Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

just took my Z off the road for winter

Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember those days owning two cars because i had to. One for winter and one for summer, spring, and fall. Back in Mass if you had a nice ride you did not drive it in the winter. The rock salt will destroy it in no time flat. 5 years and then you will have rust of some type developing some where. Here in vegas i own two vehicle but not because i have to just because i want to.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tent for my Z with a remote start. I put a Y hose on my exhaust so i can start it for a lil anytime. Keeps her nice and dry all year round. On good days winter or not i take her out and beat her up when i can. (no snow) I never let her sit 6 months straight. Worst thing you can do for the car. I suggest if you do let her sit that long to drain the coolant. It is corrosive. Letting it sit for so long will create problems down the line.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 AM
tiffuhhkneex0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well why so soon? is because most policies around here are 6 months so im not paying 350 a month insurance for a car to sit most of it, my policy was up so i took it off the road for the next 6 months while i drive my jeep. and yes i could drive it all year round if i wanted to but honestly besides the snow and ice, its also the amount of salt and sand they put on these roads, my Z is in very good condition and i would like to keep it that way, the owner who had it before me didn't drive it in the winter eigther.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Damn your putting your car in storage already... I'm still a month away and I'm from the Great White North... Lol.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Dr. Venture

^ lol right.....Nj is having amazing cool weather today. I drove her into work.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
because we got so much snow on Long Island between September and December
haha , my z is lowered and i ride on toyo proxes.... live in queens NY... the z is my winter car!!! i drive it when i can no longer ride my CBR ahahah you guys need to grow a pair... new york barely gets any snow and if it does its liek 2 inches....
Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dblock55
haha , my z is lowered and i ride on toyo proxes.... live in queens NY... the z is my winter car!!! i drive it when i can no longer ride my CBR ahahah you guys need to grow a pair... new york barely gets any snow and if it does its liek 2 inches....
+2 im with you man... Also even when it does snow within a day or 2 the streets are clean to drive on.. I drive on Summer tires all year round as well on my cars.. A little Common Sense and your good to go..
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM
tiffuhhkneex0

well i like my z looking the way it does, and the salt messes things up and only 2 inches? haa we got A LOT more than that last winter. and we probably will this year too, like i said its not about me driving it on snow its about keeping my Z looking new like it does. I like to take my jeep on the beach in the summer plus i surf and im not putting my board on top of a Z so having a jeep i mine as well use it AND it keeps my miles nice and low on the Z i have an 03' with only 34,000 miles on it partially because its never driven in the winter.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 AM
tiffuhhkneex0

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
I have a tent for my Z with a remote start. I put a Y hose on my exhaust so i can start it for a lil anytime. Keeps her nice and dry all year round. On good days winter or not i take her out and beat her up when i can. (no snow) I never let her sit 6 months straight. Worst thing you can do for the car. I suggest if you do let her sit that long to drain the coolant. It is corrosive. Letting it sit for so long will create problems down the line.
thanks for the advice
Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Dr. Venture

No problem. I actually took the Z to work today. Polished her up and she' s looking shiny as ever. NJ today is having slamming weather.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tiffuhhkneex0
well i like my z looking the way it does, and the salt messes things up and only 2 inches? haa we got A LOT more than that last winter. and we probably will this year too, like i said its not about me driving it on snow its about keeping my Z looking new like it does. I like to take my jeep on the beach in the summer plus i surf and im not putting my board on top of a Z so having a jeep i mine as well use it AND it keeps my miles nice and low on the Z i have an 03' with only 34,000 miles on it partially because its never driven in the winter.
I hear what your saying and can see your point.. Its alot more than 2 inches trust me like 10 -12 inches at a time last year. Luckily for living in NY they clean the roads with the quickness so its not an issue.
Me personally I buy my car to drive all year round regardless winter & whatever other elements.. I street park my car and i'll be honest with you my car is flawless condition facing all the elements.
I had another car an IS300 Beater but got rid off that 2 years back. Man I miss that car
Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

little bit early to pack her up but hey it's your ride. i'm gonna take mine out after work. it's like 70 something degrees today
Old 10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
LollerShakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
little bit early to pack her up but hey it's your ride. i'm gonna take mine out after work. it's like 70 something degrees today
My last day of driving is probably November 6th. My birthday is the 5th and i want to take her out for one last ride, then shes put away all winter. Ill drive in the mud with my truck not nearly as fun as the Z but, I must say, I can already look forward to the winter project. Stroker Kit
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Dr. Venture

i'll be putting on my MR PLOW jacket.

but when its cold as hell, but no snow and roads are still nice i drive my z when i can. Benefits of having a nice tent.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM
FineWine

I did this November of 2009.

It hasn't been back out since
Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
walshtj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could baby my g like that!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by FineWine
I did this November of 2009.

It hasn't been back out since
wait what? since 09? jesus.......
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
tiffuhhkneex0

the only reason i took her off the road so early is because my policy was up, I wasnt gunna start a new one because i pay a lot of money for insurance so i turned in the plates
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Drive it year-around

I would like to play the Devil’s Advocate here and present a different position on the argument.

I own two cars, a 350z and a Jeep Commander. My Jeep is loaded, new, and more valuable than my 2003 350z. So that makes the Z the lesser car (value wise), and maybe my “winter beater?”

I prefer driving the Z for its “fun to drive advantage.” I did not drive my 2003 Z for the first two winters of ownership; but during the last five winters, the Z has been my DD year around (spring, summer, fall, and winter).

For winter driving, I swap my summer performance tires with a dedicated wheel/tire setup that is 17” wheels with studless snow tires. I’ve never had a problem with studless snow tires driving in snow and on ice.

After seven years (and 5 years of year-around use), my 2003 Z looks new and has no rust or corrosion. I am in Minnesota where the DOT uses lots of salt and chemicals. I’m impressed with how well Nissan’s Z car holds-up in adverse conditions. The paint looks new (and it’s a Redline).

--Spike
Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 AM
tiffuhhkneex0

wow, well thats really good that it still looks new, but my jeep is a 97 CHEROKEE SPORT lol so its deff worth less than my Z. I mean my jeep is nice, its flat black with a 6" lift, 33" tires and whatnot but its still nowhere near my Zs value.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just took my Z off the road for winter