Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy to buy a 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 09:04 PM
DB19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy to buy a 350Z?

Hey, this my first post, not a Z owner yet.

I wanted some input. I'm thinking about getting a 350Z and live in Wisconsin, where we have a decent amount of snow. Now, I've read all the posts about how the its not good in snow and that snow tires make it slightly better. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Now comes the bad part. I want to get a stick shift and have only driven stick 2-3 times before. How long do you think it will take for me to get good enough at it that I can drive in snow reasonable well. I plan on practicing a lot.

I can't wait until spring cause my lease on my current car runs out in January.

What do you guys think? Will this be managable or will I be in over my head?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:34 PM
acmw

Practice on driving stick first then when u have learned it and you feel comfortable driving one go buy a 6mt Z
Old 11-10-2003, 09:51 PM
luke350z

Hi, I bought my Z last November. I drove it through the winter. It sucked only during or right after the snow. This is my first manual car. I learned the basics really fast (about 200 miles) and it took a couple thousand to be really good in it.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:05 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, it wont be pretty on the car, but worst thing is you replace the clutch a bit early. better if you learn the basics on someone elses car. but everyones gotta learn eventually... the beater stickshift civic isnt in everyone driveway.

drive around for a few hours in a parking lot and youll be good, shifting is simple(just concentrate and make note to hold the clutch longer than needed to be sure you dont grind by accident.) but in general its a simple process. starting is hard. just start stop start stop till your good.

after that when your on a hill hold up the ebrake(keep the button pushed you dont want it to lock, just as a hand brake) and give it gas and let the clutch out till it starts to grab, at that point let off the brake and more gas less clutch, off you go with minimal roll. this is the cheater method untill you get fast enough that you get rolling without stalling or rolling back too much.

I know I, and I bet others, still use this method when some soccer mom pulls | | that far from your bumper.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Spyre

get one with traction control and VDC and that should help. But definitly get a stick or you'll just regret it later on. Learning comes fast, espically if you take the time to read about manual trannys/clutches and how they operate and interact with the motor. Just understanding what's going on will help instantly with how you learn as you'll understand why you need to give it more gas or less clutch or whathaveyou.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:05 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I'd say the biggest winter weakness the Z has over other RWD cars is tires. Pick up a set of used 17" wheels on the board here cheap, then get some good snow tires. It would probably do OK. The stock RE040s just are horrible in the slick.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Jspec350z

1st off the Z is great in the snow with a set of winter tires. Also the Z is an easy stick to drive. Don't let it scare you it will be frusturating at 1st but you will get it in a hurry. Just keep off step hills until you get your "sealegs".
Old 11-11-2003, 06:14 AM
hansel

Originally posted by Jspec350z
1st off the Z is great in the snow with a set of winter tires. Also the Z is an easy stick to drive. Don't let it scare you it will be frusturating at 1st but you will get it in a hurry. Just keep off step hills until you get your "sealegs".
How is the driving experience with the Z with snow tires in the snow as compared to a Honda Civic?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:47 AM
marhot

Default My .02

I haven’t driven in snow (and I don’t plan to), but I have driven in the rain. That’s bad enough for me.

My advice is to get a beater. IMO it is better than a set of snow tires. Even with snow tires you are going to get spin with all the torque this car has. Especially if you are new to driving manual.

If there is anyway possible, my advice, is not to drive it in bad (snow) weather. Yes, snow tires will help but there are too many morons out there who don’t know how to drive on snow and WILL hit YOU. (as posted before, the Z is a moron magnet)

Also, I do not want any of the road crud (salt, chemicals, etc) on my Z. As good as you wash it there will always be some spot on the undercarriage you can’t get

Good luck.

PS hansel my “beater” is a ’92 Civic Si. I haven’t driven the Z in the snow, but I have driven both in rain. There is NO comparison; I’d take my Si any day in bad weather!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:54 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can walk & chew gum at the same time you can drive a stick.

Goooooooooooooo for it!
Old 11-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Beamm

No reason not to...just practice driving stick first then go out. In MN they salt the living he** out of the roads and, while I've never driven the Z up there in the winter, my neighbor with the MB SLK has no problem, nor does the neighbor with the M3. You can handle it just practice first with the stick, and then wait for the first new snowfall. Go to the local parking lot and relearn how to drive that car all over again in the snow...test the limits of the car (make sure the place is deserted first) and then you'll know how the car performs in the snow before you have to go out in it for real. That's how I learned how to drive in the snow and I've never had an incident. Also, look on cars.com for the Click and Clack method (Car Talk guys) to learning how to drive stick...I've used that method to teach 3 of my friends very successfully.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:16 PM
hansel

Thanks for the advice Beamm! Marhot, I don't have the funds to afford myself a beater car if I decide to go with the Z. I'll have to make due with driving it in the winter
Old 11-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Jspec350z

Anyone who says get a beater is nuts!! Winter tires are just fine. It is a read drive sports car!! No worse in the winter then any other rear drive car. Traction control helps as does common sense. The stock tires are the real problem they are not snow rated. If you just get a set of all season tires you will be fine!!! I am sure the dealer will even work it into the payments. My Z with my winter tires is as good as any front drive out there. The only enemy I have in winter is deep snow!! My cars snow plow (front air dam) don't like it!!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
DB19

Luckily not many steep hills around here. Thanks for all the advice. I've driven rear wheel drive in the snow before, but it was an automatic '86 Chevy Caprice which has a lot more weight for the power. Still, it can't be that much worse in the Z. I'm gonna make a decision after a test drive in the next couple of weeks.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:34 PM
archman350z

Yup, a good set of snow tires is all you need. I would put a Z w/ Blizzaks up against ANY FWD in the snow. I also firmly believe that manuals are better in the slop than autos. You have so much more control over the power delivery. Back in the day, my brother and I used to crawl through slop with our S10 Blazers in 2WD that the F250s had to use 4WD in (man, those guys used to get pissed!). It was due to an intimate knowledge of the "friction point" in the clutch...if the tires started to slip, you could let just a little pressure off the clutch to stop the spin but still keep the RPMs up.

Hill starts are no problem once you master the "friction point." I've never had my car roll back on any sized hill. My secret is to begin letting the clutch out while you're still at idle. When you see the RPMs dip about 200 or so, quickly move your right foot from the brake to the gas. There will be enough friction built up to keep the car from going backward, but you have to be quick with the gas or it will stall. I seem to get my smoothest starts by revving slightly between 1500 and 2000RPM while I gradually let the clutch all the way out.

JSPEC, he probably won't have to worry about plowing snow...that seems to only be a MI thing. Wisconsin actually plows their roads. Man, I miss those roads...all smooth and curvy, no dirt...<sigh>

Last edited by archman350z; 11-11-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:09 PM
samw1978

Driving a stick isn't that hard, it'll only take you few hours driving around, just stay away from steep hills at first, then you'll be ok

As for the snow, I'll suggest the same thing, get a beater if possible
Old 11-11-2003, 05:34 PM
marhot

Default Fine...

Originally posted by Jspec350z
Anyone who says get a beater is nuts!! Winter tires are just fine. ..
Right, having snow tires just solves half of the problem.

The other thing you have to worry about are the soccer moms in their SUVs sliding into your Z. As posted on other threads it seems the Z is a moron magnet, even in good weather.

Thanks for your advice, but my Z will stay parked in my warm garage on snowy days.

Good luck out there!
Old 11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Beamm

Originally posted by archman350z
Yup, a good set of snow tires is all you need. I would put a Z w/ Blizzaks up against ANY FWD in the snow. I also firmly believe that manuals are better in the slop than autos. You have so much more control over the power delivery. Back in the day, my brother and I used to crawl through slop with our S10 Blazers in 2WD that the F250s had to use 4WD in (man, those guys used to get pissed!). It was due to an intimate knowledge of the "friction point" in the clutch...if the tires started to slip, you could let just a little pressure off the clutch to stop the spin but still keep the RPMs up.

Hill starts are no problem once you master the "friction point." I've never had my car roll back on any sized hill. My secret is to begin letting the clutch out while you're still at idle. When you see the RPMs dip about 200 or so, quickly move your right foot from the brake to the gas. There will be enough friction built up to keep the car from going backward, but you have to be quick with the gas or it will stall. I seem to get my smoothest starts by revving slightly between 1500 and 2000RPM while I gradually let the clutch all the way out.
So true...I was at home on x-mas break last year driving my mom's SAAB 95. Should be a great snow car right? Heck now...auto tranny meant that going down a hill where I could normally engine break and work the engine and clutch turned into a ski jump that almost threw me through a 4 way stop.

I would have no issues with driving my Z in snow. I don't mind driving in the rains down here in South FL at all. Just let the clutch out slow...ride the friction point a little (I can actually hold my car at a standstill on a hill with just the clutch....just like you indicated) and you're in better control than most people out there with an auto tranny IMO.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:19 PM
srmd22

Hmm, I agree, the Z is fine in the snow, with appropriate tires...but better then a front wheel? No way, that's just silly. It doesn't matter though, you just drive carefully, stick, automatic, doesn't make any difference... I drove all manner of cars through snow in upstate NY, in the mountains, for half my life. Had a subaru 4wd loyale for about 10y and I would drive right by 'vette's and other rwd sports cars stuck in snowbanks all the time... and had a front wd ford tempo for awhile-- same thing. My rwd volvo (actually parent's) was probably better then most rwds in the snow, but still no comparison to front or 4wd's. You really, really don't wanna be driving a rwd sports car on windy mountain roads with ice and snow, it just sucks; it's downright scary. Just don't do it, you'll either get stranded or crash.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:36 AM
hansel

So the moral of the story is...

A Z is good to drive in the winter with the right set of snow tires and careful driving?

Then count me in... I'm getting a Z!

Quick Reply: Crazy to buy a 350Z?