Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moronic Intoxicated Driver Rear-ended me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:06 PM
FlushedOut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
Rates can go up for any claims, fault or not. There are stats that show people who are no-fault claimants still have higher later accident rates. People with large numbers of claims are also reasons for rate hikes.
yep thats completely true, but the last part is what confuses me..ive only had 2 accidents one on my old car and one here, both was me being rear ended and its been about 2.5 years since the last accident >.>
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 AM
dvsone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a wreck with a drunk driver head on. He almost killed me and had no money or insurance. Luckily I was insured against underinsured motorists. My father and lawyer negotiated not only my deductible but a huge settlement as well since the man was charged with a DUI. Clearly, my situation is a bit more extreme and is in a different state but you may be able to come out paying nothing you are just gonna spend some time negotiating and talking to your insurance folks.

From my experience, great things always come out of bad so just keep your head up and who knows it might end up being a great thing in hindsight.

Glad you are okay and GL on getting everything squared away.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
It may be different in Texas, but my agent told me they can't write a policy without uninsured driver coverage unless you specifically decline the coverage in writing.

In a perfect world, you'd pay for liability insurance when you buy gas, so nobody would be without coverage. The more you drive and the larger your vehicle, the more you'd pay. That seems reasonable.

The money collected would be doled out to the insurance companies based on the number of drivers they insure with other coverages. That would encourage them to provide reasonable rates and good service.
Sorry - but that sounds stupid, not reasonable.
OP - the absolute first call when hit by an uninsured driver is a lawyer - absolutely the first thing!

Last edited by PerfZ; 10-25-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry - but that sounds stupid, not reasonable.
OP - the absolute first call when hit by an uninsured driver is a lawyer - absolutely the first thing! Well, after the cops of course.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM
DiZeaZed

Dont worry bro it'll get fixed. I had a similar situation happen to me. The damage wasn't as bad so I had a shop fix it up for cheap.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
FlushedOut

well i just found out my fobby stupid asian insurance agent that takes care of my sister's policy screwed us over in misunderstanding in what my sister said to her in "can you take my brother off the policy" to "please put him on excluded driver"..........so yeh now I'm screwed both ways and has to put out money myself to pay for all the damages. The detective working on my case hasn't called me back at all since that first day so i have no way of getting the police report since he was suppose to provide me with it >.> i will have to take this guy to civil court?

Last edited by FlushedOut; 10-26-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
How can YOUR insurance go up if you're in an accident that's not your fault?
Happened to me before. Ice storm damaged my house. Used my insurance for the first time in 12 years. Rates almost doubled.

Got hit by a chick driving in the center turning lane. Ruled her fault. $15k in repairs on a $500 deductible. Insurance company dropped me.

Free market, I suppose.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does look like you're screwed. If you're an excluded driver for that car, it's the same as driving without insurance. You could even end up being charged. The fact that you weren't at fault is in your favor, but that's not much use without the accident report to back it up.

Your sister should have read the insurance paperwork before signing it, and she MUST have had to sign something to decline the UI coverage and put you on the excluded list.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Dang, sounds like you got a real bum deal on this one. Good luck sorting it all out. At least the car is drivable, and everyone is okay.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 PM
FlushedOut

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Dang, sounds like you got a real bum deal on this one. Good luck sorting it all out. At least the car is drivable, and everyone is okay.
yeh i got the short end of the stick this time, I'm waiting for the police report to be sent to me in a few days and i'll be at the attorney's office then to see how i can deal with this, in mean time, I'm taking my baby to the shop and have her fixed on tuesday. Luckily my friend owns a shop and will only charge me 1500 for labor and parts so its not that bad =)
Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 AM
bullionz

I've had that happen to me twice now, in two different cars. totalled both of them. One was a brand new GTI VR6 about 8,00kms, the other was a completely done up (finally, finally, finished) 1.8T GTI with 60,000kms. Chick had no insurance, 4 cars involved in total. The guy I hit (from being hit) in front of me blacked out taken away by ambulance on a stretcher.

Both drivers sober, both cars totally written off, I was completely stopped for approx 30 seconds in both cases.

Already had a texting SUV driving idiot rear and me, and leave an imprint of his license place with my Z... I will probably end up murdering the next guy with a baseball bat....lol... kind of.

Insurance companies will sue the uninsured driver personally.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM
FlushedOut

SWEET! my detective contacted me a few days ago and notified me that after the guy sobered up he actually provided proof of insurance so now my car is getting paid for!!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Itz_Gizzy

Originally Posted by FlushedOut
SWEET! my detective contacted me a few days ago and notified me that after the guy sobered up he actually provided proof of insurance so now my car is getting paid for!!
winner!!! tell the insurance place it'll cost 3k and do it at your buddy's shop. 1500 worth of mods right there.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's great news.

I'm just curious, though. How is it that your sister was getting the insurance on your car?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 AM
FlushedOut

Originally Posted by Itz_Gizzy
winner!!! tell the insurance place it'll cost 3k and do it at your buddy's shop. 1500 worth of mods right there.
haha my buddy got 5500 instead of their 4200 estimated total, I'm spending 1300 because I'm not replacing the lights since they are in no way badly damaged and will have my friend redo my front bumper =)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:28 AM
FlushedOut

Originally Posted by winchman
That's great news.

I'm just curious, though. How is it that your sister was getting the insurance on your car?
I'm paying my insurance of my car under her policy if thats what you're asking?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
TheVengefulCo

ouch that sucks =[ id be so sad ha. when my G got hit and run when i wasnt near my car i was crushed. It was only a nasty scuff on the front bumper but i was super pissed that i wasnt there when it happened so i could get that bastards license plate #. As long as your Z isnt deemed as salvage title itll be alright.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 AM
FlushedOut

Originally Posted by TheVengefulCo
ouch that sucks =[ id be so sad ha. when my G got hit and run when i wasnt near my car i was crushed. It was only a nasty scuff on the front bumper but i was super pissed that i wasnt there when it happened so i could get that bastards license plate #. As long as your Z isnt deemed as salvage title itll be alright.
lol exactly what i said, my z isn't deemed as salvage and I'm getting money from the other person's insurance to fix her up and make her even better than before =D and sorry bout your G man, don't you hate those kind of people in this world? =___=
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Itz_Gizzy

Originally Posted by FlushedOut
haha my buddy got 5500 instead of their 4200 estimated total, I'm spending 1300 because I'm not replacing the lights since they are in no way badly damaged and will have my friend redo my front bumper =)
1300 in mod money!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 PM
FlushedOut

Originally Posted by Itz_Gizzy
1300 in mod money!!!
haha 1300 is to pay for my repairs and labor, he's writing it up to about 4500-5500 in repairs sooooooo 3200-4200 of mod money!!

Quick Reply: Moronic Intoxicated Driver Rear-ended me...