Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Sighting and more

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 11:39 PM
6kLaunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sighting and more

Today at lunch I drove over to Nissan Hq. and drove around the facility and in their parking lots. Finally, a Chrome Silver car pulls out of the lot, so I follow him thinking he was going to lunch and I would be able to examine the car when he was eating.

The car was one of the earlier ones I suppose, because it had the recessed exhaust tips in the rear bumper. After following for about a mile, I realized that the two occpants were on a test ride and were circling back to Nissan. I got up next to the car to hear the exhaust note. The driver hit the gas and the car growled a little, but it was kind of disappointing. The exhaust note was a little too sedate for my liking. Actually, I couldn't even hear the car until he accelerated a little faster than normal. I think he realized that I was following him.

I backed off the car about 100 yards after following it for about 2 miles and followed it back into Nissan Hq, hoping to see others. The strategy paid off. The car pulled in a parking lot and then pulled into a garage like structure that I think doubles as a shipping and receiving area. It was dark in the garage area, but I noticed three cars in there, the silver one I followed, the Brickyard, and I couldn't make out the other one because the Brickyard was pulled in behind it. (the brickyard car looked awesome!) There was no place to park there, so I parked in a red zone and walked up toward the garage opening. I was immediately met by a security guy that said I needed to leave. Damn!

Not all is lost. The location of the 350z's lair is in the Nissan building at 189th and Figueroa. It is directly accross the street from the animal cemetary. As you turn off of Fig west onto 189th, the building is on your left. The garage is on the north side of the building (visible from 189th) and is the garage door most west on the north side.

As you get towards the end of 189th, there is an entrance into the Nissan lot . The guard didn't seem to care that I passed there. From the entrance to the lot, make an immediate left turn and go about 50 feet. You will see the cars from there.

I suppose if one just waited on the corner of 189th and Fig, you could watch them come and go because there is no other way in or out. It seemed that Nissan employees we taking the cars for a spin at lunch time, so that would be a good time to catch one as I did. By the way there were at least a dozen G35's in the Nissan lot.

So that's my lunchtime experience today... its was kind of fun!!! I had a camera, but you have all seen too many pictures of the silver car.

Drive a tight line!

Mark
Old 06-01-2002, 01:08 AM
RxO

Default Bueno!

There may be a better opportunity coming up in the next few weeks somewhere in southern california.
I will not be the messenger, but the message will be obvious.
It could be a very personal moment for all concerned.
please be respectful or Nissan may put the cars out of site until July.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2002, 01:14 AM
rouxeny

Hmm, that's quite a cryptic message. I for one don't think Nissan minds that we're trying to get a peek at the car. Like somebody said earlier, what we get aren't true spy shots, as everybody knows what the car looks like already.

If they really really didn't want anybody seeing the thing, they wouldn't be driving them around Southern California, the car capital of the world.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:19 AM
LowFuel

Hmm I was there from 11:45 to 1PM and didnt see any Z's at all.

Guess I missed em yet again.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:44 AM
6kLaunch

Jason,
I got there at about 1115 - 1120 I guess. Go to 189th and Fig.. and wait... or turn down 189th and wait outside the gate.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:19 AM
LowFuel

Thats exactly where I was... :/
Old 06-01-2002, 04:35 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

RxO-

Thanks again for the post.
Keep'em coming.

rouxeny-

Nissan might not mind us seeing the cars, but if someone tries to circumvent Nissan's security, they will definitely mind that. I think everyone should be mindful of Nissan's right to protect the security of their employees. You and I know that any of us trying to catch a glimpse of the Z are not a threat to them, but their guards don't know you from Adam.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:18 AM
rouxeny

Of course I'm not proposing that somebody tries to infiltrate their facility, or to pose as an employee or anything like that. That's just dumb, probably illegal, and frankly would **** Nissan off. However, if they're going to park the cars out in the open, or if the employees are going to be cool about somebody approaching them to ask some questions, I say go for it.

When I was home in LA last week, I went for a drive around the Nissan buildings in Carson on Memorial Day. I looked at every lot I could and drove into their visitor's parking lot, which was wide open. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything. I don't think I did anything to annoy the Nissan folks.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:36 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

rouexny,

I think we are in agreement. I do know that big corporations generally don't like having non-employees driving around their parking lots. It just sounded like RxO was giving us a friendly reminder to respect their property.

JD
Old 06-01-2002, 07:43 AM
tbcz

Default Thanks Rx0!!!

I think it best that we heed Rx0's advice. Nissan has apparently made a conscious decision to have these cars semi-accesible to us. I'm sure they could just as easily have kept them from us entirely. All it may take is one overzealous Z-chaser to change their mind. As Jay has noted, the traffic on this site sourced from NNA has risen considerably since the first "spy" pics were posted. So it would seem they are very aware of what's going on. Let's just not push it...
Old 06-01-2002, 08:04 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Originally posted by articfury
rouexny,

I think we are in agreement. I do know that big corporations generally don't like having non-employees driving around their parking lots. It just sounded like RxO was giving us a friendly reminder to respect their property.

JD
articfury,

You're right. I work for a big corporation. If someone circling around the property, the security folks would come out to make sure there are no vandalism or parking lot theft. That's their job. Employee only head straight in or out.