Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

As If its not bad enough driving in snow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 05:10 AM
wildone_106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry As If its not bad enough driving in snow...

You gotta watch out for those jackass M*TH*ER F*U****S in trucks/jeeps/suburu's who thinks its fun to tail gate you doin 35 on the freeway bcus they think its "FUN">?? Perhaps?! BUt I HAD to do just that on 520 this mornin in Seattle bcus of the snow and its not like its deep but has ice under it, I almost lost it twice while all the time some dudes in a big truck sat not 15 feet from my ***..what where they thinking? If there in such a rush just pass me bcus there was no way Im gonna go any faster..I could feel those wheels barely gripping.

Eventually I DID spin out 180 on a street and another person in a Jeep was barely able to stop as they were so close, they drove off "Angrily" at my mis fortune.. luckily no one was in the other lane or I woulda been toast but I had to park my car in a lot about 10 mins away from where I work.
It just stupifys the idiotic drivers here and to any Z's in this area I urge you not to attempt driving in this weather its the scariest thing I've done in a long time..
Old 01-06-2004, 07:30 AM
WayneTN

Default Re: As If its not bad enough driving in snow...

Originally posted by wildone_106
I urge you not to attempt driving in this weather its the scariest thing I've done in a long time..
Have you driven other rear-wheel drive cars on snowy streets? If so, I'm just wondering how the Z compares (if you don't punch it and really take it as easy as you can).

I've had my Z for over a year now, but haven't had it out in the snow, driving the beater when it's really slick.

Thanks,
WayneTN
Old 01-06-2004, 07:36 AM
wildone_106

I had a 99 Mustang before, it feels worse to drive in these conditions probably because it has more power to the wheels and Im sure other factors.
I certainly was'nt punching it, feathering the throttle and not touchin the brakes I could feel the wheels ready to break lose at any moment, I lost it on a very gentle curve which may have had a slight gradient but I was barely moving and I was 180'ing. I do have those POS tires which makes it even worse, not the snow blizzacks so those might make a big difference too. At any rate if u value your Z and your life..its not worth the risk man
Old 01-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Beamm

Dude, it's not just in the snow either. SUV drivers are freakin nuts around my car. Last nite friends and I were out driving to get some wings. We all pulled up at a red light on US1 where it's 3 lanes each direction and 3 of the 4 of us pulled up on the line (it was me, a wrangler and Jetta VR6) and they both yelled across to me they wanted to see how fast my car was. So I launched and ran up to 50 MPH (5 over speed limit at that spot) and then slowed down to wait for my friends who I'd just smoked. They pull up and give me the thumbs up, then a freakin explorer sport runs up on my *** and proceeds to follow me. I'm in the right lane and need to get to the middle lane to drive around a car that is going to turn (I assume since nobody knows what a turn signal is here in Miami). I signal and he floors the explorer and tries to get up around me as I'm coming across. So I have to gun it hard. He then proceeds to tail me or get in my blind spot as we're driving through traffic. I don't know what his deal was but he almost caused a ton of wrecks trying to follow me and my friends, what an idiot he was driving his car very dangerously just to try and prove something?? I don't get it. Saddest part of it was that earlier that nite in almost the same place there was a huge wreck involving a ton of cars...some ricemobile (dunno what it was it was so destroyed) had actually seperated at the B pillar on the right side of the car...it was hit by an SUV (dunno whose fault it was but it was damn ugly).

Then nite before last I'm coming off of Fisher Island from dinner so I'm on 495 from Miami Beach. There was this girl in an Escalade next to me on the ferry and now she's in the middle lane (i'm in left) and 3 or 4 lengths behind me. I'm not passing so I wanna get out of left lane and signal my change. Next thing I know she's flooring the Caddy so she can burn past me. WTF? Why would you do that? Had I not checked my blind spot twice she woulda run right over me.

I just don't get why I run into more SUV drivers who are aggressive/try to race me/try to tail me than other drivers. The SUV drivers are least able to drive like the Z and when they do try to do it they're creating the biggest danger

Glad you weren't hit man, stay safe out there.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:52 AM
ahendler

You have to have snow tires to drive safely in snow. The stock tires get hard as a rock and offer no traction at all. I'm driving my Z in the snow here in Chicago with 4 Blizzaks and everything is fine. You still need to be cautious. I had a s2000 and it was the same thing. You had to have snow tires
Old 01-06-2004, 07:52 AM
wildone_106

I've had that experience alot too with SUV's, they get extremely pissed for some reason when your not even doing anything. No one forced them to buy those freeking big wastes of gasoline.
I had a Porche Cheyene SUV at a red light with me the other day, again it was kinda sleeting and icy and I was'nt intending to go fast, the light changes and I accerated normally if a little slower, next thing I hear is "RRRRrrrrvrooommm" and this C*CK in his cheyenne whips past me, then slows to a pace about a 2 cars ahead in his lane like he just "proved" something to his wifey/girlfriend sittin next to him, WHATEVER...I love how driving brings out the base behaviours in people and just how primitive our minds still are, they're doin the same things gorrilla's do in the jungle, posturing and asserting dominance in their own little minds..
Old 01-06-2004, 07:54 AM
wildone_106

Yea I figured as much, snow is fairly rare in the Seattle suburbs so Im hoping it wont last long, thats why I did'nt install Blizzaks but I wish I had them this morning! Well I guess Im living at work till it melts heh

Originally posted by ahendler
You have to have snow tires to drive safely in snow. The stock tires get hard as a rock and offer no traction at all. I'm driving my Z in the snow here in Chicago with 4 Blizzaks and everything is fine. You still need to be cautious. I had a s2000 and it was the same thing. You had to have snow tires
Old 01-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Alang

I was driving home from skiing several years ago in an '85 MR2. I was driving down the highway from Brianhead Utah. It had been snowing all night. The right lane was pretty well plowed, but it was still snowing and an MR2 on summer tires just wasn't ment to be in the snow. I had a honda accord riding my *** for miles. I would try to go faster, by as soon as I would top 35, the car would just come unglued, so 30 mph it was. Finally he passed me in the unplowed left lane. He was sliding and spinning the whole way. Well he was able to go about 5 mph faster than I was. Big whoop. Funny thing was 3 miles down the road, there he was spun into a ditch on the side of the road as I drove past at 30 mph and waved (if I had stopped I never would have gotten off the shoulder again, and there was someone else there already). So in order to get 10 minutes ahead of me, he was now going to be hours longer and tow fees lighter. I hope he felt it was worth it.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seattle is a madhouse today. I've watched about 3 inches fall in the last 2 hours. I tried to take the Z out the other day when it had just dropped about an inch and it was insane. The tires just suck rocks on snow -- and I grew up in the Rockies. No amount of electronic trickery will make up for those hockey pucks called RE040s in the snow!

And I'm not buying snow tires because Seattle actually decides to have serious snow for a week for the first time in 15 years!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:29 AM
wildone_106

Yep its no joke, dont risk it till its completely thawed!

Originally posted by Rahtok
Seattle is a madhouse today. I've watched about 3 inches fall in the last 2 hours. I tried to take the Z out the other day when it had just dropped about an inch and it was insane. The tires just suck rocks on snow -- and I grew up in the Rockies. No amount of electronic trickery will make up for those hockey pucks called RE040s in the snow!

And I'm not buying snow tires because Seattle actually decides to have serious snow for a week for the first time in 15 years!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:43 PM
ChicagoG35c

It is VERY EASY to get in an accident on the summers if the temp is below 40 (whether there is snow or not).
Old 01-06-2004, 03:34 PM
jor8888

After testing my new pilot sports a/s tires on 2 inches of snow in Chicago which still very slippery because of the rear 275 tires. I put another 100lbs of sand bags in the trunk so now I have 200 lbs of weight pushing down on the rear to make the traction better.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my BMW in the snow about a month ago and i will never do it again. I can only imagine how bad the 350Z is.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:27 PM
cwerdna

I haven't dared drive my Z in almost a week here in the Seattle area for fear of it suddenly snowing and me getting stuck. The RE040s by virtually all accounts on this forum and http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....h=true&index=1 is unusuable in the snow.

My friend in the area w/an RX-8 has the same tires and he got snow tires just in the nick of time.

I've been driving my Max around instead since it's FWD and has tires (Goodyear Eagle RS-A) that aren't rated unacceptable / n/a in snow.

It was still very scary today in the slush/ice at around 9 pm even in my Max. I didn't go more than 20 mph or so on the streets and ABS was really easy to trip.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Sharp

wildone_106: Do your car have VDC? Because, if you do, it should allow you to drive in snow just fine? Or, am I missing the point?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:10 AM
cwerdna

Originally posted by Sharp
wildone_106: Do your car have VDC? Because, if you do, it should allow you to drive in snow just fine? Or, am I missing the point?
Does it snow where you're at in South Africa and turn icy once the snow melts? I don't think VDC is even a 1/2 way decent substitute for snow tires. If you don't get any traction, you're screwed.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Sharp

Nope - It NEVER EVER snow here. I've seen it once; when I was a boy. Snow to me, is a mystic legend...
Old 01-07-2004, 08:21 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

My Z is snug as a bug in a rug, hanging out in the garage for the next 4 months -- I HATE F**Kin' winter !

For all you people who don't know what snow is...don't move to PA unless you want to find out !
Old 01-07-2004, 08:40 AM
mofoz

i was gonna install a ton of parts on my Z and my gf's house, with her bro who's a mechanic, and of course thats the day when it snows 5inches. I was so pissed, but i knew the drive would kill my baby. So now i have a nismo exhaust in his garage, and my injen intake, z-xtreme grounding kit, tanabe springs, and clear corners all sitting in the trunk waiting to go on. Hopefully this sunday i can get this shizzo on.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:56 PM
ztropic

That's rough....I slid on some sand by the beach the other day! :-)

Quick Reply: As If its not bad enough driving in snow...