Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

E46 or Track 350Z? (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Zboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E46 or Track 350Z? (need advice)

I have a Track 350Z coming by October 1st which will end up costing me $39,000 with taxes and everything. Or I can get a used E46 M3 at same price with about 3000 miles on it. I am very tempted to get the M3 right now but I am also aware that there have been some engine/warranty problems with the M3. I keep saying yes and then no to it. Any advice as to what I should do?
Old 09-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Liquiid Ice

This is a tough choice. but ur question should be what do u like to do? If you want a sports car get the Z but if u want the "best car in the world" which is how the M3 is considered by many magazines then get the Z, no lol get the M3. also do u prefere German to Japanese cars. its a tough choice, and to tell u the truth i wish i had to make it. both cars are amazing.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:15 PM
daytona350z

one part of me says M3, then it also reminds me of all high cost repairs. i mean, if its 39k to buy a M3, it still has parts of a 54k car.

p.s.
where is the M3 for 39k? i cant find one down here for that price with that mielage.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:17 PM
S2kRob

Tough decision. You're comparing a used car to a new car. For me, I'd get the new car.

But the M3 has an 8000rpm redline, a smooth inline 6, 330hp, availability of an SMG transmission, and seats 4 if that's important to you.

The 350Z is way cheaper, offers close performance, and has a better wheel and brake package from the factory for the track model.

Tough choice. I'd personally go with the Z because it's a 2 seater, and it's a better bang for the buck (esp. up here in Canada where a track is under $30k US).

Also, the 350Z aftermarket will be bigger than the M3's, even though the M3's market is plentiful. But you will see anything and everything you can possibly imagine for the 350Z. Just wait and watch.

But my ultimate garage would probably have a 350Z and an M3 in it. Both are awesome. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Zboy

Originally posted by daytona350z

where is the M3 for 39k? i cant find one down here for that price with that mielage.
There one near Boston in Laguna Seca Blue.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:28 PM
nickdtm

Originally posted by daytona350z
one part of me says M3, then it also reminds me of all high cost repairs. i mean, if its 39k to buy a M3, it still has parts of a 54k car.
Who cares? The car has a full maintenance plan for 36,000 miles and a full warranty for 50,000 miles. That means you pay _nothing_ until 36,000 miles (you can extend it to 50,000 for under $1000... definitely worth the cost). After that, yes it could be expensive... but if you don't keep a car that long then that isn't even an issue. If you have kept the car that long and want to keep it longer, then you'd have to decide if it's worth it to risk high repair costs. I think it would be
Old 09-05-2002, 05:35 PM
LA-Z

Guys there could be a very good reason it is soo cheap, think about it. How many engines have blown up? And who cares about the warranty, read the M3 boards about the hassle you get when your engine exlopdes. I will bet $10 it has had previous problems. Friend just bought a brand new one, VERY strict break in codes (unlike the drive out the box enjoy of the Vette's) and at 1500 miles they have to drain everything to get out all the shavings, and the way they said this it was like something you should do with all cars, I"m thinking ******** I had a friend that had the last gen. M3 drove it hard, and had no issues. Anyway those cars are going to get more and more shakey the longer down the road.

ON THE FLIP SIDE, who knows what issues the first round of 350's will have?
Old 09-05-2002, 05:37 PM
nickdtm

Actually 90% of the M3's with blown engines were built in November 2001, making them 2002 models. The 2001 models didn't have nearly as much trouble.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:31 PM
negcamber

I'm not so sure that 90% of the blown motors had 11/01 build dates. There is a guy on Roadfly who is keeping track...you might want to look there.

Personally, I would be a little cautious at that price. Many (if not nearly all) of the first year Laguna Blues were demo cars and not treated well during break-in. From the threads I've seen on other forums quite a few of these Lagunas later had blown motors. Take the VIN to a BMW dealer and pull the warranty repair history and make sure that it's warranty is still in place.

Having owned an E36M3, I can tell you that I will never own another BMW without warranty. Repairs became very expensive and frequent once the warranty ran out. But so long as I had warranty and was willing to put up with the service staff, I would not hesitate to own another...they are very balanced driver's cars.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:52 PM
max2000jp

How is this a tough decision? If you can afford an E46 M3 then buy it. Honestly overall a better car. I am pretty sure that BMW has sorted out the problems with the S54 engine. You also get free scheduled maintence with the bimmer. Reliability is a toss up. The Z hasnt been on the market long enought to judge how reliable it is. From the recent JD power study I saw, Nissan has a lot of work to do. Infiniti was among the best in quality, but Nissan was almost near the bottom.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Boomer

Default Re: E46 or Track 350Z? (need advice)

Originally posted by Zboy
I have a Track 350Z coming by October 1st which will end up costing me $39,000 with taxes and everything. Or I can get a used E46 M3 at same price with about 3000 miles on it. I am very tempted to get the M3 right now but I am also aware that there have been some engine/warranty problems with the M3. I keep saying yes and then no to it. Any advice as to what I should do?
I was planning to buy a new M3 as an early retirement present, wife concurring, but just couldn't get past the BMW NA ,"We build the best and we will tell you what options you may have and you will pay until you bleed over MSRP". I wanted a car with my options and was told it wasn't possible to get it. So I didn't buy one and now I'm really glad I didn't, with all the reports spread over several countries about M3s bearing and crankshaft failures.

I'm very suspicious about a 3000 mile M3 2001? or 2? for $39K; I haven't seen a used one for less than $48K anywhere. Hmmm, Smells like Salvage Title to me. I would hope you have researched this car's history very thoroughly before you even considered it.

As for the Z, I picked up my Brickyard Touring at 1 pm today and I LOVE THIS CAR!! Its brand new and drives great for $35K. Don't need no stinkin' M3! Seriously, you should try both and see which one does it for you, with my reservations on the M3, and buy it. You are the person to please, nobody else can do it for you.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT Owner, yeeaahh.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:47 PM
GameOver

if it still has warranty then its a good buy!! assuming its not salvaged

can you extend the warranty????

READ whats NOT covered on the warranty!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 06:53 PM
raceboy
Banned

Something sounds fishy. I looked all over for an M3 at that type of price before I got my Z and there was simply nothing to be had. There is a 6 month waiting list for the car and nationwide I couldn't find anyting with under 5K miles on it for under $45K??? Or, the other possibility is that there is something wrong with the car.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:58 PM
matt@importlife.tv

Talking What brand is an e46? never heard of it.

Just kidding. I test drove a carbon black one. I cant lie, super sweet. I dont own one so i dont know how many people actually have problems. But the day i drove it, had 3500 miles, that $hit was booking!

For me i wanted to get away from the bmw/mercedes crowd. I just sold my Slk230 Kompressor w/ amg kit cuz i just felt there was no soul to the car. Thats the best way i can describe the new m3. it seems to be built from a survey that bmw took for market research. which i know all manufacturers do. Dont get me wrong, its phat. But i like the last m3 more. but you're talking to someone whos fav ride is a 1994 Porsche Turbo 3.6S, last non AWD Turbo.

QUICK M3 POINTS
But if i had 55k to spare i may get one. the pros are the back seats, large trunk, free maintenance for 3 yrs/36k miles, free loaner cars, bmw nameplate, membership to e46fanatics/dtmpower

QUICK Z POINTS
Car has a soul
Nissan service is not BMW Service. No loaners, pay for maintenance, but the car has a soul. Trust me i brought mine home today.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

Boomer,

I read that you got your car today!! Congratulations!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. You got the exact color interior/exterior and transmission that I ordered. I haven't heard anyone else talk about the color combination. Would also like your impressions of the AT.

Give us a write-up when you stop driving all over OK and get out of the car.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:08 PM
leadfoot

I was going to buy an M3 after I sold my Vette, but the insurance was as much as my Vette. I also checked out a C32 that was a third of the cost of either the Vette or M3. THe quote I got on the Z was 1K per year, pretty reasonable for me. I have had several BMW's and they are exceptional cars but they definetly have problems. I too would be suspicious of the price/mileage of this car. I also agree that the Laguna Blue's suffered at the hands of many, mine being one.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:14 PM
350zpower

if i had expendable cash i would go for the m3 .. but bang for the buck goes to the Z .. basically ..If i had a lot of money lying around and had to choose between the M3 and the Z i would go with the M3.

both are great choices, you cant go wrong either way
Old 09-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Zboy

Thanks for everyone's input. Well, today I shopped around and found a Black Track Z wihout Navi for $36500 with taxes (got it for msrp). If everything works out then I am picking it up tomm (Saturday) at noon. I looked at the Black one with Rays and brembos. Simply amazing. teh car looks so agressive in black.
Old 09-07-2002, 01:22 AM
350z_tako
Know it all

I don't think BMW = sh@t but I would take Z.... M3 is pretty good car but Z has more potential room for upgrading and mods. M3 has a little bumpy ride and costs a lot to adjust it to what you want. Anyway, it's your preference. Drive both. To me, Z was more fun and cost effective

Quick Reply: E46 or Track 350Z? (need advice)