Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z's in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Zmandriving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_on_TE37's
Engineers created traction control for a reason. Turn on the VDC, drive normal, and youll be fine
Dont have traction control on my base model. Have only had one time driving in the rain that the rear end came loose going around a turn and had no problem correcting. The reason the rear end came loose was that I did a heal toe downshift. So watch he down shifting in the rain and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably granny shifted. Should have double clutched.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
RENFRO

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

Just keep a good tire and alignment. You'll be fine. I run the Nitto Invo. Decent grip all around. Quiet. Does really well in the rain. I'm also in Florida and have been dealing with the rain recently as well. No issues
Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Shin Beats

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still waiting for drift videos.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 AM
kyle52

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Just keep a good tire and alignment. You'll be fine. I run the Nitto Invo. Decent grip all around. Quiet. Does really well in the rain. I'm also in Florida and have been dealing with the rain recently as well. No issues
I'm also in Florida where it's been raining almost every day for the last few weeks. I'm running Nitto invos as well, 285's on the rear, and they handle really well in the rain. I've done drifting before and know how to handle a car if it does break loose around a turn.

Just go to an abandon parking lot when it's raining and get your self in a situation where you can practice correcting mistakes.. You'll have fun, and you'll know what to do if something does happen.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Shin Beats

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^And where are YOUR drift videos?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM
harman850t5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyle52
Just go to an abandon parking lot when it's raining and get your self in a situation where you can practice correcting mistakes.. You'll have fun, and you'll know what to do if something does happen.
Too bad the cops will consider it wreckless driving.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:28 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All things being equal, rear wheel drive (especially with LSD), stiff suspensions, and short wheelbases make cars scarier in the rain . Just keep good tires on and take it easy when it rains. If I lived in a rainy area and I could only have one car it would definately not be a rear wheel drive sportscar. I once succesfully drove a Z28 6speed stick in a blizzard but it took a lot of effort and it wasn't much fun. I could pretend it was no problem as I made it work but it would have been easier and safer to drive my Mazda 5 or my wifes Subaru. Whatever you do don't go with extra wide tires if you drive in lots of rain.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Kingeddie

I say its fine but don't go more then 60mph to be safe. i was just on the highway and this idiot passes me doing I say about 90mph on his z smh!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Zmandriving

I'm also in Florida where it's been raining almost every day for the last few weeks. I'm running Nitto invos as well, 285's on the rear, and they handle really well in the rain. I've done drifting before and know how to handle a car if it does break loose around a turn.

x3. I also live in Florida, been raining every evening here and also running Nitto Invos. lol. Must be popular tire for Florida drivers.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:20 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by chitownpete
All things being equal, rear wheel drive (especially with LSD), stiff suspensions, and short wheelbases make cars scarier in the rain . Just keep good tires on and take it easy when it rains. If I lived in a rainy area and I could only have one car it would definately not be a rear wheel drive sportscar. I once succesfully drove a Z28 6speed stick in a blizzard but it took a lot of effort and it wasn't much fun. I could pretend it was no problem as I made it work but it would have been easier and safer to drive my Mazda 5 or my wifes Subaru. Whatever you do don't go with extra wide tires if you drive in lots of rain.
+1

Having a stiff setup and summer tires in heavy rain is not fun! In light rain is fine, if you have to turn the wiper three clicks...slow down.

Originally Posted by Kingeddie
I say its fine but don't go more then 60mph to be safe. i was just on the highway and this idiot passes me doing I say about 90mph on his z smh!!!
Man it shocks me all the time people speed in the rain, or after water is very apparent on the streets...

Knowing the effects of water on the roads helps you handle you car better....seeing the increase of accidents in rain it's obvious folks think rain is just bad weather rather than a degrade in their car's handling/braking....

I always go to the slow lane and pull out my camera phone ...
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 AM
kyle52

Originally Posted by Zmandriving
x3. I also live in Florida, been raining every evening here and also running Nitto Invos. lol. Must be popular tire for Florida drivers.
I love my Invo's! They were on my car when I got it and I've put 12,000 miles on them so far and they still work amazing in the rain! I'm most likely going to get them again.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM
XxTexasfuryxX

I would say that the Z is like any other car, it depends on how you drive. In my personal experience, if I keep the traction control on and keep her at low RPMs I have no problems. Take that traction control off and give it some gas and you might have some problems

As long as you are being a responsible driver, there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:30 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I love my Invo's! They were on my car when I got it and I've put 12,000 miles on them so far and they still work amazing in the rain! I'm most likely going to get them again.
So far i have used the Invo, 452, G-Force TA and V12 for a daily tire and the Invo has been the best in the wet.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
So far i have used the Invo, 452, G-Force TA and V12 for a daily tire and the Invo has been the best in the wet.
i've heard bad things about the G-force TAs in the rain
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Zmandriving

When I bought my Z the previous owner had general tire brand on it. They were worn bad so I decided to get the Invo's. They are nice tire and have been good now for about 10k miles. How many miles are they supposed to last?

Last edited by Zmandriving; 08-19-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Seems like everyone in the state are running Invo's

245/35 & 285/35/19's
Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 PM
chelseafc909

From my experience of driving my 07 z base on the rain i can tell you that as long as you keep a decent speed no more than 60mph you will be fine , the only time my car fish tailed a little bit was when i took a corner and gased it a little bit , learned my lesson when it rains just drive extra safe i say get the z and drive it carefully in the rain man
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an '04 Base while living in Tampa for 2 years and never had a problem with rain. Similarly, I owned an '08 Enthusiast in Germany but not once had any difficulties in the rain. The car never saw snow, but as long you sdon't drive like a maniac in the rain you'll be fine. Fine throttle inputs when wet
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
SLIdEwAyZ25

vsc is for pansies! ive had my abs and traction/ any other electrical safty mod dissabled for the past 2 years and i live in florida. locked up the tires once when somone pulled out infront of me to do a uturn and i quickly unlocked and then started braking again. the z chassi tell you alot threw feeling but if you dont catch that feeling quick or know what it means it could put you in a bad situation.

Quick Reply: Z's in the rain