2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

05 350Z with Track package

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 AM
c6cmfall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 350Z with Track package

Hi folks,
So just signed up, don't own a 350Z but am looking at one for my son. He's been driving a 95 Impala SS and it's time move on. Want to see him get something fun and reliable that he can afford to maintain.

What I'm looking at is:

- 05 with the Track Package (what is the track package anyway?)
- leather interior
- 6 speed
- 50K miles (new brakes & tires)
- 2nd owner, clean car fax
- asking 14K

So I have no real experience with the 350, owned a 240 and then a 260 way back when.. I do know the 06 has more HP, but other than that what are the things I need to look out for? Are the 05's decent? Should I stay away and look for a newer year? Any advice would be helpful, I don't need another "project"..

Thanks,
Fred
Old 01-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Raybrant

Before anybody flames you, do you really think your son is ready for a car like the 350Z? Not that the Z is anything sacred but it's definitely more difficult to drive than an Impala SS.

I own an 05 Base and it's been very good to me. All Zs are generally very reliable until you start tinkering with it. Just be mindful when your son starts messing with the car that OEM reliability goes out the window when you start installing things like turbo kits, coilovers, breathing mods, larger injectors...

A few things to get straight: the '07-08s had more power (VQ35HR) and the '06s had the rev-up which I would avoid. If I were you, get nothing older than an '05 only because the older models had transmission problems that could only get fixed by replacing it.

You can easily find an '05 track in the 14k range. A quick google will net you the differences between trim levels. Basically the track package have the basics (cruise, traction control, vlsd...), brembo brakes, larger wheels, etc.

So you don't have to google... :
Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
-Base: no cruise control buttons on steering wheel.

-Enthusiast: TCS button on lower dash below steering wheel but no heater switches for seats.

-Performance: VDC button on lower dash but no heater switches or Brembo brakes.

-Touring: Heater buttons on center console.

-Track: Brembo brakes and VDC button. (though I suppose someone could add Brembos to a Performance.)
Do your research and make your informed decision as a father. Is it worth giving him an extra responsibility of taking car of a nicer car, having him pay a higher insurance premium for the extra "fun", the safety factor of driving a frisky FR car, and of course his maturity level (so he doesn't pull a dugan).

Last edited by Raybrant; 01-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
c6cmfall

Many thanks for the info. He's ready for next level, he's mature enough to handle it. I got a C6 last year and he's been driving my C5 ZO6 on and off for a while (while working on the impala, tired of seeing him dump money on this car).. The Impala was my mothers car, she bought it brand new and when she passed away I let him drive it, just been one little thing after another nothing major but it still takes time and money to keep it on the road, it's 17 years old.. I figured at the time for a 16 year old it was safe, he's 20 now and he pays for the car/insurance/everything himself. I keep telling him to get a "stock" car, leave it that way and just drive it. When he can afford a toy to tweak + a daily driver then go that route.

For him now his focus is school, job, girlfriend (may not be in that exact order..) but he has no time to tweak a car. So looking at what he could get for his budget the 350 seemed like a perfect answer. He could go by a new Honda Civic but I just don't see him doing that.. Even though that would be the "practical choice"..

Again, many thanks for the information. I just don't want to see him making an obvious mistake .
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
jes_96

On principle, I agree with everything in 'Rays' post, but I think it's worth mentioning that some of the older Z's can be a great deal. Case in point, my '03 Touring has 70k miles on it and I've never had a problem with the 6MT. If you're worried, be sure to look at maintenance records to confirm use of GL-4 gear oil in the trans at proper intervals (GL-5 degrades the syncros), and, while on your test drive, take it up on the rpm's from 2 to 3 to see if there's a grind. No proper maintenance records and/or any amount of grinding in the trans when shifting, I'd agree with the previous post - stay away. Note - yes, I'm biased, seeing as my Z is For Sale again come Spring.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 AM
xX Lil Oly Xx

Hey Fred! Can you be my dad and buy me a 14k car?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
c6cmfall

I'm not buying it, he's paying with his own money.. He's been working before he got his licence and saving his money. I let him use the impala just pay for insurance and maintenance, but it's time to move on. I'm just trying to make sure he not getting taken advantage of..
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 AM
makecopies

If he can handle a Impala SS he will have no problems with any Z.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Raybrant

If it's his money, let him shop around for whatever he wants. Just let him know that before he buys to run it over with you just so you're informed on what he's doing.

I got my Z and said I was going to drive the car stock for a year then start modifying. Two months later, I dropped $1300 in the car in mods. It hasn't been a year yet and I have already spent $5000-ish in mods/parts. The mod bug hits and it doesn't get any better once you have it.

I wish my dad owned a C5 Z06 and let me drive it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 AM
plumpzz

People be hating!

The track package includes brembo brakes. I find it odd that you found a track 350Z with leather seats. Thats not a normal combination.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
c6cmfall

Originally Posted by Raybrant
If it's his money, let him shop around for whatever he wants. Just let him know that before he buys to run it over with you just so you're informed on what he's doing.

I got my Z and said I was going to drive the car stock for a year then start modifying. Two months later, I dropped $1300 in the car in mods. It hasn't been a year yet and I have already spent $5000-ish in mods/parts. The mod bug hits and it doesn't get any better once you have it.

I wish my dad owned a C5 Z06 and let me drive it.
He has been shopping around and he really wants a WRX STI, but you can imagine what you get for 14k in that market.. Someone else beat and tired project.. But he like's the 370Z but out of his price range.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM
c6cmfall

Originally Posted by plumpzz
People be hating!

The track package includes brembo brakes. I find it odd that you found a track 350Z with leather seats. Thats not a normal combination.
But it was an option? I'm going to look at the car on Friday, from the photo's it has what look to be leather + electric seats..
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by c6cmfall
He has been shopping around and he really wants a WRX STI, but you can imagine what you get for 14k in that market.. Someone else beat and tired project.. But he like's the 370Z but out of his price range.
Yes you don't want somebody's dumb Subaru for 14k. People who own Subarus (I'm generalizing here...) are generally young guys who want to be Ken Block.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do people keep insisting the Z is difficult to drive? The Z is nowhere more difficult to drive than a corolla. Question is if driver is mature enough to drive and not go all Tokyo drift n showing off crashing into a pole.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by Deteria
Why do people keep insisting the Z is difficult to drive? The Z is nowhere more difficult to drive than a corolla. Question is if driver is mature enough to drive and not go all Tokyo drift n showing off crashing into a pole.
Oh no?

You're telling me the learning curve on the Z is the same as a Corolla? Unless I'm a total n00b, I found the clutch on the Z a bunch more finicky than that of a Corolla or Miata. I still haven't even mastered how to drive the thing in terms of giving it the exact amount of gas to get out of 1st gear while keeping it under 1k, rev-matching and heel-toe while I was able to pick that stuff up easily on other cars within a week or two.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybrant
Exactly what I am thinking. We see plenty of

My dad is going to buy me a 350Z

threads. Usually dad is tied to the car someway. Dad pays for car - son makes payments to dad. Title in dads name - son drives car. Multi-vehicle insurance policy - son is not primary Z driver.

But this is a bit of a flip. Dad advising son on purchase of "his" 350Z. With respect something here is fishy.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I recall 05 Track Package Z'sd had the oil burning 300 HP REV-UP engine. I also dont think leather was ever an option in a Track package. You might have a 35th AV on your hands. Brembos, leather, etc. And being a 6MT it does have the Rev up too.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebase99
From what I recall 05 Track Package Z'sd had the oil burning 300 HP REV-UP engine. I also dont think leather was ever an option in a Track package. You might have a 35th AV on your hands. Brembos, leather, etc. And being a 6MT it does have the Rev up too.
I've got an '05 Track with the RevUp -- no oil burning issues here.

I don't deny that some people have had problems, in some cases more than one engine problem. However, it makes me wonder why some people have had the same problem on more than one engine while others have had *zero* problems.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
I've got an '05 Track with the RevUp -- no oil burning issues here.

I don't deny that some people have had problems, in some cases more than one engine problem. However, it makes me wonder why some people have had the same problem on more than one engine while others have had *zero* problems.
oh i didnt mean ALL them (REV-UP), just the very small % do have issue with the RU motor.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 Track package is a good car to buy, no tire feathering issues that the 2003-2004 had, and no oil consumption problems that plagued the 2006. Comes with rays wheels and brembo brakes so it's well equipped in the factory form. Mileage is also low so that's a plus, about the $14k asking price, if it looks immaculate it's a good starting point for sure.

If your son has even just driven your z06 the 350z will feel like a civic so he should not have any problems......Most Z's are auto and driven by women people.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Lil Tones

Originally Posted by plumpzz
People be hating!

You're right. That's exactly what I though when I bought mine. I have an 2004.5 Track with leather. Non powered/heated though.

Quick Reply: 05 350Z with Track package