Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline Octane

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:16 PM
topdown-z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

If you happen to live in the S.F. Bay Area, the 76 Union Station on Charter Way in Stocton sells 100 octane gas at the pump.

It costs about .30 more a gallon but.......it really gives my Z a kick in the ***.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:29 AM
samw1978

Always 94 Cheveron here
Old 01-07-2004, 07:10 AM
robho

Default Fuel to the Fire

Ya know,

I've read this thread on virtually every car forum I've ever been a member of. Lots and lots of cars "require" 91 octane or better these days, and lots and lots of people ask this same question.

And the response is always the same: "You wanted a performance car, now you need to pay for performance gasoline"

And then someone will undoubtedly (hasn't happened here yet) post the findings of the octane survey thingie that's so common on the 'net. They will mention how they've never put 91 in their vehicle, and have had no problems over x number of miles.

I've seen all of this many many times, from forums on the SVT Focus, to the Audi TT, to the Vette... etc.

What I have never seen is this:
I've never seen someone saying that they actually heard knocking and it was because they used midgrade or regular gasoline. I've never seen a dyno showing that midgrade or regular gasoline caused a loss of horsepower or torque. I've never seen a single problem, as a matter of fact, from someone using lower than 91 octane.

Why is that?
Old 01-07-2004, 07:53 AM
03 Z for ME

Default Re: Fuel to the Fire

Originally posted by robho
Ya know,

I've never seen someone saying that they actually heard knocking and it was because they used midgrade or regular gasoline. I've never seen a dyno showing that midgrade or regular gasoline caused a loss of horsepower or torque. I've never seen a single problem, as a matter of fact, from someone using lower than 91 octane.

Why is that?
Well, I can tell you for certain, in my '69 Camaro that I used to have as a drag car, I got a LOT less hp and torque when using 94 Ultra instead of 101 Racing Blue...

I know I'm not talking about the Z here but Gas DOES make a difference.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:37 PM
robho

Default Re: Re: Fuel to the Fire

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
Well, I can tell you for certain, in my '69 Camaro that I used to have as a drag car, I got a LOT less hp and torque when using 94 Ultra instead of 101 Racing Blue...

I know I'm not talking about the Z here but Gas DOES make a difference.

You are also talking about 101 Octane racing fuel vs. standard consumer fuel. And you are talking about a race car... I don't doubt that lower octane (on an engine that's setup for higher) will result in lower power output, but I haven't ever seen any hard evidence, and I certainly don't think that it'd matter on ANY car on the road as far as daily driving. You'll still have enough power to smoke that Civic Si... if ya know what I mean...

By the way - was your Camaro setup to run Leaded?
Old 01-07-2004, 04:59 PM
vic grant

I've finished mowing my grass with pure Gumout...so what, if you don't want to buy the fuel the car is designed for don't buy the car.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:41 AM
funkymonkey1111

Anyone know where to find 93 octane in Denver?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:03 AM
touring

"Don't confuse me with the facts, my minds already made up". Seems still the sentiment here. Spending more than whats necessary does seem to, well, make you feel special. I guess.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:21 AM
funkymonkey1111

I think the "studies" show you do not get a benefit from using high octane gas in vehicles rated for 87. That's entirely different from a manufacturer rating a car for 91.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:22 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by touring
"Don't confuse me with the facts, my minds already made up". Seems still the sentiment here. Spending more than whats necessary does seem to, well, make you feel special. I guess.
Nope, but what is special is the engine. Don't shortchange it on octane or you could cause engine damage.

WayneTN
Old 01-08-2004, 08:21 PM
vic grant

naw, it want hurt the motor, the computer will take care of that. What will happen is he will be outran by other z's and think he got a monday engine...
Old 01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Subbacultcha

Default Re: Fuel to the Fire

Originally posted by robho

I've never seen someone saying that they actually heard knocking and it was because they used midgrade or regular gasoline.

As mentioned before, the car's computer will retard the engine timing to compensate for the lower octane gas, which PREVENTS THE KNOCKING. The report that tells you to go as low as you go until you hear knocking obviously doesn't consider the fact that the computer will sacrifice performance to prevent the knocking, or maybe it was written before car computers were sophisticated enough to do so.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:15 AM
MySunset350Z

nothing lower then 93 for my Z, 94 for track days.

quick question, most cars run slightly lean towards the top end right?

now lets say i put in 87 octane, would that make me run more lean then if i was running 93 octane?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:46 PM
dnguyent

Default 87 Octane should be completely fine.

I'm going to resurrect a really old thread here due to my recent findings.

I just learned that the '06 G35 sedan and coupe, both in 6MT (298hp) and Auto (280hp) require REGULAR unleaded fuel. The '06 350Z's still "require" PREMIUM unleaded fuel. Now, I'm pretty sure the engine and chips are quite the same, and the hp figures are purely a marketing tactic.

What is so different about the 350z engine that would require premium unleaded whereas the same engine in the Infiniti would not?

In any case, I've been running 87 octane for the past month, and I get the same mileage and no signs of knocking. I'll continue to run 87 octane on public roads, and will revert to 91/92 for DE days.

Originally Posted by robho
Ya know,

I've read this thread on virtually every car forum I've ever been a member of. Lots and lots of cars "require" 91 octane or better these days, and lots and lots of people ask this same question.

And the response is always the same: "You wanted a performance car, now you need to pay for performance gasoline"

And then someone will undoubtedly (hasn't happened here yet) post the findings of the octane survey thingie that's so common on the 'net. They will mention how they've never put 91 in their vehicle, and have had no problems over x number of miles.

I've seen all of this many many times, from forums on the SVT Focus, to the Audi TT, to the Vette... etc.

Why is that?

Last edited by dnguyent; 01-05-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
barthelb
Master

Treat your car to 91 and drink 1 less Starbucks. You only save 4 bucks a fill up. No point!

4x4=16
16x12months=192
192x5yrs=960

With the money saved you can get nismo headers and almost install it woo hooo. NOT!~
Old 01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by dnguyent

I just learned that the '06 G35 sedan and coupe, both in 6MT (298hp) and Auto (280hp) require REGULAR unleaded fuel. The '06 350Z's still "require" PREMIUM unleaded fuel. Now, I'm pretty sure the engine and chips are quite the same, and the hp figures are purely a marketing tactic.

What is so different about the 350z engine that would require premium unleaded whereas the same engine in the Infinity would not?

In any case, I've been running 87 octane for the past month, and I get the same mileage and no signs of knocking. I'll continue to run 87 octane on public roads, and will revert to 91/92 for DE days.

LOL i didnt know infinity G's are regular octane...
That is really really wacky
Yes the G and Z share the same platform but the Z is rated as sports performance coupe class..
maybe thats why ... its like a mental thing
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 PM
ZZ33bOI

Originally Posted by MyZ4U2C
I would NEVER use 87 octane in this car.
+11111111
Old 01-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dnguyent

What is so different about the 350z engine that would require premium unleaded whereas the same engine in the Infinity would not?

A completely different mapping for a car is one flash away !

Now guys, you will NEVER hear your engine knock on regular fuel. Simply because the knock sensor (basically a pretty sensitive microphone) will detect mild knocking way before you hear it. Like someone said, if you hear it, your engine is REALLY hurt.

If you want, unplug the knock sensor and ground it to the engine. You will render it def. Now, go and have fun with regular fuel and ping ping ! You’ll hear it (and hurt your engine)

Originally Posted by robho
Funny you ask that. Go to your favorite import magazine store and get the January issue of EVO (UK edition, Car of the Year). They just ran a couple tests on different fuel type with dyno runs. More power to the higher octane…

I’m really tired of these stupid Octane discussions. Put whatever crap you want in your engines. Most people don’t have a clue about how car stuff works but still think they know more than the other guy (who sometime works in that particular field…).

Have a nice day
Old 01-05-2006, 02:04 PM
dnguyent

The mental thing is certainly working.

To most, the savings are minimal. But, this kind of thinking and savings habit is what makes the "millionaire-next-door" when you apply it to all facets of your wallet.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:32 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by Kolia
If you want, unplug the knock sensor and ground it to the engine. You will render it def. Now, go and have fun with regular fuel and ping ping ! You’ll hear it (and hurt your engine)
You did this, Kolia? You're a madman.

I don't find these discussions stupid, but then again, this is my first time going through this, while it may be your eighteenth. In most cases, I have faith in following the users manual, but there are recommendations that are based on marketing and fulfilling certain government standards. Such as, suggested shift points to meet EPA mileage estimates. Nobody shifts into 6th at 33 mph...I've tried, but it's downright wacko.

I merely brought up a point that nobody has picked up on; that being the G35 coupe's engine is practically identical to the Z. Mapping the two cars differently makes very little sense, but I cannot dispel that possibiltiy either. I would not have made an argument, whether to use regular vs premium, if it wasn't for this discrepancy that Nissan Corp seem to have introduced.

If mapping was the case, I think I'd rather have the 298hp/260tq that runs on regular than the 300hp/260tq that runs on premium.

Quick Reply: Gasoline Octane