Huffy to keep miles off the Neon?

If your happy and you can swing what your doing, that great and I'm happy for you. But realize, the Z is just a car. Its not exotic and its not really that special. So I say take great care of it and drive/enjoy it as much as you can.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
colin8868

I agree with what you are saying. You bought a nice toy, then use it and enjoy it. But on the other side of the token this is the thought process that got the economy in the shape it is now. "Forget taking care of the nice things you have and let them last, just keep buying and selling and losing thousand and thousand at a time". Just because you can "afford" it, does not make it a wise decision. I think financial security should be the priority instead of having whats new, I rather be able to sleep peaceful at night knowing my bills are secure, instead of slowly seeing the end come from afar.
what did my statement have to do with financial security? this is what I said...

Originally Posted by colin8868
I don't believe in that, I buy my toys to use them, when they get worn down, you get a new one, if you can afford to do that of course
and if you are to worried about driving your car that you bought because it costs money for tires, repairs, oil changes, and overall your scared the value will depreciate faster if you drive it more, then I think you shouldn't own the car, what's the point in buying a car and having it sit in your garage and every time you want to drive it you have to think about money your going to be loosing. That's what happens when you buy a car! if you don't like it then suffer in your 2003 neon when you have a beautiful Z at home.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM
n8dog11914

With my job mon-fri having a long commute that eats up alot of my time. All I have is the weekend in between plans the wifey has set up for us.

How do I go autocross? Do I have to be part of an organization? Have a special liscence? Annual fees? Closest track to me is PBIR.

Autocross is awesome man! You really need to get involved! I did my first one last week at an SCCA event in Mississippi. You don't have to be a member to drive at the event, but you do have to purchase a weekend membership for $15. For $15 plus the actual event fee of $25 it was the best fourty bucks I've spent in quite awhile. It's really easy and the people are really cool depending upon location of course. And remember autocross is mostly about the driver so don't think that $10,000 worth of upgrades is going to make you a better driver. Go out there and do it, you won't regret it and will have lots of fun and meet lots of people willing to help you out in contrast to the boards here where people constantly get put down.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's tough to see the Z losing so much value since I bought it back in 2006.

If you can keep the miles down and keep the Z for several years once the title is in your hands I say you're winning.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Waizzz
It's tough to see the Z losing so much value since I bought it back in 2006.

If you can keep the miles down and keep the Z for several years once the title is in your hands I say you're winning.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

^Speaking of the devil!!

How many miles are on your Z?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Ruthless18x

34 something. I actually pulled it out of the garage today lol
Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

^Bastard!!

:-)
Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM
davabran

I drive a total of 90 miles a day for work. I take the z at least one day a week just so I an drive it. It'll get some dirty sure but most of the time a carwash will take care of that. I'd like to think that the next person who owns the car won't give a crap and will drive it down stone roads and ruin it anyway. So just enjoy it and don't let it be a garage queen.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:42 PM
WhiteNoiz

hmmm...

reminds me of the old lady and the dress story...

She never wears the dress, and only wants to use it for something verrrry special...

Her funeral
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
colin8868

Originally Posted by davabran
I drive a total of 90 miles a day for work. I take the z at least one day a week just so I an drive it. It'll get some dirty sure but most of the time a carwash will take care of that. I'd like to think that the next person who owns the car won't give a crap and will drive it down stone roads and ruin it anyway. So just enjoy it and don't let it be a garage queen.
You obviously don't give a crap if your taking it through car washes...
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 AM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what you are saying. However, I just look at the dollars and cents a bit too much I guess.

I was using the Z as my DD when I lived 5 miles from work. Then I bought a condo for dirt cheap 40miles from work and that commute got old real quick. Tires, premium gas, excessive wear on interior, paint, 20+k miles a year, etc. Now an 07 with 45k miles.

I then bought a CLEAN 2003 dodge neon with 17k miles on it as a commuter and keep the wear off the Z. Original plan was to pay off the Z and keep it on the side as a toy and eventually go TT. The Neon is awesome as a commuter and all is going as plan, but I am just having a difficult time pulling the trigger on TT with how volatile and uncertain the economic future is. Would be crazy to drop $15k on it right now. Just figured I would enjoy it with the full bolt-ons, but now I realize I barely get to enjoy it at all.
I had a 85 Camry for a DD, Before that a 9in lifted 4Runner on 35s and prior to that a 84 sentra. God did I appreciate and fall in love with the Z every time I looked at it, let alone drive it. It was just that much more special. I used to DD the Z when I first had it (first 3 months) it was great and I knew the car so very well (handling etc) but it became the standard, I was accustomed to it. Grew boring (as I always want more. Dont you?) A DD is a great choice. Now how much you paid for yours??? I dont know, but my reasoning for a DD is to be cheap. (BTW I lived in Hawaii with all these cars, so no worry about them falling apart like here in Ohio with the road salt). Just keep your baby clean and enjoy her when you can. Which gets me to my next point.

With my job mon-fri having a long commute that eats up alot of my time. All I have is the weekend in between plans the wifey has set up for us.

How do I go autocross? Do I have to be part of an organization? Have a special license? Annual fees? Closest track to me is PBIR.
Do you see that word highlighted in red? That is your problem right there. I think I know who wears the pants and who wears the panties. j/k. Seriously though, make some plans yourself either for just you or for both of you and use your car. Its always fun to take it out. If you dont have children then its easier and a no brain er. Take the Z once in a while.

And yes it is a $100,000 sports car "In my mind".
hey its all we can afford, enjoy what you've got. Just because it does not cost a lot does not mean you should not take care of it. Respect and responsibility. if you were "Rich" or the people on the board here, they would say "Nah, take out your ZR1 Vette, its not like its a Bugatti or anything." Or higher up on the ladder they would say "Nah take out the Bugatti, its not like its your Yacht or anything". All subject to interpretation and personal views.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:36 AM
PikeZ_350

1. Sell neon
2. TT
3. DRIVE YOUR Z!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 AM
WhiteNoiz

I get the whole wanting to keep the Z as long as possible, and not wanting to tear it up, but I look at it like this...

In retrospect I dont want to remember all of those times I could have had with the Z, but instead had those experiences in a Neon

A large chunk of my life...in a neon... Z sitting at home...

Seriously, thats a sad thought.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 AM
joliuxsi

For 3 years, I been commuting 35 miles to work. I racked up so many miles in my previous GTI that I decided to let it go. Now, I take metrorail which reduces the mileage alot on my car. The biggest gripe with the driving commute is now with the Tysons traffic in VA and construction, its literally a guaranteed stop and go traffic jam for 35 miles. If I'm going to have a long commute, I atleast want to enjoy it at freeway speeds, not racking up miles while averaging 2 mph the whole way
Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Ruthless18x

I couldn't imagine commuting in my Z. It is a very uncomfortable car especially with racing seats and an aftermarket steering wheel. Even when it was stock it was a pain in the *** to drive in traffic. There is nothing wrong with a commuter car in addition.

Plus I'd rather commute in a rimmed up luxury truck with a killers system anyway.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 AM
PikeZ_350

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
I couldn't imagine commuting in my Z. It is a very uncomfortable car especially with racing seats and an aftermarket steering wheel. Even when it was stock it was a pain in the *** to drive in traffic. There is nothing wrong with a commuter car in addition.

Plus I'd rather commute in a rimmed up luxury truck with a killers system anyway.
I feel like my Z is pretty comfortable...I'm about 6'1" 185lbs and I drive 35+minutes and 35+minutes from work every day. Although I am looking for a cheap civic/integra to DD...I'm at 94k on my Z

Quick Reply: I just need more Z time!