Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Amazing 350Z comparisons brochure

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 03:11 PM
wickerbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man some of you guys can be real ********. I am so glad the Z owners I met the other night here in Austin weren't so blind and ignorant as you all appear to be. I am interested in the Z because I am a car enthusiast. Thanks for making me feel so welcome on your board.

The 350 Z is not the greatest car ever made and neither is the S2000. Most of the people who like to bag on the S2000's torque have never driven one and are just looking at a number in a magazine. There's a whole lot more to a car than one statistic. Grow up.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:27 PM
The Unabageler

you want to talk about more torque, let's talk.

Tuesday, I'm taking my last session of the day at thunderhill and start thinking about my cooldown laps when up ahead I see a blue acura. "WTF is that and why is it moving so fast?" I was getting tired, but decided I better catch up and see what it is. Three laps later I catch up to a 3.2CL type-S in a corner, only to see him fly away on the next straight, and then I rode his *** on every subsequent corner. Next time to the front straight he gave me a pointby but the checkered flag was out. Turns out that was Richard Foo driving who races a Mazda Protege in the speedvision speed touring series. The CL-S was supercharged and had a comptech suspension, I'm NA and have dead 60kmile old shocks that leave me bouncing all over the place.

stats:
s2000: 2800lbs,200rwhp,137rwft-lbs. (last dyno pull)
14lbs/hp,20.4lbs/torque (units are nasty for that )

supercharged 3.2CL-S: 3509lbs,320rwhp, est. 280ft-lbs. (based on peak hp of 6000)
10lbs/hp,12.5lbs/torque.

so, it had more hp,more torque AND more torque per unit weight that I have...how the hell did I manage to catch that car?!?!? It even had a real driver in there, vs. me, a track veteran of 18 MONTHS...wtf?!?!? Maybe torque isn't king of the road

stats for the 350Z:
3200lbs, 240rwhp,238rwft-lbs.
13.3lbs/hp,13.4lbs/torque.

If that were a 350Z instead of the CL I would've caught up and passed even faster! No way I could've won a drag race, but there's more to straight line speed when you're on a road course. So thanks for not giving me sympathy, I don't need it one bit.

But I'm not here to rag on the Z, I'm here because I like the car for reasons different than my own. Pissing contests are so dull....
Old 09-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Chris S

Originally posted by NissaNZ
Wow, there are more and more honda fan boys coming here trying to justify their lawnmowers, GET REAL.
What's to justify? I don't see hordes of S2000 owners dumping their cars for 350Z's. I'm not here to justify or defend my car, just to learn more about the Z and meet some new Austin owners to join us as fellow sportscar enthusiasts (not S2000 or 350Z bigots).

Too bad all cars' fanatics have some ******** among them.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:46 PM
leadfoot

I'm not an a-hole but I did visit s2k and read the dreaded sales staff only comparison thread and the S2000 guys were laying it on thick. I have driven an S2000 and I certainly see that it would be fun, but it was not very comfortable, the seat was really hard and I had to really hammer it to keep it going. Its very minimalistic which is great for some but not me. It would be great to drive on a track but for everyday it would wear me out. that is not saying that it is bad but it is most certainly a niche car and the Z is a little more useful to the masses.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Chris S

Originally posted by leadfoot
I'm not an a-hole but I did visit s2k and read the dreaded sales staff only comparison thread and the S2000 guys were laying it on thick. I have driven an S2000 and I certainly see that it would be fun, but it was not very comfortable, the seat was really hard and I had to really hammer it to keep it going. Its very minimalistic which is great for some but not me. It would be great to drive on a track but for everyday it would wear me out. that is not saying that it is bad but it is most certainly a niche car and the Z is a little more useful to the masses.
Well said, I can't argue w/ your assessment. For a daily driver, I'd pick the Z over the S...but thankfully the Tundra makes a pretty comfortable daily driver.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:03 PM
SilverStreak

The largest enemy to handling and speed is weight. Ask any professional racer and they will tell you that. Most of you guys don't understand this concept since your not true enthusiasts. The segmentation of buyers for the S2000 and 350Z are totally different in the performance car niche.

S2000 owners = die hard enthusiast
3350Z = Mass Produced performance car owner.

The spirit of a true enthusiast is what the S2000 was aimed at and it hit its mark. Conversely 350Z was aimed at the masses who wanted big power and good hanling coupe for a good value and that hit its mark.

I'll leave it at that since getting into a pissing match with more experience pissers isn't my gig.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:48 PM
NissaNZ

Originally posted by The Unabageler
you want to talk about more torque, let's talk.

Tuesday, I'm taking my last session of the day at thunderhill and start thinking about my cooldown laps when up ahead I see a blue acura. "WTF is that and why is it moving so fast?" I was getting tired, but decided I better catch up and see what it is. Three laps later I catch up to a 3.2CL type-S in a corner, only to see him fly away on the next straight, and then I rode his *** on every subsequent corner. Next time to the front straight he gave me a pointby but the checkered flag was out. Turns out that was Richard Foo driving who races a Mazda Protege in the speedvision speed touring series. The CL-S was supercharged and had a comptech suspension, I'm NA and have dead 60kmile old shocks that leave me bouncing all over the place.

stats:
s2000: 2800lbs,200rwhp,137rwft-lbs. (last dyno pull)
14lbs/hp,20.4lbs/torque (units are nasty for that )

supercharged 3.2CL-S: 3509lbs,320rwhp, est. 280ft-lbs. (based on peak hp of 6000)
10lbs/hp,12.5lbs/torque.

so, it had more hp,more torque AND more torque per unit weight that I have...how the hell did I manage to catch that car?!?!? It even had a real driver in there, vs. me, a track veteran of 18 MONTHS...wtf?!?!? Maybe torque isn't king of the road

stats for the 350Z:
3200lbs, 240rwhp,238rwft-lbs.
13.3lbs/hp,13.4lbs/torque.

If that were a 350Z instead of the CL I would've caught up and passed even faster! No way I could've won a drag race, but there's more to straight line speed when you're on a road course. So thanks for not giving me sympathy, I don't need it one bit.

But I'm not here to rag on the Z, I'm here because I like the car for reasons different than my own. Pissing contests are so dull....
WOW, you caught up to an acura, that's like a lawnmower catching up to another lawnmower. Honda fan boys are all talk untill they get their asses handed to them. Now go back and talk about your gruntless s2000's on the lawnmower forums.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:58 PM
airgate

Originally posted by NissaNZ

WOW, you caught up to an acura, that's like a lawnmower catching up to another lawnmower. Honda fan boys are all talk untill they get their asses handed to them. Now go back and talk about your gruntless s2000's on the lawnmower forums.
Were you not loved as a child?
Old 09-05-2002, 09:00 PM
max2000jp

Whats with all these S2k vs 350Z comparisons. The Zs have been out a short time, so I doubt many have been to the track. Time will tell which car is faster on a road course. I bet it will be a drivers race either way. And why is everyone ragging on the Z saying its so heavy. It weighs about the same as a Z06, which is far superior to a S2k on a roadcourse, but no one mentions that. If the suspension is setup properly in a production car, weight really doesnt make that big of a difference.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:04 PM
airgate

Originally posted by max2000jp
It weighs about the same as a Z06, which is far superior to a S2k on a roadcourse, but no one mentions that.
I have seen an S2000 put a Z06 to shame on the roadtrack. Of course, much of that was the driver, I'm sure. It always comes down to the driver.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:07 PM
max2000jp

Originally posted by SilverStreak
The largest enemy to handling and speed is weight. Ask any professional racer and they will tell you that. Most of you guys don't understand this concept since your not true enthusiasts. The segmentation of buyers for the S2000 and 350Z are totally different in the performance car niche.

S2000 owners = die hard enthusiast
3350Z = Mass Produced performance car owner.

The spirit of a true enthusiast is what the S2000 was aimed at and it hit its mark. Conversely 350Z was aimed at the masses who wanted big power and good hanling coupe for a good value and that hit its mark.

I'll leave it at that since getting into a pissing match with more experience pissers isn't my gig.
You made my day with this post. S2000 owners being die hard enthusiasts and 350z owners arent. So by your logic.....the Miata weighs less than a S2k so it must be the "Ultimate enthusiast car" or how about the Elise??? Yes weight does effect perfomance, but you dont always need a lightweight car to be a great handler.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:11 PM
max2000jp

Originally posted by airgate

I have seen an S2000 put a Z06 to shame on the roadtrack. Of course, much of that was the driver, I'm sure. It always comes down to the driver.
No way a S2k is going to take out a properly driven Z06. I think a fully modded S2k would have a hard time. My friends Z06 took out a 996 Turbo driven by a veteran driver at Gingerman. A lot of people dont realize how great of a track car the Z06 is.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:16 PM
SilverStreak

Whats with all these S2k vs 350Z comparisons. The Zs have been out a short time, so I doubt many have been to the track. Time will tell which car is faster on a road course. I bet it will be a drivers race either way. And why is everyone ragging on the Z saying its so heavy. It weighs about the same as a Z06, which is far superior to a S2k on a roadcourse, but no one mentions that. If the suspension is setup properly in a production car, weight really doesnt make that big of a difference.
Hmm, the Z06 just has a 405 hp 5.7 L V8 to overcome the weight, nice comparison though.

The issue of weight wan't my point for defining the segment base for both cars, I should have clarified.

It takes an enthusiast to appreciate the easy flickering nature of the S, the 9K+ redline, the simplistic interior, the harsh stiff ride, the sound of the road and engine, the wind in your hair. The average Z owner isn't after the above mentioned attributes so hence they choose the Z.

us calling your car a fat girl is like you guys calling ours a lawnmower, so we are even

Last edited by SilverStreak; 09-05-2002 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:19 PM
nizl

It takes an enthusiast to appreciate the easy flickering nature of the S, the 9K+ redline, the simplistic interior, the harsh stiff ride, the sound of the road and engine, the wind in your hair. The average Z owner isn't after the above mentioned attribute so hence they choose the Z.
Oh jeez, this is getting ridiculously arrogant and juvenile, all at the same time.

IT'S A CAR.

Could you S2000 guys just shut up and go back to your stook forums, where you can bash the Z in peace?

Thank you.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:20 PM
max2000jp

Hmm, the Z06 just has a 405 hp 5.7 L V8 to overcome the weight, nice comparison though.

The issue of weight wan't my point for defining the segment base for both cars, I should have clarified.

It takes an enthusiast to appreciate the easy flickering nature of the S, the 9K+ redline, the simplistic interior, the harsh stiff ride, the sound of the road and engine, the wind in your hair. The average Z owner isn't after the above mentioned attribute so hence they choose the Z.
I am not an enthusiast. You got me there!! I should go buy an S2k, so I can show everyone how much of an enthusiast I am. Your logic is terrible. Next you will be comparing your Stook to an F1 race car.

BTW....The Z has a harsh ride, simple interior, nice exhaust note, and i can open the windows to feel the wind. You dont need a 9K RPM redline when you have a thing called torque.

Last edited by max2000jp; 09-05-2002 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:41 PM
SilverStreak

I am not an enthusiast. You got me there!! I should go buy an S2k, so I can show everyone how much of an enthusiast I am. Your logic is terrible. Next you will be comparing your Stook to an F1 race car.

BTW....The Z has a harsh ride, simple interior, nice exhaust note, and i can open the windows to feel the wind. You dont need a 9K RPM redline when you have a thing called torque.
just a FYI:

Who do you think designed the S2000, hmm none other than the lead engineers from the Senna & Prost era Honda F1 cars that is who. So there is the heritage and the philosophy behind the S

The two cars have different philosophies behind them, and the person who owns the particular car just adheres more to one philosophy over the other.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:41 PM
Chris S

Damn, this is getting ridiculous. Many of us S2000 owners are here b/c we're genuinely interested in the Z...Z owners s/b flatterred!

- As for which one is faster on a road course, drag strip, etc....I doubt many of us will be racing these cars professionally, so who cares which is faster? While not mutually exclusive, fun factor is more important that absolute speed! I'm glad the S2000 has some strong new competition, as it keeps things more interesting.

- The Z06 is materially lighter than the 350Z...~3100 lbs., plus it has much wider, stickier tires, a lower CG, and a wider track. Like it or not, it's bang for buck is off the charts.

- As for the immature Honda lawnmower comment, I'd love to show you my other Honda's taillights rapidly disappearing over the horizon.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chris_soi...iew=t&.hires=t
Old 09-05-2002, 10:15 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LawnBoy will Smoke any and all S2K's

My Mustang is better than your Camero..

My Dodge Van is better than your Chevy...

This immature BS is getting old............

Looking foward to the Z's torque, but if my dealer plays games, an S2K Might be in my future.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:28 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is pretty funny that all the S2000 guys are all mad,

I know many people including myself that are comparing the S2K to the Z (people say you don't compare a cab to a coupe-whatever).

Also, I have family that owns Nissan and Acura/honda dealers, Acura just did a similar thing when comparing the RSX and RSX-Type S to the VW GTI AND GTI 337. when they compare the 337, they ACTUALLY show the BASE GTI (sneaky), also they NEVER highlight what the GTI wins in certain catagories (Torque, et al) yet they do when they win, they do the same thing when comparing the BASE RSX to the Mini cooper S, they highlight that the RSX has a 2L vs the 1.6 in the cooper, BUT no highlight for the cooper getting 163 HP vs 160 or Torque figures as well. Someone needs to go and post this on that Honda board (I am not going to register just to do it).

The info is in the Acura Frontline June 2002 Vol3 Issue 6
Old 09-05-2002, 10:33 PM
SilverStreak

Originally posted by rodH
that is pretty funny that all the S2000 guys are all mad,

I know many people including myself that are comparing the S2K to the Z (people say you don't compare a cab to a coupe-whatever).

Also, I have family that owns Nissan and Acura/honda dealers, Acura just did a similar thing when comparing the RSX and RSX-Type S to the VW GTI AND GTI 337. when they compare the 337, they ACTUALLY show the BASE GTI (sneaky), also they NEVER highlight what the GTI wins in certain catagories (Torque, et al) yet they do when they win, they do the same thing when comparing the BASE RSX to the Mini cooper S, they highlight that the RSX has a 2L vs the 1.6 in the cooper, BUT no highlight for the cooper getting 163 HP vs 160 or Torque figures as well. Someone needs to go and post this on that Honda board (I am not going to register just to do it).

The info is in the Acura Frontline June 2002 Vol3 Issue 6
Omission of info is different than blatent mistakes and erros. Everyone will leave out info that doesn't support what they are trying to get accross in a comparison, that is fine. However, printing or saying errors, like the S have an auto tranny, timing belt, etc is rediculous.

Last edited by SilverStreak; 09-05-2002 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Amazing 350Z comparisons brochure