Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

another one

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 08:24 PM
oscarmayer00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry another one

FYI - Funk was driving a Nissan 350Z south on Randall Road when he lost control and crossed the center median, colliding with a 2004 Jeep traveling north on Randall.

Is it the drivers or the Z?

Jacobs student dies in crash
BY KATE BRASER
STAFF WRITER

An 18-year-old Gilberts man died last week after a two-car accident Dec. 16 on Randall Road.

Arthur W. "Trey" Funk III was involved in the two-car accident Dec. 16 on Randall Road, south of County Line Road. The Algonquin Police Department responded to the accident at noon. Police said when they arrived at the scene, it was determined Funk had suffered severe injuries, and an "Air Angels" support helicopter was called to the scene.

Funk was transferred by helicopter to Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. Once at the hospital, Funk was listed in critical condition. He died Dec. 17.

Police said in a press release Funk was driving a Nissan 350Z south on Randall Road when he lost control and crossed the center median, colliding with a 2004 Jeep traveling north on Randall.

Funk was a senior at Algonquin's Jacobs High School.

Jacobs principal Linda Robinson said students remember Funk as someone who loved cars, was very personable, and had a great sense of humor.

"Everyone who knew Trey said he was such a wonderful person and loved life, lived it to the fullest," Robinson said.

The school held a moment of silence for Funk Dec. 17. Robinson said friends are planning other ways to honor his memory in coming weeks.

"This will be difficult with the holidays and us being out of school for two weeks but I think some of his friends want to put up a wall of remembrance or something where they can visibly share their memories of him," Robinson said.

The driver of the Jeep was Michael A. Vaughn, 45, Antioch. He was transported from the scene of the accident to St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin, where he was listed in stable condition.

Randall Road was closed for about two hours while the crash was investigated.

Following news of Funk's death, Algonquin Police Department's Sergeant Wade Merritt said the accident is still under investigation and no charges have been filed.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:38 PM
zeroday

its not the car. 18 is too young for most to have a powerful RWD car like the Z. hearing about this stuff just kills me. sad stuff.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:04 PM
FLY BY Z

anybody know if this was a member?
Old 12-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Sosa

Although I'm also 18, I do agree that a powerful rwd car isn't for everybody my age. This is my first rwd car, and it definitely takes a small while to get used to. I just send my prayers out to his family and friends and hopefully nothing like this will happen to any other Z'ers (let alone other motorists)
Old 12-25-2003, 09:55 PM
lemonjihwan

I'm 17 and I got a Z...-.-
I should becareful when I drive my Z.
You know, not all the teenagers are like that...
But that's sad.. he died in 350Z..
whenever I hear these kind of news,
It makes me drive my Z even more carefully...

Ji.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta say, last night i was driving the Z, and i went over some ice (i wasnt on the gas or brake), and once i got on the ice, the whole rear started to fish tail and i had regain control. Scary stuff, the 350z sucks in bad weather.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:13 AM
OBAN

Unhappy

What a terrible story.

[soapbox] When I was in HS the hot car the spoiled kids had was the IROC-Z28. 2 kids killed themelsves as well during my senior year. I'm baffled by the actions of some parents.ALL teenage boys drive like idiots. [/soapbox]
Old 12-26-2003, 05:21 AM
Montez

Sad story but its not only a powerful RWD car, teenagers without sufficient experience should not be behind the wheel of any powerful car FWD/RWD or AWD. They have a tendancy to speed and show out!
Old 12-26-2003, 05:56 AM
lemonjihwan

Not all of us...-__-"
Old 12-26-2003, 06:14 AM
z4ken

I lost a friend many, many years ago the same way. He had a 1981 Z28. He was making a parts run for his dads auto parts store, lost control, crossed the center divider and was hit head on by a 1956 Chevy. He wasnt racing, driving recklessly, just hydroplaned, and spun crossing the divider. Accidents happen to all age groups, we shouldnt be prejudiced because it happened to be a teenager, and the car was a Z.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:41 AM
gooters

This isnt the place for soapbox speaches.

A kid has died, so close to the holidays. We dont know the cause of the accident. Very sad...I feel for his parents.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:45 AM
rdballer

Age is not the only factor in accidents. I must say that when I was 18 (many years ago) my driving skills were far better than most on the road (but that's in CA and that's not hard to state).

It depends on the person. Several factors go into whether someone is capable of driving. Many non youth drivers violate the common sense rules too. "I've only had a couple of drinks", "I can keep my eyes open, because I'm not tired", "I won't have a problem driving in the pea soup fog at 75 MPH" are all things that many drivers do that are wrong (even in a Z).

I've been on the receiving end of conversations with drivers when they're in bad shape to drive. Taking someone's keys when they can't drive can be a challenge. I tend to the the sober driver for parties.

Common sense is the best tool that any driver of any age can use while driving. Even then we can come across conditions that will still cause accidents.

I feel for the parents of this child that has died (no matter why the accident occurred). My daughter is getting close to driving age too.

Be safe, sober and awake while driving!
Old 12-26-2003, 12:36 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by Reggi914
Scary stuff, the 350z sucks in bad weather.
Does the Z itself suck in bad weather, or is it the tires and/or the driver that suck in bad weather?

If you really think it's the car itself that causes it to lose control in bad weather, tell me - exactly what components of the CAR (not the tires) make it do that?

Last edited by dchengmd; 12-26-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Glasgow Smile
dat title

Originally posted by dchengmd
Does the Z itself suck in bad weather, or is it the tires and/or the driver that suck in bad weather?

If you really think it's the car itself that causes it to lose control in bad weather, tell me - exactly what components of the car make it do that?
Stock tires no likee bad weather.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:10 PM
marhot

Default My sympathies and condolences

One of my best friends died at age 18 in a head on accident, many, many years ago. By the grace of God I survived my teen years, I did many foolish things in cars. Fortunately my parents were wise enough to get me a VW bug (65HP) and that’s all I was allowed to drive. I’ve also had close family members to die in auto accidents.

Gooters you are correct, this isn’t the time or place for soapbox sermons. I do not mean this post to be one. However, this is a good time for ALL of us (an old man like me included) to reflect and remember what we all here drive. The Z is a high-powered, high-performance sports car. We ALL need to always respect the performance capabilities of this car. Sorry, but IMHO this car is too much for inexperienced drivers. Teenagers, no matter how mature, have no business behind the wheel of a Z. (Go ahead flame away.) Just my opinion.

Sorry, what a depressing post. I pray I never see another post like this again. I’ve seen too many on this forum in just the 9 months I’ve been here. Let’s all (me too) be careful out there.

I’ll be saying prayers for family.

Peace all.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:14 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by Bebopin Spike
Stock tires no likee bad weather.
I agree with you there. The stock tires are high-performance SUMMER tires. You'd think that people would understand that before going around whining about how poorly the Z drives in bad weather.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:02 PM
zzzya

TIRES!!!! The first mod everyone who lives in weather that dips into the 40s or they get rain should make is getting new tires. The stock tires are so bad in rain and cold weather that they are simply too dangerous. It should be illegal to allow tires like these to be sold on a vehicle. Such an easy fix to save people's lives. Most people just do not know enough about tires and brakes, and they are probably the most important safety features on the car that get neglected and abused.