Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Damn, my 350z has frame damage. Not sure if it's worth fixing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
trackstar19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn, my 350z has frame damage. Not sure if it's worth fixing

Well i was rear ended and took my Z to a nearby shop... I'm not sure if it's worth fixing, or looking for something else. Both rear quarter panels got crunched a bit, and the bumper got pushed in a bit. Shop said there is frame damage, which makes sense.. It's a 2003 touring with 44k (have had it since 18k). Worth fixing? First shop estimated to fix it at $9000. I didn't feel comfortable with them though, and they seemed shady. I'm going to bring it to a shop I do trust once the roads clear (gotta love winter).

I figure it needs:
-New rear quarter panels (passenger/driver)
-Possibly new bumper
-Frame pulled/fixed

Would that really come out to 9k? :/

I love the Z and would love to fix it if it'd be the cheapest alternative, but if not I guess it's time to start looking for something new. What do you guys think? (I'll upload some pictures hopefully tomorrow when I go to bring it to another shop for a second opinion)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Arvin89

Get a WRITTENquote and a list of exactly what they think needs to be be done, so you have something to compare between shops.

And isnt this what insurance is for? since you got rear ended?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 PM
R350Zz33

if its really 9 k i think the insurance will total it out
Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM
porschett

Originally Posted by trackstar19
Well i was rear ended and took my Z to a nearby shop... I'm not sure if it's worth fixing, or looking for something else. Both rear quarter panels got crunched a bit, and the bumper got pushed in a bit. Shop said there is frame damage, which makes sense.. It's a 2003 touring with 44k (have had it since 18k). Worth fixing? First shop estimated to fix it at $9000. I didn't feel comfortable with them though, and they seemed shady. I'm going to bring it to a shop I do trust once the roads clear (gotta love winter).

I figure it needs:
-New rear quarter panels (passenger/driver)
-Possibly new bumper
-Frame pulled/fixed

Would that really come out to 9k? :/

I love the Z and would love to fix it if it'd be the cheapest alternative, but if not I guess it's time to start looking for something new. What do you guys think? (I'll upload some pictures hopefully tomorrow when I go to bring it to another shop for a second opinion)

If you got rearended, it's the other guy's insurance problem. At $9K, it's totaled. Do your homework. Find comparable cars, ie milage, condition, etc., on sites like autotrader. Don't give in to their first offer, they will move. If the adjuster refuses to budge, tell him you're going to call your attorney before you settle. The checkbook WILL come out. Also, you can start complaining about how bad your neck feels and that you may need to go to the doctor since you can't read his offer.

Last edited by porschett; 12-22-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: bad punctuation
Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
whitelightningHR

You may want to think about taking it to a Carmax dealer. I work at one and they appraise cars all the time. You'll get a written offer for market value on your car and they will take the frame damage into consideration. That might help you make a choice on what to do. (keep it, or get rid of it)
Old 12-22-2010, 04:41 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whitelightningHR
You may want to think about taking it to a Carmax dealer. I work at one and they appraise cars all the time. You'll get a written offer for market value on your car and they will take the frame damage into consideration. That might help you make a choice on what to do. (keep it, or get rid of it)
With all due respect, I am not sure a Carmax dealer is the best place to get an appraisal done. Carmax is NOT going to give you a market value appraisal - they are going to give you an appraisal based on how much they can make reselling your car. They are in the business of making money by selling cars, not by giving appraisals.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't throw in the towel just yet. what did insurance say? did you even get it looked at by an adjuster? throw us some pics if ya can
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 PM
trackstar19

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
don't throw in the towel just yet. what did insurance say? did you even get it looked at by an adjuster? throw us some pics if ya can
Sorry I don't have any pictures yet guys, it's sitting in a collision repair shop right now. Roads are snowy so I cant go to take it to other shops or take pictures yet.

As for the insurance issue... I only have liability on my car... and it was a hit and run. :/ So i talked to my insurance... i'm pretty much on my own with this one. It really is barely noticeable though unless you're up close and looking for it. The big issue is this first shop said there is frame damage. And put the $9000 price tag to fix it. Not worth it to me at that place :/. It's a part of a stealership though, so I'm hoping if I go to this place I always go they'll give me a much "better" quote/more trusted idea on what I should do.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Wipe_Drive

ill give you a hundred bucks for it
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM
L33TZOR

Stupid question, is the Z a unibody chassis design? Does it even have a frame? If so, do they say the words "frame damage" loosely?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 PM
StephanieValles

i had over $ 13,000 in damages as well as frame damage & my insurance still didnt total it out.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StephanieValles
i had over $ 13,000 in damages as well as frame damage & my insurance still didnt total it out.
that would all depend on the total value of your car... usually over 60% they start to look at totaling it our vs fixing it.

What year is your car? trim? mileage?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:23 PM
StephanieValles

2006 Touring w/ a little over 60,000 miles
Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope the other car has insurance, now a days you never know. But if you get insurance money then you can think of what you want to do as you will at least have some $ to work with.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 AM
carnutfl

Default Try this one

I have a 2005 Anniversary model listed in "cars for sale" with only 21K miles for 13K.
Attached Thumbnails Damn, my 350z has frame damage. Not sure if it's worth fixing-100_2185.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im a auto body tech at a reputable chevy dealership and can say if you have frame damage (unibody/frame) that estimate will sky rocket to 9k quick. Frame labor (ours is at 55/hr) means you must put it on the frame machine to pull the car back to correct specs.if you got hit hard enough to seriously buckle both quarters to where they arnt fixable then i can guarantee you your rear body panel (structure peice behind bumper) and possible the floor will need replacing if not then some pulling to get it straight (this could be what they mean by frame damage.

post pics or rear veiw and both side views. Also pay attn to your gaps in between each panel. (door to quarter. deck lid to quarter) things like that can tell you alot.

REMEMBER if any shop quotes you 8-10k thats a estimate if its written or not. once they start on it it could shoot up another 2k easily.

Post pics and i could help ya alot more bro.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:18 PM
plumpzz

Total it and get a 370Z...!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:53 PM
trackstar19

Originally Posted by carnutfl
I have a 2005 Anniversary model listed in "cars for sale" with only 21K miles for 13K.
Wow, it looks nice man. If you still have it and I decide to get another Z i'll shoot you a PM.
Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
Im a auto body tech at a reputable chevy dealership and can say if you have frame damage (unibody/frame) that estimate will sky rocket to 9k quick. Frame labor (ours is at 55/hr) means you must put it on the frame machine to pull the car back to correct specs.if you got hit hard enough to seriously buckle both quarters to where they arnt fixable then i can guarantee you your rear body panel (structure peice behind bumper) and possible the floor will need replacing if not then some pulling to get it straight (this could be what they mean by frame damage.

post pics or rear veiw and both side views. Also pay attn to your gaps in between each panel. (door to quarter. deck lid to quarter) things like that can tell you alot.

REMEMBER if any shop quotes you 8-10k thats a estimate if its written or not. once they start on it it could shoot up another 2k easily.

Post pics and i could help ya alot more bro.
Very interesting, THANK YOU for your input!! The gaps are all alittle off around the two rear quarter panels after the accident. Sorry I have no pictures yet, the collision shop has been taking time off for xmas or something, I have been trying to get the car since the 23rd so I can get more estimates and take pictures... but nothing back yet. Was hoping I could get it before xmas, as im located out of boston and it's supposed to be pretty crazy the next day or two with snow. Damn. But thanks again for the response man, I'll get pictures ASAP (hopefully tomorrow)
Old 12-26-2010, 02:24 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind if you do keep it/fix it, later on down the road, it will be a pain in the *** to sell. they dont give out loans for salvaged vehicles, and not too many people have a ton of cash ready to fork over. i say if they want to total it, let them. buy it back if you want parts, or make it a track car etc. but do not keep it with the intentions of later on selling it for a reasonable price
Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd try my hardest to get it total'ed. I don't stay too attached to my cars, and I have a strong feeling it will never feel the same post-repair.

Quick Reply: Damn, my 350z has frame damage. Not sure if it's worth fixing