Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

You've been warned.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 AM
wholemilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
Totally respect your opinion and you have to do what makes you happy. I think the VQ35HR has a ton of potential. To me, the RB (altough a great motor) is now out dated. There are a lot of better platforms out there for the money. I would rather spend the money to build a beast of a HR and go from there. Again, just my

Sorry about the thread jack OP Still in for progress pics and updates!

Respect to you jerseystyle. different strokes for different folks (just like you said) and i too must apologize for thread jacking. i LOVE 2jz motors and that engine bay is spotless, nothing gets my car-gasm more than clean cars with style and you sir have both! i'm def subscribed for updates

Last edited by wholemilk; 05-21-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:03 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by almost3flips
2jz is nice because 1000 hp is possible on a stock block, but that's just me
That's fine if you want a dyno queen. Like I said, I think it's great he's doing it and I'm looking forward to the end result

Originally Posted by Spork
The RB and 2JZ are superior motors in their power-holding capabilities. They may not be as light as aluminum motors, but they can easily be powerhouses.
I agree, but the cost and amount of work/time you would have to put into it, you could easily build a VQ35HR with plenty of HP and still remain streetable

If you're looking for a trailer/dyno queen that gets a lot of looks, then I say go for it!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i would hate to swap a motor in the Z thats gonna cost more when **** breaks as well as gonna be a b1t** to find parts for. Shouldv thrown a LS2 in it. Can buy parts for it a wal mart lol
Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM
T0ps3cret

Goal update.
700whp on pump fuel.
1000 on race.

PS-this is not my car but im friends with the guy building it. i will try to keep you guys updated with as much as i know.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

meh... Seen it several times.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 PM
ninous26

That's fine if you want a dyno queen. Like I said, I think it's great he's doing it and I'm looking forward to the end result

I agree, but the cost and amount of work/time you would have to put into it, you could easily build a VQ35HR with plenty of HP and still remain streetable

If you're looking for a trailer/dyno queen that gets a lot of looks, then I say go for it!
Although I do see why someone would swap for an RB and I would do it myself you really have a point here. Even though they are not my cars and I have nothing to do with them it REALLY bothers me when I go to a car show/track and I see a sick high HP car constantly being trailered around everywhere with the occasional start up and rev but no actual racing.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ninous26
it REALLY bothers me when I go to a car show/track and I see a sick high HP car constantly being trailered around everywhere with the occasional start up and rev but no actual racing.
Exactly. Just because you can hit 1000hp on the dyno doesn't mean you can put it on the track. The amount of lag on some of those cars is ridiculous!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by TehkMob
sexxy swap. TT LS7 is the way to go imo... =)
Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Corbic

Why would you go from a 3.5 to a 2.6? Like I stated, waste of money IMO.
Yeah, why swap to an engine designed for $50-70,000 super-sports cars with 25 years of proven power potential and reliability instead of keeping a economy V6 designed for $20,000 sedans and minivans.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Corbic

Why would you go from a 3.5 to a 2.6? Like I stated, waste of money IMO.
What waste? a 2JZ is about $1,500 these days. Anyone familiar with wiring, fabricating and projects of this nature, the little extra to swap a 2JZ is peanuts compared to the rewards of no longer having to deal with a VQ.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 PM
omsin523

Check out this 2jz g35, very nice build shop here in orlando, fl the guy who did the swap is very talented and did and excellent job. This g35 pulls!

http://ripturbos.com/G35___350Z_2JZ_Swaps.html

Last edited by omsin523; 05-30-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

You obviously don't read very well Corbic. I was mainly referring to the RB motor not the 2JZ. Are they great motors capable of pushing large HP, sure, with the amount of money you will spend, you could easily build a nice VQ and call it a day. Even if you can buy a 2JZ for $1500, that doesn't mean that's all your gonna pay. It's an old motor which means total rebuild anyway. To each their own, but I'm perfectly fine with my "minivan" motor!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Oh and by your thinking Corbic, why not swap a motor out of a 1980 Porsche 911? I mean it was built for a "Super-sports car" as you put it.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
almost3flips

Dumb^
Old 05-31-2011, 03:41 AM
Corbic

You obviously don't read very well Corbic. I was mainly referring to the RB motor not the 2JZ. Are they great motors capable of pushing large HP, sure, with the amount of money you will spend, you could easily build a nice VQ and call it a day. Even if you can buy a 2JZ for $1500, that doesn't mean that's all your gonna pay. It's an old motor which means total rebuild anyway. To each their own, but I'm perfectly fine with my "minivan" motor!
You make it sound like building the VQ will solve all of your problems, but it doesn’t. Head on over to the FI section and read the horror stories of piston slap (thanks forged pistons), oil consumption, and premature bearing failure. Yes, I’m sure a lot of it is due to a poor build, but the reports are alarmingly frequent. Maybe it’s something as simply as a better harmonic balancer is needed or the factory bearing tolerances are not appropriate for a built motor. But that is the beauty of the 2JZ and RB26; these details were ironed out a long time ago.
Your comment about a Porsche motor is simply stupid, for many reasons. Yes, the RB26 is old and dated, but it’s an honest to god race motor full of Nissan pride and heritage with lots of cool features. ITBs, Twin Turbos, Inline Six and it’s a Nissan motor in your Nissan. I can see a lot of emotional-“builder’s pride” reasoning for choosing this route. It also seems very appropriate, combining both the original inline six found in the first Z-cars as well as twin turbos from the resurrection from the rise of the Super-Sports Car 300zx TT.
But logic should prevail for most, the turbo placement on a USDM car puts them at interference with the steering shaft, the motor set is expensive, parts are rare and expensive and as you stated, it is an older design that would add considerable weight with a peaky power band.
This leaves the 1JZ, 2JZ and LS swaps.* JZ motors can hold 600whp on stock internals all day long (something built VQs struggle with) and most are actually in great shape when coming from overseas. I’ve had a few friends toss them in S13s and SC300s and all three motor sets looked fantastic, inside and out.
You are also harping about the HR motor, sure, it is a HUGE improvement over the weak-sauce DE and oil chugging RU, but few Zs actually came that way. To swap a HR into a DE car would require just as much wiring as a JZ into a Z, not to mention the HR motor set, harness and ECU will set you back $4,000-$5,000.
So even if somehow, you build a VQ for cheaper than installing a JZ, you are still turning your engine bay into VR4 or B5 S4 status. *The Z already has a cramped, small engine bay and by shoving two turbos into it any basic maintenance or repair work becomes a pull the engine ordeal. Even single set-ups are horrific and cause A/C complications.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Well put and you bring up a lot of good points. My Porsche comment was pretty far out there, I agree. I honestly have no problems with either motor, but the RB was built for a car that is totally different in design compared to our Z's. At least the Supra was a rear wheel drive coupe.

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-31-2011 at 07:06 AM.