2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What was your Close Encounter....2 close 4 comfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
t0rqu3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
^ you two know each other?

I395 North Bound headed to King Street West.

the exit ramp rises as its a slight right. at the crest it goes left and declines greatly until a brief straight then hairpin 180 degree incline right onto Seminary Road. Its by far my favorite exit of all times and I often conduct spirited exits.

Well this day it had rained that morning, so there was VERY LITTLE water on the roads as a hole. But this newly paved black top is straight up ice!

I hit the crest at a speed about 20mph slower than I normally take it because, im being "safe"

well as i crest over into the decline left, the rear slight out to the right. I counter quickly (no gas or brake), well then the road is super dry which flings the rear that is to my right back to my left even quicker! I perform this right and left down the ramp onto the straight. (all I can see is guard rails out my passengers side window and I need to go the OTHER direction in the 180 degree incline right hander.

I do all I can do and just counter steer, and apply a tab bit of gas.. The back in comes around as expected and the gas simply straightens the car out. Im talking like a car lenght before the 180. I smash the brakes because the car is straight and relatively flat, left of the brakes, turn the wheel and hope for the best.

by the time I opened my eyes I was around the 180 and on Seminary road.

I walk in the house and without a word my wife asks me..."what happened" I say nothing, she says "liar" I say I almost died like 4 times in one accident.

The exit ramp goes under Seminary so there are guard rails and railing on the outter (i395) side, so any impact would of been bad. I estimate I was going 50-55mph, until decelerating slightly but about 45 just before that 180!

I guess it showed on my face when I walked in.
Man glad ur okay. I like in Springfield and am familiar with area. We should meet up some time
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by go7roo7
I got two stories, also when I was stupid...

Driving my old Altima, I tried assslidding it in the rain behing a wendys( totally empty street, old abandoned buildings) slid buttt as im sliding, I noticed that some *******
parked a 18 wheeler along the curb, so in fear of getting turned into sidewalk meat, i countersteer, straight into the median, steer again,,,,and BAM!
left side of the car slams into the 4 inch tall sidewalk median. Bends all the arms/ rims, shocks on that side of the car...I replaced it all....

Second story kinda ended in victory as well as smelly pants.... took a 90 degree turn (normal speed) and rear tires slipped ( replace REAR TIRES OFTEN) annnd did like 2 turns, pulled the ebrake, and BAM! ended up on the road( in the seconds lane) facing traffic correctly...

MORAL: Dont drive stupid (me) and Replace rear Tires.
Man I can't imagine the look on the peoples face who watched you turn twice.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
1) On Champlain bridge in Montreal Cherokee swerved from passing lane in front of me when he saw his lane was closed. Bounched off tractor trailer in left lane then smoked a taurus in front of me. I was on the brakes the whole time and stopped about 3 inches from the wreck. Then I couldn't move, forward, and I just had to hope I didn't get rear ended before I could back out of there.

2) Snowstorm caused white out conditions near Owen Sound Ontario last year. Was driving slowly. Noticed vaque flashing lights and saw it was a fire truck and a fireman had two cars in front of me stopped. That's when I noticed rescue crews trying to get someone out of an over turned car in the ditch. I literally didn't have time to finish the sentence "There is no way in hell I'm stopping on the road here" I saw headlights coming up fast. I punched it and went through the snowbank on the right side of the road (Awd murano) The guy coming up didn't see anything, obliterated the caravan in front of me abd then ended up wedged against the fire truck.
Wow that is crazy. I guess 4WD do come handy
Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by killnine
Ok, so the best story happened to me on my motorcycle at a track day. I had an 06 SV650s. I was riding around the track as usual. Had a decent time going and everything. I get to a little sweeper that I can usually take at pretty high speeds. I'm right at the apex of the turn and I here a quick grinding noise and my engine revs go up. It was around that time I noticed the back wheel of the bike was no longer behind me, but directly to my right from losing traction completely. So I'm now massively drifting this corner on a motorcycle, and what you're supposed to do (when you're not THAT good of a rider) is grab a handful of throttle, lowside the bike and slide off the track in your leathers mostly unharmed. The thing you're NOT supposed to do is duck out of the throttle.....so I roll off the throttle and the rear suddenly hooks up with the ground, shoots back underneath me and launches me about 3 feet up above the bike in the process. I'm still hanging on the the grips and I manage to pull myself back down, tuck in for the straight and pass 2 bikes in the next two turns. THAT'S when I realized I almost got thrown off my bike at 85+mph and pitted.

Turns out that grinding noise was my chain snapping off 5 teeth from the rear sprocket. The chain slipped and grabbed quick after causing the wheel to lose traction. Moral is, ALWAYS go over your vehicle before a track day and make sure it's properly prepped.
scary. I ride a R6 and man that sounds scary.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Raybrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abarclay

I mean...I'm sorry to hear about his death.
Lesson learned: Don't NARC on anybody.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
t0rqu3

my old Ninja 600RR back in 1999. Hampton, VA, Mercury Blvd Side road.

light wouldnt change because my bike was too light. I signalled to car behind me to move up a bit. finally after like 5 minutes in the summer heat the light changes. They guy still looked confused. So instead of taking my turn I felt compelled to explain my crazy acts at the light trying to get him to move up.

after I communicate effectively (we are driving like 5 mph) I decide to show off a bit, close the visor, clintch the bike and BOMB! Im off.

Next thing I see is the twisty road sign. No big deal, im a rider! I look down (daum 75mph) and slam the bike hard right... Then I see hard left... Ok, concerned but hey , im a rider, I got this... I slamm the bike left. At the midway point from being slammed right and headed to the left. I see this red flash that sort of looked like a stop sign... Hmm did that say stop!?

YES IT DID.

I am so far left that my elbow knee, the works in on the ground because now I am at a 4 lane road coming from the side. I have no choice but to pray I dont get splatted and hold the bike hard left!

im off the gas, but we all know, brakes at this angle is a HUGE no no! so im probably down to 45/50 mph and holding...

i cant turn fast enough to get into the lane and all i see is curb. I am pulling so hard on the bike trying to get it to go more left, but im at the max angle she'll take!

This is the crazy part.

My front wheel hits the curb, then my rear. Bike I laying down so hard that all the bike can do is stand right side up. It stands up and Im donig like 20mph in the right lane (the correct lane) like nothing ever happened.

I pull over like 30 feet down the road (over to the left)

this is when I realized that I just went across four lanes of traffic!

im shaking like a crack head on withdrawls.

I call my roomate and have him bring my F15 to pick me up.

As he pulls im im throwing up and shaking like a salt shaker.

we load it up and go home

one week to the day the bike was stolen.

I have NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT road a bike since!

man glad you did not get hurt.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
SLOPOS

First corner I ever took the rain spun me. Ended up about 2" from a curb on either side, butt cheeks squeezed harder than a nuns hoohaa.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM
samano1616

alright just two days ago im on my way to my friends house on a two lane road theres this im doing about 45mph nothin crazy this guy coming towards me on the other side of the road makes a left turn now instead of waiting for me to pass he jumps thinking he'll make it no problem but if i didnt slam on my brakes i would have railed the sh** out of him
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t0rqu3
Man glad ur okay. I like in Springfield and am familiar with area. We should meet up some time

im off Fanconia and Vandorn.

im always down, usually week days after 8pm is a good time to cruise. I usually head over the bridge though.

ill shoot you a PM when I get the car back. Should be on Sat.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM
burntZ

these were ~2 years & 500 laps apart

Last edited by burntZ; 01-18-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

scary. I ride a R6 and man that sounds scary.
DUDE!!!

Marilyn Drive area? I see an R6 all the time rolling through all the time!?!?!? Is that you?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Z IN8TOR

Just had one a couple weeks ago. Driving back north from indianapolis me and my buddy jake were in my Z. Slow car in the left lane driving same speed as car 2 lengths up in the right lane. I shot the gap in 3rd, right as I was about half way through switching the lane in between them I went to shift 4th and the high rpm I was at let me throw it into 2nd by mistake. A 100mph fishtale in between 2 cars within 5-10ft of me on the highway. I corrected it without over-correcting, and in the midst of powersliding I was able to get the car back to neutral, then to 5th, fortunately, but definately puckered up my pooper in the process.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM
t0rqu3

im off Fanconia and Vandorn.

im always down, usually week days after 8pm is a good time to cruise. I usually head over the bridge though.

ill shoot you a PM when I get the car back. Should be on Sat.
Sounds good. I will PM you my number.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by samano1616
alright just two days ago im on my way to my friends house on a two lane road theres this im doing about 45mph nothin crazy this guy coming towards me on the other side of the road makes a left turn now instead of waiting for me to pass he jumps thinking he'll make it no problem but if i didnt slam on my brakes i would have railed the sh** out of him
Hate it when people do that' glad your okay
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by burntZ

I bet you got tons of experience now Man the first video how fast were you going
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by Z IN8TOR
Just had one a couple weeks ago. Driving back north from indianapolis me and my buddy jake were in my Z. Slow car in the left lane driving same speed as car 2 lengths up in the right lane. I shot the gap in 3rd, right as I was about half way through switching the lane in between them I went to shift 4th and the high rpm I was at let me throw it into 2nd by mistake. A 100mph fishtale in between 2 cars within 5-10ft of me on the highway. I corrected it without over-correcting, and in the midst of powersliding I was able to get the car back to neutral, then to 5th, fortunately, but definately puckered up my pooper in the process.
If that happened to me, my knees would have kept shaking for 10 mins. Glad you did not loose your cool and gained control
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM
burntZ

I bet you got tons of experience now Man the first video how fast were you going
~125-130 (stock engine 04 z, got to 140 there before blowing up the engine with single rear mount turbo) before braking to ~90 to go past the entrance of the corner (where i lost it this time) then more braking to go around t17 part 2 and up the main straight of sebring

i had been having a lot of fun chasing an older vette around for 2 laps and he had pulled over to slow for the pits and my brain went on auto pilot [while i was calculating how many more laps i could run with gas left] and totally missed the proper braking and turning points - luckily missed the wall too. Did have to have a nice chat with the course manager about maintaining proper car control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlw3EOL5XA what sebring laps are supposed to look like (skip to 1:15 to get on track)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time i play Sebring on Forza i think "man those bumps would be hairy in real life"

Apparently i'm right.

Also props for keeping it on the track.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
burntZ

Originally Posted by moflow
Every time i play Sebring on Forza i think "man those bumps would be hairy in real life"

Apparently i'm right.

Also props for keeping it on the track.
I love Forza!

However either game cars are too fast or real cars (with me driving) are too slow.

I get a stock forza vw beetle laps=my real life 350z laps.

also game tracks are ~ 50% narrower then tracks IRL

[also forza turbo upgrades don't blow up!]

not always on track but never parked on a tire wall (like one porsche owner i know(who very carefully covered all parts of car with painters tape to keep rock chips off side mirrors etc, didn't really help in the end...))

once had to wait for a session to end to run out and pick up a rear splash guard knocked off while cross countrying around turns 13-14

hmmmmm, forza is a bit safer.....
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Raybrant

I love Forza!

However either game cars are too fast or real cars (with me driving) are too slow.

I get a stock forza vw beetle laps=my real life 350z laps.

also game tracks are ~ 50% narrower then tracks IRL

[also forza turbo upgrades don't blow up!]

not always on track but never parked on a tire wall (like one porsche owner i know(who very carefully covered all parts of car with painters tape to keep rock chips off side mirrors etc, didn't really help in the end...))

once had to wait for a session to end to run out and pick up a rear splash guard knocked off while cross countrying around turns 13-14

hmmmmm, forza is a bit safer.....
Lol... safer indeed...

Not really a close call but here's my track screw up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzdWIH29yi4

Quick Reply: What was your Close Encounter....2 close 4 comfort