Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

To Z or not to Z, That is the question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Chris S27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Z or not to Z, That is the question....

HELPPPPP! I currently own a 98 Cosmos Black M3. It's served me well over the years, and I've always been a devout BMW enthusiast. Always will be, I'm sure. With that said, I had always loved the Z cars, TT and such. The new one has always had my eye, I must admit. So, I'm at a cross-roads....do I keep my M3, whose value is down....and Supercharge it....? Or do I take the plunge, sell it and get into a Daytona Blue or Chrome Silver Z?

I need opinions here folks.... Why or why not...? Please don't bash my M3, that's not what I'm looking for here....just the positives and/or negatives about making such a switch is really what I'm interested in hearing from you guys...

thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 AM
FairladyZ

I think you came here to assure yourself in taking the plunge. "just do it"
Old 01-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Sosa

The cars are VERY different -- the Z won't ride as well and isn't as luxurious as your ///M, but I do think the Z is faster and more fun to drive in every aspect. The M is a luxury car, and just know that you'll lose just about every bit of luxury (from ride quality to interior etc...) if you switch to the Z. I'd say if you get a good chunk of change for your m3, go ahead and switch, but if the resale is shi**y, then just stick with what you have.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Dissolved

Hit and miss my man. I think you should keep the M3. The majority of BMW owners who currently own 350z's, do nothing but complain on 350z forums (stereo, rattling, service, etc etc). Nothing against you, as I don't know you. Just go test drive one. Pay attention carefully to road noise, etc...Stuff most people miss due to the "wow factor" of the Z

Oh yea, the Z is a f***ing blast to drive and leaves a shlt eating grin on my face everytime
Old 01-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Chris S27

nooooot quite FairladyZ. I really came here to learn more about the car itself. I haven't even driven one yet, I'm sure that will be the deciding factor. I love the way my M3 drives and what it's capable of with minor mods... Question is, will the allure of a "new car feel" win me over....and how does it stack up in the driving excitement department!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:04 AM
FairladyZ

You will love the drive its ready for the tack outta the box. Best thing to do is like you said, test drive one.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:01 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get a Touring Model, im not sure what luxury items you will be missing from the Bimmer other than the ride. You get Navigation, Leather, Heated Seats, Power seats, Windows, Locks, Heated mirrors, Bose 6 CD changer, Multi-function computer monitoring outside air temp, tire pressure, RPM limiter, Fuel-distance to empty. What other gadgets are there?
Old 01-08-2004, 05:09 PM
ZON

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
If you get a Touring Model, im not sure what luxury items you will be missing from the Bimmer other than the ride. You get Navigation, Leather, Heated Seats, Power seats, Windows, Locks, Heated mirrors, Bose 6 CD changer, Multi-function computer monitoring outside air temp, tire pressure, RPM limiter, Fuel-distance to empty. What other gadgets are there?
Nav is an option you can get with any model Z.

Newer M3's are faster yet more refined in ride than 350Z. But 350Z is a true sports car & fun to mod & you can get it up to par with M3 HP for some dollars. Go turbo mod and you will rate big time. I wish I had the dough.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:23 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah i know the Nav is an option with any model, but if the dude is complaining about the Bimmer having way more luxury than the Z, Get the Touring Model with Nav and there's not much else to be disired...item-wise.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:08 PM
NzZ

Default umm....

Have you driven an E46 M3? I think they're great cars...but they ride every bit as stiffy if not more so than a Z. Esp when equipped with the 19s.

NzZ

Originally posted by throbbing_Zon
Nav is an option you can get with any model Z.

Newer M3's are faster yet more refined in ride than 350Z. But 350Z is a true sports car & fun to mod & you can get it up to par with M3 HP for some dollars. Go turbo mod and you will rate big time. I wish I had the dough.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:26 AM
Chris S27

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
Yeah i know the Nav is an option with any model, but if the dude is complaining about the Bimmer having way more luxury than the Z, Get the Touring Model with Nav and there's not much else to be disired...item-wise.
I don't think i was "complaining" persay...or I didn't mean to come across that way, I was simply comparing. Along with many other positives about the M3, there in NOTHING lacking with the interior... Awesome contoured sport seats, heated, power, etc etc...

My concern with the Z interior is just that it's a little bare looking....kinda bland. Not a whole lot going on in there. Is leather difficult to get, i didn't even see an option for it on the nissan webpage?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Nothing

I think you can get leather on all the trims except Track... but dealers can get you the leather for about $800 - $900. Here's one positive you could think about... everyone has a BMW. I live in Chicago... you live in NY... it's the same. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc... bust out with a 350Z and be unique. The exterior design of the 350Z if much better than the M3. Also, unless you are a track or street racer, the power put out by the Z is more than you'll ever need in any normal driving situation... unless you like running from the cops . I think if you get nav and replace the sound system, the Z can be every bit as cool of an interior as the BMW... it's a refined sports car.

Okay, that was just my $02.

N.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:29 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by Nothing
I think you can get leather on all the trims except Track... but dealers can get you the leather for about $800 - $900. Here's one positive you could think about... everyone has a BMW. I live in Chicago... you live in NY... it's the same. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc... bust out with a 350Z and be unique. The exterior design of the 350Z if much better than the M3. Also, unless you are a track or street racer, the power put out by the Z is more than you'll ever need in any normal driving situation... unless you like running from the cops . I think if you get nav and replace the sound system, the Z can be every bit as cool of an interior as the BMW... it's a refined sports car.

Okay, that was just my $02.

N.
some misinformation here. factory leather is only an option on the touring model. they are heated leather seats, some with an airbag built in. the leather packages sold at dealers are leather seat covers. the fit won't ever be as good as the factory leather seat and of course there is no heater.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:35 AM
zeroday

my buddy just traded his 02' bmw 330ci for a super black touring 6mt and he loves it. i love the e36 m3 so i can understand your dilemna. as long as you're not one of those 'grass is always greener' people I think you will be happy moving from the m3 to the Z. you wil definitely miss some aspects of the m3 though... interior of e-36 m3>interior of the Z IMO...even with leather...and the BMW has a more 'solid' feel...not that the Z feels flimsy at all it's just the difference between a Japanese car and a German car.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Inova

it's better to supercharge a low mileage car than your 98 m3

i wanted to get a 98 m3 sedan but i only had the option of a new car

even so, the z is just a little faster than ur 98 m3, and mods on the will be significantly cheaper.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Chris S27

Originally posted by zeroday
some misinformation here. factory leather is only an option on the touring model. they are heated leather seats, some with an airbag built in. the leather packages sold at dealers are leather seat covers. the fit won't ever be as good as the factory leather seat and of course there is no heater.
So am i to understand that everyone that doesnt get a touring settles for cloth? I suppose to some leather is insignificant, and thats fine.... But to those where it's not, they cant even get leather as an option?

Inova, my M3 only has 37K miles. BMW engines go forever....FI or not!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Nothing

I'm not sure that's right. Perhaps the Touring is the only trim that comes with leather, I've never looked at any model but a Touring or Track. But my post on the ability to get factory leather on the Track is correct. How do I know? Because I'm getting it. I've discussed it at lenght with the dealer. I'm not paying $900 for seat covers... LMAO. I'm getting the factory leather special ordered and then the dealer is having it professionally installed on the vehicle. That said, the leather is now available on the Track.
N.

Originally posted by zeroday
Old 01-09-2004, 03:34 PM
zeroday

I'm not sure that's right. Perhaps the Touring is the only trim that comes with leather, I've never looked at any model but a Touring or Track. But my post on the ability to get factory leather on the Track is correct. How do I know? Because I'm getting it. I've discussed it at lenght with the dealer. I'm not paying $900 for seat covers... LMAO. I'm getting the factory leather special ordered and then the dealer is having it professionally installed on the vehicle. That said, the leather is now available on the Track.
N.
the factory heated seats are not available as an option. period. check nissan's web site. they must be doing something custom. 900 sounds a little high but not out of the realm of possibility for leather katzkins installed. They look very 'factory' but are not.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:48 PM
jj1814

N.
Sure, you can get AFTERMARKET (not factory) leather installed on any of the non-Touring trims...which is what your dealer is doing.

But the FACTORY leather (and heated seats) only comes on Touring.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:18 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Many people feel the after market leather is nicer than the factory. Do you need heated seats, if yes, factory leather will force you to buy the touring model.

I suggest you really listen to the bose stereo in the touring model. You are paying big bucks and many Z owners on line are unhappy with it.

If I was going to get a top in model, I would go track to get those Brembo brakes and if i wanted leather, i would just add it onto the track model. Again, that is just my personal taste and many have differnet opinions with valid reasons.

A consideration is deciding if you are going to put on after market wheels. If you buy a trak model, you might be able to sell those Ray wheels it comes stock with for about $1700-2000 as compared to maybe $500 for all the wheels on all the other models.

Good luck with any decision you make. Driving a M3 or 350Z are both good choices.

Jeff - zland

Quick Reply: To Z or not to Z, That is the question....