Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM
tazicon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not going to read the replies as some will be negitive and some positive. Just note I am an old hard core standard or go home kind of guy who loves the 7 at in the Z. I drive it in manual mode only, the wifes uses it as an auto. I hated the 6mt, I test drove them a few times and the last for over 2 hours trying to like it but I hated driving it. My old B210 back in the day had a better MT.

48 years old and after almost a year I am still happy with my 7at.

Last edited by tazicon; 10-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

^ well first of all, the 350z doesn't have a 7at. unless you're referring to the 370z.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Does this win the award for the oldest thread revival on the board?

All Imma say is dat widout da Turbonator, it don' matta ef you gots da stick o da slop, yo car be widdout it, know wat I'm sayin?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM
RedSexZNismo

Originally Posted by JeffJohnries
MT FTW, how else do you throw you chicks head into the headrest when she says some stupid **** and get away with it... "Oh, sorry hun the clutch pedal slipped out..."
Funny !!!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
RedSexZNismo

Originally Posted by Deteria
When you drive manual long enough, u don't think about when to shift -_-
Good point. The engine note will tell you everything when it pertains to shifting.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 PM
707_Z

Originally Posted by stuartc323
just being honest, im just lazy lol, but there really is no difference, as long as a driver learns throttle response, shift speed, etc.., the transmission has no effect on driving ability or experience
+1. After driving a MT for years in bay area traffic, I'm happy with the 5AT just cuz I'd rather be lazy
Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, this thread was revived after 10 years. LOL!

I like my AT. But like the power delivery from MT's more. In motorsports, super-quick and accurate shifts, along with heel-toe skills would give the MT a full advantage. Unfortunately I'm just a noob who can operate the manual in the conventional manner. So I feel more comfortable racing with the AT in manual mode.

It's just a matter of how you use the car overall

I placed 3rd at the the recent autoX event beating a whole bunch of cars like the Vette, M3's, an M5 and the usual V8 cars. Not bad for an AT

http://www.crankandpiston.com/lifest...d-of-summer/4/

Last edited by 350Zdj; 11-03-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much shifting did the AT do on the autoX course? Seems like you could just put it in manual mode and leave it in second the whole time.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
How much shifting did the AT do on the autoX course? Seems like you could just put it in manual mode and leave it in second the whole time.
We used the oval racing section of the Dubai Autodrome. It is a fast AutoX layout. Max speed I did was about 90-95mph and slowest was like 20mph while doing a full 360 turn around a cone. That means I needed to use all the first 3 gears

Last edited by 350Zdj; 11-04-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Xx350xX

Id say autos are nice for my girl=not messing up my tranny
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
35thannyZowner

Default Jet Engines are best

After owning a 6mt Z since 2005 I've decided to switch to a Jet Engine equipped with Afterburner. To heck with shifting gears. Hit the gas hard, gee no spinning wheels. Press that little Afterburner button, and wooosh!....you just blew away that guy in the SUV who's been tailgating you for the past 15 miles. I love it! I can even power wash my house with it using a simple hose attachment. I can even BBQ that turkey, and that Bassterd Uncle Roger!

You got anything better?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Ms.350zQueen

Okay I have an auto and I love to be honest with you! I would love to have a manual, but the car was my dads and he sold it to me. And I didn't feel like goin out a looking for a manual. I mean over all its still fast as hell and it shifts great...but that doesnt mean I don't know how to drive a manual.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
antifungal

Originally Posted by Ms.350zQueen
Okay I have an auto and I love to be honest with you! I would love to have a manual, but the car was my dads and he sold it to me. And I didn't feel like goin out a looking for a manual. I mean over all its still fast as hell and it shifts great...but that doesnt mean I don't know how to drive a manual.
your dad sold it to you? Jeez i must be lucky. Not that my parents bought me a z, but my old man has a 93 6sp vette with 30k miles on it. Said it would be mine when he can no longer drive.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
antifungal

Originally Posted by Boomer
I am 58 years old and I am buying the Zwith a AT because I want one. I have been driving MTs for 35 years, starting with my first new car, a 1965 Triumph TR4 with a 4spd. I have owned cars with MTs for longer than you have been on this earth and I am supposed to listen to you make sweeping statements about who is a true enthusiast? Get a life and get off this thread unless you have something to contribute to the original question.

You better go back to the beginning of this forum and read the rules of conduct, you can be banned permanently from the site. This forum is for discussion, not for immature declarations like you just made.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT
lmao
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
35thannyZowner

Originally Posted by Ms.350zQueen
I learned how to drive on a manual shift, and my first car was a 1940 Cadillac LaSalle (classic). My Z is a 2005 35th anniversary 6mt track model. I paid $48,000 american dollars for it new. Many times I was approached by different people, young, old, male, and female who envied me for owning it. I am a female, older than you, but still a female. Nobody would ever trash me in real life for driving my 6 speed Z. Regardless that we may have a common interest in this place, it is still the Internet.

huggz,

June
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM
35thannyZowner

Originally Posted by Boomer
I am 58 years old and I am buying the Zwith a AT because I want one. I have been driving MTs for 35 years, starting with my first new car, a 1965 Triumph TR4 with a 4spd. I have owned cars with MTs for longer than you have been on this earth and I am supposed to listen to you make sweeping statements about who is a true enthusiast? Get a life and get off this thread unless you have something to contribute to the original question.

You better go back to the beginning of this forum and read the rules of conduct, you can be banned permanently from the site. This forum is for discussion, not for immature declarations like you just made.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT
Way to go Boomer! I owned a red 1967 TR4A IRS w/ wire wheels.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
antifungal

Originally Posted by 35thannyZowner
I learned how to drive on a manual shift, and my first car was a 1940 Cadillac LaSalle (classic). My Z is a 2005 35th anniversary 6mt track model. I paid $48,000 american dollars for it new. Many times I was approached by different people, young, old, male, and female who envied me for owning it. I am a female, older than you, but still a female. Nobody would ever trash me in real life for driving my 6 speed Z. Regardless that we may have a common interest in this place, it is still the Internet.

huggz,

June
holy moley 48k eeeeesh
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
35thannyZowner

Originally Posted by antifungal
holy moley 48k eeeeesh
It came with every option. There were only 249 35th anny Z's built in superblack in the World. Even the Nismo convertible was cheaper. The "superblack" 35th's were to be equipped with heated tan/black leather seats, GPS w/ auto door. brembos, and 300hp engine w/ variable exhaust valves. etc, etc.. I met 5 people with "superblack 35th's." Not one of them was equipped with every feature. I met one guy who had one w/ black seats, and no GPS. Nissan originally boasted about the 35th wheels that only came with the 35th. In 06 it was quite common to see the new Z's with the (35th) 5 spoke wheel. The 35th owners in Canada that I knew of had vehicle number plaques (#4 of 249 etc.) on the shift cowling, but here in America the dealers had no idea how to get the plaques. I even called Nissan in the US direct, but they said that they didn't participate in the # plaques. Nissan was not very consistent, and I think that some of the (35th's) were actually aftermarket mods so the dealers could make more money. Yes I paid a lot, but the car was as described by "Car & Driver", and others. It's like owning a diamond that you know came from a diamond mine, and not a body shop.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM
antifungal

Originally Posted by 35thannyZowner
It came with every option. There were only 249 35th anny Z's built in superblack in the World. Even the Nismo convertible was cheaper. The "superblack" 35th's were to be equipped with heated tan/black leather seats, GPS w/ auto door. brembos, and 300hp engine w/ variable exhaust valves. etc, etc.. I met 5 people with "superblack 35th's." Not one of them was equipped with every feature. I met one guy who had one w/ black seats, and no GPS. Nissan originally boasted about the 35th wheels that only came with the 35th. In 06 it was quite common to see the new Z's with the (35th) 5 spoke wheel. The 35th owners in Canada that I knew of had vehicle number plaques (#4 of 249 etc.) on the shift cowling, but here in America the dealers had no idea how to get the plaques. I even called Nissan in the US direct, but they said that they didn't participate in the # plaques. Nissan was not very consistent, and I think that some of the (35th's) were actually aftermarket mods so the dealers could make more money. Yes I paid a lot, but the car was as described by "Car & Driver", and others. It's like owning a diamond that you know came from a diamond mine, and not a body shop.
eh wouldve gotten something else for 50k. But glad you enjoy it, any pics of that nismo convertible?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
35thannyZowner

Originally Posted by antifungal
eh wouldve gotten something else for 50k. But glad you enjoy it, any pics of that nismo convertible?
I did look at the Porsche Cayman, but the Z had more power, and a nicer interior.

I couldn't find a pic of the '05, but here is an '06 Nismo convertible sales video:

Quick Reply: Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?