Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

rock/paint chip on my z..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002 | 09:24 AM
jastiz

Unhappy rock/paint chip on my z..

A 1/2 cu-in rock flew from a truck that I was passing on the freeway and gave my Z a paintChip on the hood and a rockChip
on the windshield.. :-(

Can any body advise on how I should fix/get it fixed ?

Thanks for the help
jastiz
Old 09-04-2002 | 09:28 AM
jgrier

Wish I had a paint chip and a rock off the windshield, cuz then I would HAVE MY DAMN Z! There are companies that will come to where you work and fix your windshield for 30 bucks. They squirt something in the crack and you won't be able to tell it was ever there when they leave. Did the paint chip go down to the primer?
Attached Thumbnails rock/paint chip on my z..-bill_z.jpg  
Old 09-04-2002 | 09:38 AM
jastiz

The paint chip went down to the primer..

Does any body know of any products that a person with no
body experience can use to fix the paint chips?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2002 | 10:43 AM
morganjd

jgrier,

can you put that picture in your signature instead of attaching it every time you post? I can't tell you how many times I open a thread looking for Z pictures just to find your 'Bill the cat' image. It's pretty funny, just disappointing when looking for new Z images to feed my habit.
Old 09-04-2002 | 10:58 AM
VaGentleman

You might also want to investigate this which is found at Section 1, page 12 of the owner's manual (column 3, 2nd full paragraph):

"A cracked windshield should be replaced immediately by a qualified repair facility. A cracked windshield could affect inflation of the supplemental air bag system".
Old 09-04-2002 | 11:21 AM
Michael-Dallas

Try using a paint pen from http://www.autovisuals.com ; I understand that Courtesy is also selling OEM paint pens as well.

Another alternative would be http://www.langka.com . I think some of the guys from the NSX board has tried this. Some have had much luck and others don't. I guess it's not as easy as the website says it is, but if you get it down right, it'll look nice. <shrug>

Personally, I do exactly what JDZ suggests. Not perfect, but good enough w/ pearl white.

Michael.
Old 09-04-2002 | 11:43 AM
Jill

Default Re: Re: rock/paint chip on my z..

Originally posted by Rogue

Yes. Go back out on the highway find one of the big 18-wheelers driving around hauling crap. Then get the company the truck is from and it's liscense plate. When you get home give them a ring and say something flew out the back of the truck and cracked your windshield and chipped up your hood. Their insurance company will cut you a check to have the stuff fixed right.
haha, that's classic advice
Old 09-04-2002 | 12:13 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Default Re: Re: rock/paint chip on my z..

Yes. Go back out on the highway find one of the big 18-wheelers driving around hauling crap. Then get the company the truck is from and it's liscense plate. When you get home give them a ring and say something flew out the back of the truck and cracked your windshield and chipped up your hood. Their insurance company will cut you a check to have the stuff fixed right.
Yeah, the great American way, pass the responsibility on to someone else. I do hope you are kidding??!!
Old 09-04-2002 | 12:32 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: rock/paint chip on my z..

No, I am not kidding. look at his original post, that's where the rock originated from. Unless he knows which truck company kicked it up what's the big deal? That's what truck companies have insurance for.
That is also why he has insurance if he uses it, for those times when damage occurs and he doesn't have any one to pin the responsibility on. Truck companies don't have insurance so people can go looking for new paint jobs by following them around. They have it for covering their butt when they are truly at fault for an accident and such.

Shoot, he might as well go to court and claim that he suffers from anxiety now when he follows big trucks and sue for damages. That will hurt those bastards where it hurts. Of course everyone forgets that the money only comes out of our pockets in higher prices and such.

Do you carry insurance so that people can follow you and say you caused the crack on their windshield. If so, I have a truck that needs a new windshield, I would appreciate it if you could post your insurance company and policy number.
Old 09-04-2002 | 12:53 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: rock/paint chip on my z..

LOL, come on man my last 2 posts have been total jokes. please don't take what I'm saying seriously. I've known people in the past that have done this. I wouldn't have the ***** to lie like that.
Honestly, I wasn't sure but am damn glad there is someone else out there that wouldn't do that. The worst part is that there are those that do that not realizing that we all end up paying for it somehow. I was tempted once but knew that it wasn't worth feeling like a turd every time I saw a dump truck. It's a shame there are a lot of people that would do that kind of thing.
Old 09-04-2002 | 02:36 PM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by VaGentleman
You might also want to investigate this which is found at Section 1, page 12 of the owner's manual (column 3, 2nd full paragraph):

"A cracked windshield should be replaced immediately by a qualified repair facility. A cracked windshield could affect inflation of the supplemental air bag system".
So..no one has anything to say about this??
Old 09-04-2002 | 06:21 PM
Zoro

Default My exact suggestion

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Try using a paint pen from http://www.autovisuals.com ; I understand that Courtesy is also selling OEM paint pens as well.

Another alternative would be http://www.langka.com . I think some of the guys from the NSX board has tried this. Some have had much luck and others don't. I guess it's not as easy as the website says it is, but if you get it down right, it'll look nice. <shrug>

Personally, I do exactly what JDZ suggests. Not perfect, but good enough w/ pearl white.

Michael.

Michael's suggestion should do the trick. I wouldn't suggest using even the finest grade of sandpaper on a new paint job.
The paint pens come with the color on one end and the clear coat on the other. It looks like several colors still aren't in stock at this time however.

I wonder if anyone has a bra out for the z yet?
Old 09-04-2002 | 07:06 PM
Da Gimp

Originally posted by VaGentleman

So..no one has anything to say about this??
When the airbag deploys, it bounces off the windshield and then down into place. If there are chips or cracks in the windshield, the airbag might just spiderweb the window out and not be where it needs to be for the best amount of protection when you hit it.

At least thats what I've heard.
Old 09-05-2002 | 03:12 AM
Ray

Default paint chipped the first time i put gas in

love my car but I noticed when the nozzle just touched the car ( by mistake) it knocked the paint off. It was so small that I didn't get too excited but it made be aware that the paint is fragile plus!
Old 09-05-2002 | 07:09 AM
PistolPete

No, I am not kidding. look at his original post, that's where the rock originated from. Unless he knows which truck company kicked it up what's the big deal? That's what truck companies have insurance for.
Ha, this kind of thinking is exactly what's wrong with Americans these days. It's these kind of people that sue for various BS.

I am concerned about the apparant cheap-*** paint which seems to be going on these cars. Mine is due in a couple weeks, and I will be pretty hot if the paint chips at the drop of a hat.

Quick Reply: rock/paint chip on my z..