Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What's your rev matching sequence with the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:09 PM
pbn85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's your rev matching sequence with the Z?

Been driving stick for five years, but after learning how rev matching is easier on the transmission, I recently decided to give it a shot. I've been doing it the past week, and found that there 2 ways of doing it.

1 - Clutch in, drop a gear, blip throttle then release clutch
2 - Clutch in, blip throttle, drop a gear then release clutch

I've been trying the 2nd method and I find it really hard because the rpms drop too fast so that I can't get a proper rev match. However, the 1st method seems more logical and easier to me. I tried it today and definitely had an easier time.

My question is what method is "better", or are they both essentially the same thing? Is one easier on the transmission than the other?

I'm on a new transmission (actually bought it) and want to make sure it gets treated properly.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 PM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3rd method. Clutch in, neutral, clutch out, rev match, clutch in, pick gear, clutch out. Double clutching and it's what I've found myself doing out of some habit. I need to get the heel toe down, it's been rather elusive to me. Hard to get the amount of brake input I want as well as the gas input.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I use your method 1 when I'm just down shifting for fun as in spirited driving... I'm working on the heel toe method...it's tough to do in most of the shoes I wear... < excuse
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Blip throttle and dropping a gear should be simultaneous. The Nismo 380 RS gas pedal helps for those who has problem with gas/brake input or placement.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by Emski
Blip throttle and dropping a gear should be simultaneous. The Nismo 380 RS gas pedal helps for those who has problem with gas/brake input or placement.
I want the 380RS pedal, but I has base model Z so I just have the plain ol black rubber pedals.... and I don't see much point spending money "upgrading" to stock pedals just to get the 380 pedal...I need to research some aftermarket pedals..
Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do #2, its more fluid. By the time I get around to the downshift the revs happen to be right where they should. Just blip as you shift, should be easy-unless youre granny shifting, which I could understand with a new tranny.

What happened to your old one? I hope this wasnt a question you meant to ask 5 years ago...

If your shoe size is bigger than a toddlers you could try big toe-pinkie toe shifting.

Last edited by -Trav-; 11-24-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by -Trav-
I do #2, its more fluid. By the time I get around to the downshift the revs happen to be right where they should. Just blip as you shift, should be easy-unless youre granny shifting, which I could understand with a new tranny.

What happened to your old one? I hope this wasnt a question you meant to ask 5 years ago...

If youre shoe size is bigger than a toddlers you could try big toe-pinkie toe shifting.
I do this^ but I find myself braking earlier than I should so I don't mash the brake as I should to roll my ankle and get the pinky toe over there!

Simple fix for me... grow bigger ***** and brake later! HAHAHA!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Clam

I rev match based on the 2nd method (clutch in, blip throttle/downshift, clutch out). I blip the throttle and move the gear lever simultaneously so that my RPM's don't drop.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2nd choice, kinda. The blip and downshift happens almost simultaneously.

It becomes second nature after a while, and it's meant to speed up the downshifting process. The first method would make things slower.

You'll get used to your target RPM eventualy, and your downshifts will almost be seamless on the road.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:26 PM
TravisFTW

i duno which method i do.....have never payed attention, i just do it without even thinking about it when i downshift haha ..
Old 11-24-2011, 11:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

While standing on brake, clutch in , hit throttle and select gear , clutch out.

The throttle blip may be a hair before i start working the shifter to select a gear.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisFTW
i duno which method i do.....have never payed attention, i just do it without even thinking about it when i downshift haha ..
Unfortunately I can not remember either.

Both methods are appropriate. Neither is better. Whichever method feels natural for you - use it
Old 11-25-2011, 03:30 AM
pbn85

Originally Posted by -Trav-

If your shoe size is bigger than a toddlers you could try big toe-pinkie toe shifting.
unfortunately the transmission on my 07 Z would grind 80% of the time down shifting from 6th to 5th, but never INTO 5th from 4th. It had 60k miles on it. I'm not sure if its the lack of rev matching that killed it or what. None of my other manual cars had transmission failure though.

You say you like the 2nd option, but I just can't nail it. Whenever I blip the throttle and then shift down, the process is longer compared to the 1st option, and therefore the rpm's just fall too quick for me to get it right. It's actually frustrating that I can't nail it. I usually pick up on things pretty fast.

Originally Posted by davidv
Unfortunately I can not remember either.

Both methods are appropriate. Neither is better. Whichever method feels natural for you - use it
I just had a feeling that option 1 MIGHT be worse because you're down shifting first without the rev match and therefore the synchros are still working hard compared to option 2 where you're rev matching first and then going down a gear. And I can't do it simultaneously as well, meaning, down shifting and revving. As long as both are equivalent and better than just not rev matching at all, it's fine with me. I bought this transmission new from Z1 and I really to take proper care of it so I want to follow the right method.

Last edited by pbn85; 11-25-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do #2
Old 11-25-2011, 07:17 AM
SlidewayZ33

2nd method is the way to go. Under normal driving speeds, rev match 500rpm per gear. For example, if you are going from 4th to 3rd blip throttle up by 500rpm. If you go from 5th to 3rd blip throttle by 1000rpm. Just a general speed match for rev matching
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 AM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#2...it's more natural braking into a corner fast, since you wanna hit the brake and throttle almost simultaneously.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Pbn85, while rev matching makes for a smoother driving style, (especially downshifting into a tight corner) it has no effect on the work that the synchros have to do. Once you push the clutch pedal in, the transmission input shaft and all the gears driven by it stop turning. All the throttle blipping and revving you do with the clutch disengaged have no effect on the trans gears. To complete a shift under these conditions it is up to the synchros to match the gear halves speed wise.

If you want to take over the duties of your transmission’s synchronizers refer to EmpireDude’s post on double clutching. A goggle search can explain all the hows and whys.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do clutch in, neutral, clutch out, blip throttle, clutch in/downshift, clutch out.

I use the synchros less. I'm pretty quick with it. A quick blip is usually at perfect RPM. I know #2 is what you're supposed to do, but I've never needed to do it because I usually brake lightly and earlier, then engine brake when downshifting. Never slowed me down.

I'm more concerned with wear and tear on tranny since I know synchros are poop.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess that's double clutching...
Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 PM
HDPDZO6

Useful when driving a big rig, but nothing saved by doing it in a vehicle with a synchronized transmission...

Quick Reply: What's your rev matching sequence with the Z?