Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

E46 or Track 350Z? (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 01:32 AM
tbcz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by WntA350z
All I have too add is BMW = Piece of Sh%t. With all the e46 motors that have been blowing and all the problems that they have given my advice is go with the Z. After 3 years that M3 will probably be in the shop same as ALL bmw's. Get the Z, wait for Nismo to come out with some sort of forced induction, then you'll put those dumb BMW'S to shame.
Now there's an intelligent, well-informed post.

So I guess it was a fluke that my BMW never saw the shop outside of (free) scheduled maintainence?
Old 09-07-2002, 06:28 AM
Boomer

Default Impressions

Originally posted by Pooh2002
Boomer,

I read that you got your car today!! Congratulations!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. You got the exact color interior/exterior and transmission that I ordered. I haven't heard anyone else talk about the color combination. Would also like your impressions of the AT.

Give us a write-up when you stop driving all over OK and get out of the car.
I'll try to get you guys waiting some impressions by the end of next week. I will say, the color and new shape stops pedestrians in their tracks. Every one at my credit union, who wasn't busy when I brought the car in for inspection piled out of their offices, including the manager. They were wild about the exterior and interior, and some of them told me how gorgeous it was 3 or 4 times! Dirty off the carrier, it looked really good, clean its a knockout. Now I'll shut up and post you later.

Boomer
Old 09-07-2002, 01:25 PM
baven

Hrm, take it from folks who have driven both cars. I have an 01' M3 w/6spd not SMG (I wish now). Yes, the car had some major engine problems but that was limited to 3 months of the build date 9/01-11/01 so check the build date, if it has that talk to a dealer first and talk to them about spinning the main engine bearings, which is the primary reason the engines grenade.

If its not in those build dates, and has 3k miles its a helluva deal. Keep in mind that the car is a 50k+ car and has a MUCH higher resale and value retention than the Z. It will also be much much much more rare in a few months once the Z's have saturated the market.

The upkeep isn't that bad unless you like to break things and drive it like an idiot. Mine has 18k on it and I haven't had any unseen problems yet, and it drives MUCH better than the Z all the while with the ///M luxury.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:27 PM
S2kPower

Originally posted by 350z_tako
I don't think BMW = sh@t but I would take Z.... M3 is pretty good car but Z has more potential room for upgrading and mods. M3 has a little bumpy ride and costs a lot to adjust it to what you want. Anyway, it's your preference. Drive both. To me, Z was more fun and cost effective
LOL why would you settle for a 350Z when you cna have a E46 M3 (If price isn't issue)

350Z VQ motor is pretty much maxxed out from the factory.
Isn't this the same engine as Maxima and Altima just more beefed up and tweaked?
Old 09-11-2002, 03:24 PM
kl0n0pin

Talking If its for the same price...

definitely get the e46 m3, just check out the build date.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:42 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by S2kRob
Tough decision. You're comparing a used car to a new car. For me, I'd get the new car.

But the M3 has an 8000rpm redline, a smooth inline 6, 330hp, availability of an SMG transmission, and seats 4 if that's important to you.

The 350Z is way cheaper, offers close performance, and has a better wheel and brake package from the factory for the track model.

Tough choice. I'd personally go with the Z because it's a 2 seater, and it's a better bang for the buck (esp. up here in Canada where a track is under $30k US).

Also, the 350Z aftermarket will be bigger than the M3's, even though the M3's market is plentiful. But you will see anything and everything you can possibly imagine for the 350Z. Just wait and watch.

But my ultimate garage would probably have a 350Z and an M3 in it. Both are awesome. You can't go wrong with either.
My level of respect for you has grown by leaps and bounds from this one post. You have definitely moved to the "righteous dude" column in my book.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:46 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Default Re: are u kidding me...

Originally posted by bimmersamster
The only issues for the M3

Production date of the month of November 2001 with SMG

If your car isn't a part of that production you're clear
1000% not true. Need proof? Check here. More than enough scary M3 engine failures to steer me clear.

An ECU that reports that the engine (electronically limited to 8000) was held at 8800 RPM for 15 minutes? Give me a break. What are they using to run those ECU's? Windows 3.1???

Keep your M3, I'll take the Z any day of the week.