Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2nd time coming home empty handed =(

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 09:33 PM
evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd time coming home empty handed =(

alright guys. it took me plenty to finally convince my parents to seriously consider leeting me get the Z. $20k of my money. and $10k i borrowed from my dad.

im going for an 04 enthusiast AT w/ side airbag. and is looking to get it for $28,800. or at most 29k. since AT cost more than MT. i did my hw and it seems like everyone else can do it, someone even got 2400$ off MSRP. but today is the second day i came home w/o a Z. 2 dealership, 2 manager say i'm crazy with that price.

anyways, i guess i was just wondering if my offer is too low. or do i just have to keep looking? so far the lowest i can get it is $29,890. and thats the standard options (floor,trunk carpet, alum kick plate, cargo net) plus the side airbag. i need some help~ thanks

btw, im from so. cal near the LA area
Old 12-17-2003, 09:43 PM
CluelessZ

You FIRST need to get a price from a dealership out of town. (maybe within 100-200 miles).

Secondly, whatever the heck sticker price is, take off about 1200-1500 dollars.....That's your REASONABLE PRICE.

Finally, don't do this crap in person. Call the internet manager...The one who handles updating their website. Tell them you are ready to BUY TODAY, and saw a car on their lot which is CLOSE to what you like.

Tell them your not interested in coming to the dealership until they can meet the pricing you have been given. Tell them you would much rather get locally, than have to drive 100 miles..

that should do it. Oh, maybe have your dad do this. The more "Anxious" you are about getting the car, the more the sales guy can see it in your eyes
Old 12-17-2003, 10:43 PM
FLY BY Z

Wear sunglasses.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:30 PM
IndySmooth

Introducing yourself as "Evo" probably isn't a good idea either.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 PM
NzZ

Default Re: 2nd time coming home empty handed =(

Sounds to me like you're asking for a little too much perhaps (at least for your area). Consider the convenience of buying locally - if you have a problem, you can take it to your local dealer who will be more apt to fix stuff for ya. If I were you I'd budge a few hundred bucks...in the long run the only difference is bragging rights over what you paid. If I were you'd I'd aim for $2k off sticker. $2400 sounds like a big discount. I'm sure people have gotten it (or at least claim to have done so), though...

NM350

Originally posted by evo
alright guys. it took me plenty to finally convince my parents to seriously consider leeting me get the Z. $20k of my money. and $10k i borrowed from my dad.

im going for an 04 enthusiast AT w/ side airbag. and is looking to get it for $28,800. or at most 29k. since AT cost more than MT. i did my hw and it seems like everyone else can do it, someone even got 2400$ off MSRP. but today is the second day i came home w/o a Z. 2 dealership, 2 manager say i'm crazy with that price.

anyways, i guess i was just wondering if my offer is too low. or do i just have to keep looking? so far the lowest i can get it is $29,890. and thats the standard options (floor,trunk carpet, alum kick plate, cargo net) plus the side airbag. i need some help~ thanks

btw, im from so. cal near the LA area
Old 12-18-2003, 02:12 AM
DruDragzOn

Why not get an MT? You save more and get the experience of what a sports car should be(not knocking on people with AT Zs)?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:02 AM
spanker

Thats the same car I am looking for. I will post what I find. I am not in a hurry so I'll walk all the lots.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:07 AM
evo

Originally posted by DruDragzOn
Why not get an MT? You save more and get the experience of what a sports car should be(not knocking on people with AT Zs)?
I go to school in cent. cali and live in s. cali. that's a 3 hrs traffic drive every weekand consider i have a gf here at home. so, i figure i'll be better off with an AT in traffic.

28,800 is around $2000 off. (sticker is 30,750... the guy was giving me 29,900) i guess thats still a bit much? but i guess i walked since it seemed like everyone else on the board is getting it for less.

Last edited by evo; 12-18-2003 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:12 AM
jedoublery

Originally posted by evo
I go to school in mid. cali and live in s. cali. that's a 3 hrs traffic drive every weekand consider i have a gf here at home. so, i figure i'll be better off with an AT in traffic.
MT becomes second nature after a week driving it.
You won't even feel it in traffic.

But you will feel the lack of control when you really want to push the car.

Are you a girl?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:18 AM
evo

Originally posted by jedoublery
MT becomes second nature after a week driving it.
You won't even feel it in traffic.

But you will feel the lack of control when you really want to push the car.

Are you a girl?

my friend drives a MT and he complains all the time driving the route coming home.

am i a girl? no. (i said i have a gf (girlfriend) back home)
Old 12-18-2003, 11:42 AM
jedoublery

Sorry let me rephrase that.....

Are you a girl?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Turcoupe

Old 12-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Enron Exec

Hehehe, thats just plain mean.

Why dont you just leave an hour before/after traffic hours? The 350 does have a good amount of low end torque, but the clutch is long.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:16 PM
evo

Originally posted by jedoublery

Are you a girl?
are you some kind of a stupid?
talk to me again when you drive in LA traffic on a daily bases...

Last edited by evo; 12-18-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:17 PM
buletman

I test drove a manual and automatic, automatic is easier...plus, you get to keep one hand on her head...

Old 12-18-2003, 02:23 PM
ajk4

get what you want. and the whole "what a sports car should be" is crap cause everyone knows that the 5at is only a tenth or two off of the 6mt, and without that their identical in performance. and with the manumatic mode, the only really valid gripe about the 5at 350z not being a real sports car (no gear selection in the 5at when in auto), or any auto for that matter, is irrelevant. you really could do without the side airbags, ive seen numerous z's that were totalled and people walked away relatively unscathed without the side airbags (me included). but hea if it makes you feel safer, go for it. i'm not trying to hijack your thread and turn it into a 5at vs. 6mt debate. but being a 5at owner you hear alot of the old school crap about autos, so every once in a while you gotta speak up.

Last edited by ajk4; 12-18-2003 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:23 PM
ajk4

omg, bulletman that is hilarious!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:30 PM
themyst

that is why it is called the internet. people tend to lie. real-world situations and what you hear over the internet are two different stories. But I would assume they are more looking to push the AT 350z's off the lot, so you should be able to talk them down a bit more... then again socal is notorious for price gouging on car sales... probably a LOT tougher out there than anywhere else to get a deal. But I will add to what everyone else says... if you're going to buy a 350z, do so in the 6MT. Traffic is not that bad in a manual, leave it in second gear and allow yourself to coast along. Also, if you are willing to drive a 6MT, you can also purchase a base model for 3k less... and borrow less money from your dad Once you're on the highway cruising, you won't necessarily be shifting at all unless you want to pass someone. If you want an auto, you should definitely consider something more practical. power-wise, the 6MT and 5AT are very similar, net similar quarter mile times, but lower trap speeds on the 5AT, but on the same token, you just don't have full control over the car with an automatic, ever... totally defeating the purpose of owning a true sports car. Best of luck to you in your hunt.

PS - I live in NYC, drive a 6MT g35 coupe every day in traffic, and it doesn't bother me one bit. the only time a manual annoys me in the slightest is when i'm trying to light my cigarette in local traffic... as you will have to shift a bit more often then.

Originally posted by evo
I go to school in cent. cali and live in s. cali. that's a 3 hrs traffic drive every weekand consider i have a gf here at home. so, i figure i'll be better off with an AT in traffic.

28,800 is around $2000 off. (sticker is 30,750... the guy was giving me 29,900) i guess thats still a bit much? but i guess i walked since it seemed like everyone else on the board is getting it for less.

Last edited by themyst; 12-18-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:32 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by evo
are you some kind of a stupid?
talk to me again when you drive in LA traffic on a daily bases...
Don't let the 6MT diehards get to you. A lot of them can be serious jerkasses when the 6MT vs. 5AT debate comes up. The bottom line is, a Z with whatever transmission you choose is a great SPORTS car. You aren't losing anything with the 5AT.

I was in the same camp as you, and originally wanted the 6MT, but I have zero regrets getting the AT. Especially living here in SoCal, I can relate.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:32 PM
buletman

Originally posted by ajk4
omg, bulletman that is hilarious!!!
I try my best

but please, it is buLetman...

hehe...i am picky

Quick Reply: 2nd time coming home empty handed =(