Sponsored by:

"Clayed & Waxed"!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 05:00 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Clayed & Waxed"!!!

You all owe it to yourself to either do this yourself or have it done professionally. It took me about 2 1/2 hours on the Z. Once you CLAY your entire car and follow up with a high-quality wax (Mecguiars ) your paint surface will be as slick as glass, and 10 times easier to keep clean! Enough talk, let the "bling-bling" begin..............

Old 09-05-2002, 05:08 PM
DaChoZn1

It's Beautiful!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:12 PM
SandMan

Thumbs up

Wow that's a great wax job. Well worth the effort and time.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:23 PM
stevo

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

dont wanna sound dumb but, how do you actually "clay bar" your car?? just rub it on there?
Old 09-05-2002, 05:27 PM
mattyZ

You really shouldn't wax your car for 3 months after build date...looks beautiful though
Old 09-05-2002, 05:30 PM
airgate

Now that is beauty. . .

Have you ever tried Zaino? Just curious.

Also, you don't have to wait a particular amount of time after taking delivery to wax your car. The sooner, the better! And using the clay bar was very smart! That bar took away most (if not all) of the sediments that the paint collected during transport!

Very nice indeed!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:33 PM
airgate

Originally posted by SandMan
Wow that's a great wax job. Well worth the effort and time.
There are a variety of methods. The one I use is taking a small spray bottle filled with water and a small cap full of auto soap. Spray this mixture onto the paint to "lubricate" the clay bar. Always use top to bottom or up and down motions! Never side to side! Also, it's a great idea to complete the roof and work your way down leaving the rear and sides for last as they will usually have most of your sediments.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Brad4rdHay

If you dont know what claying is look up under my "detailing Session" I dont recomend usuing car wash soap as the lube for clay. It really doesnt provide the ight amount of lubrication. Always use a spray "quick detailer"
Old 09-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Turcoupe

Whats the difference between claying your car before waxing it and just washing really thoroughly?

Your car looks awesome.....chrome silver is the bomb.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:58 PM
wickerbill

Clay grabs the stuff that is bonded to your paint that regular washing doesn't remove. On a new car like this you won't get a whole lot of stuff off of the car, but it is still worth doing. Clay bar an older car and you will be amazed at the amount of stuff the bar picks up.

Also, regarding the lubricant, it depends on what kind of clay bar you use. Zaino recommends you use a diluted mixture of their car wash when you use their clay. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendation and you'll be fine.

I zainoed my spa yellow pearl S2000 a month ago and that stuff is amazing. It made my car absolutely sparkle and I have read that water still beads up after as six months. That's a big difference compared to any other wax I've ever used. I plan on putting coats on more often than twice a year, but it's nice to know it has that kind of longevity.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:06 PM
ringwurm

Is it possible to harm the paint when you clay the car? I haven't seen the process in person before and am scared I would end up with streaks or scratches. Anyone have a pic of them actually applying the clay? I would be interested in seeing the process.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Brad4rdHay

Yeah, not to sound repeptative, but i covered this alot in Detailind Session 3: Prep

Wickerbill: I've talked to the one of the head chemists at Mothers and he (and I) really dont recomend the wash. It will work, but the risk of scratching you paint is a little higher. Remember, you want to keep claying to a minimum (only when you have to) and ALWAYS wax/seal after claying.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:24 PM
leadfoot

Originally posted by ringwurm
Is it possible to harm the paint when you clay the car? I haven't seen the process in person before and am scared I would end up with streaks or scratches. Anyone have a pic of them actually applying the clay? I would be interested in seeing the process.
This is a detailing standard not some half-assed guess work. Corvettes, Porsches, Ferrari's, most of us know from years of experience that this is the proper way to prepare a car for wax. I know that we don't all know everything about car care but that is why people are sharing. If you actually wax your car BEFORE stripping of it of impurities, you are at a greater risk of damaging your car by waxing with particulate and impurities already present which sands the surface of the paint and then traps impurities in the wax and between the paint and wax. The clay bar allows you to get the car as clean and free from impurities before you apply a protective coating of wax. Follow the instructions and you will be home free. The car will be cleaner and much easier to care for in the future.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Originally posted by Turcoupe
Whats the difference between claying your car before waxing it and just washing really thoroughly?
To find out, take a piece of celophane(sp?) around your finger and smoothly rub that finger across the car. You will most likely feel a lot of small bumps that are embedded into your car. After claying, it is smooth as glass.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:29 PM
wxtornado

... for Zaino claying instructions...

http://www.zainobros.com/files/z18.htm
Old 09-05-2002, 07:32 PM
ZBarrister

Great start to getting your car clean and ready to wax.

I did the exact same thing when my Z got home. Did the clay and then started with the Zaino. Here's a pic so you can see what it looked like.

Can't wait to see what rims you put on!
Attached Thumbnails "Clayed & Waxed"!!!-zaino-z-side-view-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 09-05-2002, 09:51 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Hey, TXSTYLE, time to change the sig now, eh?

No more Lexus staring at us all the time -- woohoo!!

(Uh-oh, I'm gonna get flame broiled with pro-Lexus giant letters from TX... Please, don't hurt me. I'm kidding! )
Old 09-06-2002, 06:40 AM
Carterattorney

Shiny is.. as Shiny does..??!!

It is my understanding to wait about 2 to 3 weeks before waxing.. to allow the paint to throuoghly set!!?? Anyway.. they all look great.. I dont know about you guys.. but I get stares alot..
Attached Thumbnails "Clayed & Waxed"!!!-car2.jpg  
Old 09-06-2002, 06:54 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

*DON'T BE MISINFORMED* I have had 5 brand new cars prior to this, and I have a long-time friend who owns a detail shop (he has since moved) and I know the "do's & dont's of DETAILING". And trudt me when I tell you, "Claying & Waxing (or just waxing after a thorough cleaning) is the best thing for your paint after delivery!" Think about it: The paint was cured long before they applied that 'tape' we are all familiar with prior to shipping! You feel me. And the sooner you can give that new paint (actually clear-coat) protection, the better!
And yes, I've tried Zaino. And yes, it is a very good product. BUT! For the money & results I'll stick with my tried-and-true Mecguiars.

Originally posted by ninepoint5
hey tx......where r those shaweet wheels???......just curious.....
Don't worry, they're coming.......... But you know how it goes, things come up, priorities change. Although I definitely 'want' (and will have) new and larger wheels, as my wife pointed out I don't 'need' them. ANd as we approach our 2nd year anniversary, I want to keep a smooth ship sailing! Trust me, you guys all know, my first "mod" will be posted up just as soon as I can get my hands on a computer!

Quick Reply: "Clayed & Waxed"!!!