Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

To Z or not to Z, That is the question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Nothing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't arguing about heated seats... just the actual leather. I don't consider the Z a car suitable for driving in the winter and thus the heated seats are a waste.

When comparing the Touring to the Track I think the definitive answer is that the Track is better, regardless of your subjective wants.

What the Touring has that the Track doesn't:

1. A crappy sound system that you pay extra for
2. Leather seats that you can/should get aftermarket on Track
3. Heated seats that are useless unless you drive a 287 hp rwd sports car in the winter ????
4. Power seats that are pointless... there is no back seat that people will be getting in and out of and most Z drivers don't play well with others when it comes to sharing (driving their Z). Plus the mechanics make the car heavier.
5. Crappy wheels (compared to Track)
6. Crappy breaks (compared to Track)
7. No standard areodynamics package

...given all that... does it really make sense to get a Touring vs. the Track? ...only if you want an automatic.
N.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Chris S27

$2000 difference!
Old 01-09-2004, 08:23 PM
350zWhite04

YOU MUST DO THE Z~!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:03 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by Nothing
I wasn't arguing about heated seats... just the actual leather. I don't consider the Z a car suitable for driving in the winter and thus the heated seats are a waste.

When comparing the Touring to the Track I think the definitive answer is that the Track is better, regardless of your subjective wants.

What the Touring has that the Track doesn't:

1. A crappy sound system that you pay extra for
2. Leather seats that you can/should get aftermarket on Track
3. Heated seats that are useless unless you drive a 287 hp rwd sports car in the winter ????
4. Power seats that are pointless... there is no back seat that people will be getting in and out of and most Z drivers don't play well with others when it comes to sharing (driving their Z). Plus the mechanics make the car heavier.
5. Crappy wheels (compared to Track)
6. Crappy breaks (compared to Track)
7. No standard areodynamics package

...given all that... does it really make sense to get a Touring vs. the Track? ...only if you want an automatic.
N.
please try to avoid the word 'crappy' when referring to options that many here have and enjoy. despite what you said it most definitely is a matter of opinion. There is nothing 'definitive' or obvious about the track being 'better'. It depends on your wants/needs. Also, the stock brakes are not crappy. They stop just as fast as the brembos. You'd likely only notice a difference if you were to track the car...the stockers will fade more under repeated heavy braking. As for the heated power seats, the weight added is negligable. Someone posted weight diffs for leather vs. stock but i can't find it..in any case i would never buy a car without features like leather and heated power seats..but then again i am not a 'racer' so YMMV. I drive my Z in the winter often, as many here do, even though I have a volvo s80 as a winter car. The aerodynamics package will be thrown in for free in most cases but last I checked it wasn't standard on any model? The wheels are great for stock (18's); many including myself prefer them to the rays; looks wise. makes the wheel look bigger and more like the concept z. they really aren't all that much heavier. either way, almost everybody ends up changing them anyway regardless of what you get.

the only thing i will agree with you on is the bose. although it sounds much better than my buddy's harmon karmon upgrade in his old 330ci so coming from a bimmer i think youd be fine. bimmer stereos are crappy...haha j/k.

Last edited by zeroday; 01-10-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Chris S27

thanks guys...i'm not sure i'm all that much closer to a decision really.... But I'll get there. I called all the dealers near me yesterday and located a few 6 speeds that I'll be test driving on Wednesday. That will be the deciding factor overall, and how much I can get for my M via trade-in or private sale!

OT, Zero....what wing is on your car? Stillen?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:20 AM
archman350z

CHRIS S27, My only recommendation is that you go ahead with that test drive. That's what sealed the deal for me. I've told other people this and most of them later agreed: the Z has a lot of character that doesn't translate into numbers. I can't explain it, but when I drive it, it just all seems "right".

BTW: some local instructors here at the track were lucky enough for me to hand the keys over. Apparently, the Z has less understeer than the M3. All said and done, they couldn't choose which car they would rather have. I took that as a compliment since I highly regard the M3 and M5.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Nothing

The aerodynamics package is standard on the Track. My point is clear, the Track can have everything the Touring has except power / heated seats which are arguably a waste, and it comes with much better breaks and wheels. The Track is the wise decision. NEENER NEENER!!!

N.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:10 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Touring with Aero package. Love it...would not trade it for the Track. Leather & Heated seats, plus my wheels look better. ;-) The Track has better brakes, but i dont race my car so i dont care.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Chris S27

hey now fellas, i never intended for this to become a debate over whose Z is better than whose. so lets play nice!

One more question.....when folks have gone to buy....how close to the MSRP that I see on the nissan site have folks been getting cars for? MSRP, less, more?
Old 01-11-2004, 03:52 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by Chris S27
OT, Zero....what wing is on your car? Stillen?
yep, stillen type 1.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 AM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Bose in my car sounds fantastic.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Nothing

Usually get about $1,000 - $2,000 off MSRP unless you can really deal... it's winter and Z sales are slowing... you could get close to invoice if you shop hard and tell them they're making money at invoice (on the holdback) regarless... not much work for them to do but sell you the car.
N.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Chris S27

Originally posted by Nothing
Usually get about $1,000 - $2,000 off MSRP unless you can really deal... it's winter and Z sales are slowing... you could get close to invoice if you shop hard and tell them they're making money at invoice (on the holdback) regarless... not much work for them to do but sell you the car.
N.
So, a touring could be had for about 31 to 32 or so? Not included taxes, fees, and all that junk? Depending on options chosen, of course.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Chris S27

Originally posted by zeroday
yep, stillen type 1.
got anymore pics of it? And are your wheels the standard wheels that come with the touring? 18's?

Excuse my ignorance...i'm new to the Z scene, as I said!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Mikestro

Here are the prices of Z's at a no haggle dealership in San Diego.

http://www.mossynissan.com/list.asp?model=350z

The cheapest Touring is $31295.

Last edited by Mikestro; 01-11-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:18 AM
zeroday

got anymore pics of it? And are your wheels the standard wheels that come with the touring? 18's?

Excuse my ignorance...i'm new to the Z scene, as I said!
yeah mine are the standard 18's on the touring model...here's some pics:

these are big so i linked them:
http://photos.imageevent.com/zeroday...3-0334_IMG.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/zeroday...2-0298_IMG.JPG

Last edited by zeroday; 01-11-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Chris S27

Wow, zero... I was tettering on the edge of Silverstone or Daytona.... I love both....but those pics of yours may have tipped the balance....I love that combo, what is that called? Cinnamon or something? Any interior shots for me to check out?
Old 01-11-2004, 11:04 AM
zeroday

Wow, zero... I was tettering on the edge of Silverstone or Daytona.... I love both....but those pics of yours may have tipped the balance....I love that combo, what is that called? Cinnamon or something? Any interior shots for me to check out?
no prob..it's the 'burnt orange' leather interior btw:

Old 01-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Chris S27

wow, awesome. It's very similar to an interior I had in my first M3... It's was called Modena Natura... I absolutely LOVED that interior!
Old 01-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Chris S27

hmmm, are sunroofs not an option on Z's?

Quick Reply: To Z or not to Z, That is the question....